ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Analú - Age 10 - December 27, 2003
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jimi Hendrix - Drifting Return to archive
12-17-03 05:38 PM
caro After reading the thread about the Dave Matthews Band, I consciously listened to one of their tunes for the first time. I didn't like it, and tried to figure out why : that heavy drifting sound annoys me a bit.

Then again, "drifting" is not the right word, since there's this beautiful song by Jimi Hendrix (on The Cry of Love)that doesn't have that heavy, pompous atmosphere at all.

Which led me to relisten to Jimi's "Drifting", and leads me to my question : what do you all think of that song?
It's quite different from most of my favorite Jimi tunes, but I still love it. I think it's because of its simplicity, both in the lyrics and in the way the beat just turns around (don't know if that's the right expression) several times.
I've never heard any rock fan mention it, so I wondered if it wasn't usually considered as a good song?
12-17-03 05:46 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I probably shouldn't be answereing this as I am biased. But I think the basic point is that whatever Hendrix touches turns to gold. Dave Matthews is literally a "lesser being". It's not really fair to DM to compare him to Hendrix. But then again it's not fair to compare the Stones to the Beatles, as the Beatles were "lesser beings".
12-17-03 05:56 PM
caro Yes, I didn't mean to compare them; it's just that DMB seems to be one of the numerous bands that learned nothing from Jimi except how to "cover" as much space as possible with the guitars...yeah, I don't know how to call it except "heavy" - not in a good way.
BTW, I agree with the "gold" comment - even more regarding Hendrix than regarding the Stones.
12-17-03 06:01 PM
Chuck Davis 'Drifting' really is beautiful.
12-17-03 07:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Love your post Caro!

"Drifting" is a great ballad, I like it, there's a similar song and I think it's one of the best songs by Jimi is "Little Wing" from "Axis Bold as Love" for which Brian Jones recorded "Little One" (also bootleged as "My Little One") who was an outtake back then and now after 36 tears was officially released.

From the same album "Cry of Love" released in 1971 the Faces with Ronnie Wood made a cover of "Angel" and played it live during the 1973 tour and it's available in the album Coast to Coast

I uploaded "Drifting" for those who want to take a listen

DRIFTING MP3

Drifting
On a sea of forgotten teardrops
On a lifeboat
Sailing for
Your love

Sailing home

Drifting
On a sea of old heartbreaks
On a lifeboat
Sailing for
Your love
Sailing home
12-18-03 02:23 PM
Prodigal Son Yeah, the Faces did it also partly based on the fact that Rod and Ronnie recorded a version for Rod's 1972 album Never a Dull Moment, his last of his first 4-LP masterpieces.
12-18-03 02:32 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL, yes how can I forget that, you're right I'm seeing my old LP and Angel opens side 2, that's a great album!
12-19-03 04:49 PM
~AzQb
quote:
caro wrote:

Which led me to relisten to Jimi's "Drifting", and leads me to my question : what do you all think of that song?
It's quite different from most of my favorite Jimi tunes, but I still love it. I think it's because of its simplicity, both in the lyrics and in the way the beat just turns around (don't know if that's the right expression) several times.
I've never heard any rock fan mention it, so I wondered if it wasn't usually considered as a good song?

Wow caro!

Haven't been here in ages and when i DO check it out, i'm graced with THIS post of yers! ') What an honest excellent surprise.

I've rattled on and raved about Drifting on other board{s} in the past--{never here though}as it's continued to slay&boggle me since i got into CryOfLove over twenty years ago--and remains, really without peer, one song i can't get enuf of--no matter how much spun-- nor live without for very long!

Thing is, it encapsulates the man's sheer fixation with, and total love of, SOUND.

Never feel so "there"--atmospherically--{MidnightRambler studio excepted?} as with this one, right down to the feel of warm sun on my face, salt spray breeze, and seagulls crying and dipping--truly majestic Jimi at his gracious best--and thanks for posting about it.

I'm putting it on now!

~*)
12-20-03 04:42 PM
icydanger rainbow bridge feeling
ty all

then angel came down from heaven

Drifting, so sad

yes jimi Hendrix mellow drifts,
Riding with the wind, Ivy easy rider angel
Spanish magic castles made of sand too…
Later he wanted to compose classical music, and handle orchestras playing “ like Mozart “. Listening to his music, I have no doubt he is a great composer… even though there was never a later. A great loss
12-20-03 04:55 PM
icydanger magic yes

I'll see you in the next world
12-21-03 01:39 PM
Taptrick I have always loved Drifting. Stanley Jordan also has an interesting version on his Bolero album.
12-22-03 12:57 PM
caro
quote:
~AzQb wrote:
Never feel so "there"--atmospherically--{MidnightRambler studio excepted?} as with this one, right down to the feel of warm sun on my face, salt spray breeze, and seagulls crying and dipping--truly majestic Jimi at his gracious best

Looks indeed like you've been in love with that song for a long time! I get just the same feeling (except the salt breeze, go figure)
I didn't know about the Jordan version, but I'll see if I can find it.
12-22-03 02:23 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl ~AzQb!!!!!!!!!

Oh my God!

Do you know how I love you and your hubby?

True love... one love

Sincerely

Gerardo & Co.
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
12-22-03 02:25 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I'm gonna ask my buddy Keno to make maintenance more often