ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Olympiahalle -Munich September 28th, 1973
Michael Putlin

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pete' Hearing Shot - Wonder What's "Giving Out" on the Stones? Return to archive
12-21-02 08:21 AM
Street Fighting Man Pete Townshend's feeling some wear & tear these days - I wonder if any of the Stones are feeling the effects of age?

Townshend's hearing worsens

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Rock legend Pete Townshend is almost deaf
after nearly 40 years of subjecting his ears to his own crashing guitar riffs with
the British band The Who.

The Sun newspaper quoted
Townshend as saying his hearing has
worsened since the band's U.S. tour
this year. "The recent return to touring
and to me playing electric guitar --
albeit more quietly than in the '70s---
led to further deterioration of my
hearing," the paper quoted Townshend, 57, as saying.

"My right ear, which encounters my own edgy guitar and the machinegun
strokes of the drums, has suffered badly. I've no idea what I can do about this.
... I am unable to perform with in-ear monitors. In fact, they increase the often
unbearable tinnitus I suffer after shows."

During The Who's heyday in the '60s and '70s, Townshend was renowned for
smashing his guitars during live stage performances.
12-21-02 11:25 AM
Sir Stonesalot Anyone here believe in destiny?

The Rolling Stones were just MEANT to be the Greatest Rock & Roll Band on this or any other planet.

Look at the Who. The original members of the Who were every bit as talented and unruly as the Stones. They put out great, powerful tunes. They did legendary live shows. Yet for them, they will always be a second tier band. And look at them now! Two are dead, one is deaf, and will probably have to give up live shows.

But the Stones chug on. They have survived death, arrests, defections, addiction, bad business, worse women....and STILL, they are the best thing going right now.

I say it was just destined to be that way.

BTW, I feel REALLY bad for Pete. I just saw him this past summer, and you could see how much fun he was having. A real shame.

Maybe I can get Pete to teach me how to play a guitar! Anyone have his phone number?
12-21-02 04:03 PM
Highwire Rob This is so sad to read. I thoroughly enjoy Pete Townshend's solo work, his ballads and sweeter melodies as much as, if not more than, his legendary Who guitar.

God, if it would save the last of his hearing and allow him to continue to create music & perform I wish he would concentrate on the lighter decibel songs.

Let My Love Open the Door, Sheraton Gibson, A Friend is a Friend, Slit Skirts, Pure and Easy, and many others that he's written or will write are too beautiful for the artist to lose his hearing from continued loud guitar on Who Classics.

Take care of yourself Pete, please.

--Rob.
12-21-02 05:28 PM
Joey " BTW, I feel REALLY bad for Pete. I just saw him this past summer, and you could see how much fun he was having. A real shame. "

< ----- Don't worry too much about the " Chairman of the Board -- one Mr. Peter Dennis Blanford Townshend " . He is one tough S.O.B. who WILL keep powerchording until he is one hundred years old .

Damn straight little buddy . Hey Stoney , did you ever buy that " WHO ENCORE CD " of the Hershey Park show ? It's is now being offered for sale on Pete's site ( recently added along with the MSG and California shows ) .

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" The best deal I ever made was the Bargain I made with you Ronnie "

{{{{{{{{{{{{SNAGGLE JOE }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

12-21-02 05:50 PM
Mathijs Mick Jagger suffers from tinnitus on his left ear himself since the early 90's, and he wears ear plugs since the Voodoo Lounge tour. I remember a video clip on which he jokingly sais to jane Rose while taking out his ear plug "that's because of your boss". He also said in an 1995 interview that due to Richards' volume level he lost some of his hearing.

Mathijs