ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Merry Christmas everyone!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Zeppelin Review Page Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11th December 2007 11:46 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I agree with you that this is excellent wholesome entertainment. Where the absurdity lies is the fact that tickets were being sold on the secondary market for 2K a pop. I am the first in line when it comes to wholesome family entertainment. I take my kids to see "Thomas the Tank Engine" and "Sesame Street Live" when they come to town, but I would not pay 2K per ticket for them, and I do spend money when it comes to concert tickets.

nor would I. however, these are people that can afford $2K per ticket. they, by no means, set the standards for the majority of people that bought tickets via TM that average $50.
12th December 2007 04:54 PM
polytoxic
quote:
pdog wrote:

WTF? You sound like Bono with a cock in his ass giving some speech about starving kids.

Fucking Awesome!

13th December 2007 05:42 AM
Monkeytonkman I was there and i can tell you it was a cracker.

soundwise, far better than the 3 Stones shows in the summer - of course i think it helps that it was the core of the band, not gettng muddied up with too many cooks on stage.

Plants voice was surprisingly good, better than expected. It's no good denying the power of Zeppelin, you like 'em or you don't, but don't go making unqualified statements about them just because they ain't your bag.

they rocked, simple as that.
13th December 2007 07:08 AM
FotiniD Regarding the artistic side (not gross tour sales, competition etc.), I can see where some of the Zeppelin "hostility" is coming from - I mean apart from the fully understandable view that for some people they're just not their cup of tea.

Zeppelin were extremely theatrical and pompous, with obscure lyrics and exaggerations (see: bow on guitar and all). The Stones have always been more or less stripped down, raw and to the point (oh, and I like it ). Different.

But in spite of all that, I still love Zeppelin almost as much as I love the Stones
And although this piece here comes from obviously their best known song (hence disliked by some) I believe that this is one of the mighty finest line of lyrics ever written:

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

Oh baby. Beauty.
13th December 2007 11:19 AM
mojoman
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Fucking Awesome!

photo's are staged?
13th December 2007 11:59 AM
voodoopug
quote:
mojoman wrote:

photo's are staged?

obviously.
13th December 2007 04:00 PM
voodoopug Sadly Mick would have been booed off the stage by these Led Zeppelin fan as the hype surely overcame the quality. I stand by my earlier statement that Zep could have taken a dump on stage and been universally praised. I heard some of the show on various websites and wanted to puke. Anyone who fell in love with LZ cannot truly still be a Stones fan.
14th December 2007 12:20 AM
Sioux
quote:
pdog wrote:
fuck you Jb and Pug...
This is probably one of my least fav. Zep songs...
So, just imagine, that and then realize, I watched this, and said to myself... holy fuck, this is pretty good, I will go see Zep if they tour. I made my decision.
4 guys, playing rock and roll!

Ok, I know this is just one song from the concert.....but,
it sounds GOOD. I mean, good....much better than I
expected. I've read a few reviews that praised Bonham
profusely--much more than Plant or Page or JPJ. They said
that at the end of Black Dog everyone just turned and
marveled at Jason's work. I agree that it's good to have
JPJ back in the mix as well.

As far as not being a "true" Stones fan if you actually
enjoy someone else's music as well......I don't really
understand that. It's not like Brian and Mick and Keith
only liked Chuck Berry or Elmore James or Jimmy Reed to
the exclusion of any other musicians. They didn't limit
themselves, so why should we? It doesn't lessen our love
or loyalty to the band.
14th December 2007 12:55 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Sioux wrote:

Ok, I know this is just one song from the concert.....but,
it sounds GOOD. I mean, good....much better than I
expected. I've read a few reviews that praised Bonham
profusely--much more than Plant or Page or JPJ. They said
that at the end of Black Dog everyone just turned and
marveled at Jason's work. I agree that it's good to have
JPJ back in the mix as well.

As far as not being a "true" Stones fan if you actually
enjoy someone else's music as well......I don't really
understand that. It's not like Brian and Mick and Keith
only liked Chuck Berry or Elmore James or Jimmy Reed to
the exclusion of any other musicians. They didn't limit
themselves, so why should we? It doesn't lessen our love
or loyalty to the band.

Right on!!truer words have never been spoken, I tried to explain this in another post, but you explained it great, thank you.
14th December 2007 01:20 AM
Sioux I thought your post was well stated... I just threw a few
names in there. And I had a day or so to think about how
I wanted to put it...
14th December 2007 02:46 AM
FotiniD
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Anyone who fell in love with LZ cannot truly still be a Stones fan.

Now that's over the top. Here's a thought for you. I've been hopelessly in love with Led Zeppelin for years. Still am. I'm green with envy for those who could be at that gig. I DO think Robert Plant is a golden god

Yet my greatest music love is and shall remain the Rolling Stones; I've travelled twice abroad to see them (and will do again baby), have become the joke of my friends for my weird (to their eyes! ) fixation on Keith Richards, have tons of Stones stuff - so much my room cannot hold it any longer - listened to their music for hours and hours, read dozens of book about them, drove people crazy with my endless analyses on the Stones' social impact, post on a board about them almost every day.

So, does it make me any less of a Stones fan, the fact that I also love Led Zeppelin?

Grow up Voodoopug
14th December 2007 03:41 AM
IanBillen
Cashmir was by far and away the best I have seen of this show thus far.

Plant does pretty good and the band sounds pretty darn good and firing on all cylinders. JPJ stole this number.

If they could play like this on all numbers all the time they could do a mini tour as I said before.

I didn't expect them to sound this good given the clips I seen before of this show which were all kinda--- fair to mid-land.

This was much stronger and passed as a pretty decently played Live Led Zep number.

Ian
14th December 2007 04:24 AM
Zack Ian, that's "fair to middling."
14th December 2007 05:58 AM
Paul McCartney
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Sadly Mick would have been booed off the stage by these Led Zeppelin fan as the hype surely overcame the quality. I stand by my earlier statement that Zep could have taken a dump on stage and been universally praised. I heard some of the show on various websites and wanted to puke. Anyone who fell in love with LZ cannot truly still be a Stones fan.

Oh Voodoopug, just quit the lame shtick! Sadly, you jumped the shark. No amount of JB miming will save you now.

"Baby you can play my bar,
No you will not be a star
Baby you can play my bar
and baby I'll charge you"!

http://novogate.com/board/968/Archives/09%2D19%2D2005/215763-1.html
[Edited by Paul McCartney]
14th December 2007 08:42 AM
Monkeytonkman woah, here's a spooky thing, i like led Zeppelin AND I'm a stones fan!

How wierd is that?

Can someone please explain why I don't exist. I was sure I did! Am I going crazy?
14th December 2007 08:45 AM
Zack Apparently, I'm not a true Stones fan.
14th December 2007 09:04 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Zack wrote:
Apparently, I'm not a true Stones fan.

You are what you say you are and are entitled to like anything you want.Anyone disputing that right is delusional.I'm happy for all the Zep fans and can only imagine how I'd feel if it was the Stones after 30 yrs..Music is defined by how much we as individuals enjoy it regardless of its perceived quality by others.
[Edited by gimmekeef]
14th December 2007 09:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man Here are some real positives!
------------------------------------
The Sun – 14th Nov 2007

Jon Guant

SPARE ME WRINKLY HIPPIES

Forgive me for not bowing down at the alter of so-called rock gods Led Zeppelin but frankly, the coverage of the wrinkly rockers’ reunion this week has made me vomit.

Rock ‘n’ Roll is meant to be a young person’s game b but the old hippies who are now wearing suits and controlling the media have been living through a second childhood this past seven days.

For Gods sake, punk was meant to consign these preening, self-indulgent dinosaurs to the dustbin of history. But instead, 31 years later – yes, count them – Led Zep is being lauded as the greatest band ever.

Well I’m sorry, I don’t buy it.

It’s bad enough that Roger Daltrey went from singing “I hope I die before I get old” to advertising Amex. Then we had the grossly overrated Pink Floyd boring us at Live 8.

But the sight of Robert Plant looking like an extra from The Lion King mixed with a Muppet, rocking with a bloke who makes my accountant sexy and a fella, who had less life in him than John Bonham, was laughable.

At least Moon, Jones, Bonham Snr and Vicious had the good grace to die disgracefully.

14th December 2007 12:21 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

You are what you say you are and are entitled to like anything you want.Anyone disputing that right is delusional.I'm happy for all the Zep fans and can only imagine how I'd feel if it was the Stones after 30 yrs..Music is defined by how much we as individuals enjoy it regardless of its perceived quality by others.
[Edited by gimmekeef]

words of wisdow: thanks gimmekeef
I ve been listening the the "Remasters" stuff this morning and there are great songs.
Im not fan but I liked it.

I love the Stones but Im also a big fan of CCR which I listen too every day.

Z poster, no Stones fan but still here....and waiting for someone to kick me out of the asylum if he 's got balls LOL
14th December 2007 12:24 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Here are some real positives!
The Sun – 14th Nov 2007

Jon Guant

SPARE ME WRINKLY HIPPIES

Forgive me for not bowing down at the alter of so-called rock gods Led Zeppelin but frankly, the coverage of the wrinkly rockers’ reunion this week has made me vomit.

Rock ‘n’ Roll is meant to be a young person’s game b but the old hippies who are now wearing suits and controlling the media have been living through a second childhood this past seven days.

For Gods sake, punk was meant to consign these preening, self-indulgent dinosaurs to the dustbin of history. But instead, 31 years later – yes, count them – Led Zep is being lauded as the greatest band ever.

It’s bad enough that Roger Daltrey went from singing “I hope I die before I get old” to advertising Amex. Then we had the grossly overrated Pink Floyd boring us at Live 8.

But the sight of Robert Plant looking like an extra from The Lion King mixed with a Muppet, rocking with a bloke who makes my accountant sexy and a fella, who had less life in him than John Bonham, was laughable.

At least Moon, Jones, Bonham Snr and Vicious had the good grace to die disgracefully.

Man, I hope this guy didn t attend the Stones shows this summer!!!!
14th December 2007 12:58 PM
Sioux No kidding! Seriously though, I think back in the 60's rock
WAS for the young people and the band members were, of
course, young. And maybe they don't quite kick with the
ferocity that they used to. But ya know? THAT was THE
music. It's never gotten any better. And I'd rather hear
the guys of old doing the timeless tunes rather than most
of the punks today who only worship at their feet...
14th December 2007 01:03 PM
pdog
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Here are some real positives!
The Sun – 14th Nov 2007

Jon Guant

SPARE ME WRINKLY HIPPIES

I have a feeling Celine dion CD's get alot of play in this guys house!
Did anyone ever before this, call Sid's OD after murdering his girlfriend graceful? I'd like to stab this guy if I ever make a decision to get back on heroin...
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)