ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Merry Christmas everyone!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Missing Stones guitar found Return to archive
10th December 2007 10:06 AM
FotiniD From undercover.com.au (http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=3600) :

A guitar once belonging to Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones that has been missing since the early 60s has been recovered in London.

The family of Basil "Tug" Williams, a London based dentist has come forward saying the guitar was given to Williams to cover a dental bill by a Rolling Stones crew member.

The guitar was bought for £30 in 1959 by then Stones manager Dick Hattrell, and is thought to be the guitar that Jones taught Keith Richards to play on.

The family is loaning the guitar to a museum dedicated to the guitarist at the Wheatsheaf pub near Cheltenham, where Jones first hit the stage.

It is now thought to be worth £250,000.
10th December 2007 11:02 AM
voodoopug
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
From undercover.com.au (http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=3600) :

A guitar once belonging to Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones that has been missing since the early 60s has been recovered in London.

The family of Basil "Tug" Williams, a London based dentist has come forward saying the guitar was given to Williams to cover a dental bill by a Rolling Stones crew member.

The guitar was bought for £30 in 1959 by then Stones manager Dick Hattrell, and is thought to be the guitar that Jones taught Keith Richards to play on.

The family is loaning the guitar to a museum dedicated to the guitarist at the Wheatsheaf pub near Cheltenham, where Jones first hit the stage.

It is now thought to be worth £250,000.

I always laugh when I read that Brian taught Keith to play guitar....not even the stories in Ronnie's book are this outlandish. The guitar should be given back to the dentist as he earned it with his dental work!!!
10th December 2007 01:24 PM
Sioux Well, Brian taught Mick blues harp and how to move a bit on
stage instead of just standing there. And it's not too
far-fetched to think that Keith could have only known
3 chords back then {he wouldn't have been the first!}. So,
I think it's entirely possible that Brian taught Keith some
things on the guitar....

Now, I am ducking and covering in anticipation of the
onslaught of hate posts from the Brian bashers out there..
{ROLLEYES}
10th December 2007 01:32 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Sioux wrote:
Well, Brian taught Mick blues harp and how to move a bit on
stage instead of just standing there. And it's not too
far-fetched to think that Keith could have only known
3 chords back then {he wouldn't have been the first!}. So,
I think it's entirely possible that Brian taught Keith some
things on the guitar....

Now, I am ducking and covering in anticipation of the
onslaught of hate posts from the Brian bashers out there..
{ROLLEYES}

Not bashing Brian, but grab a copy of any of the home recordings by Little Boy Blue...Keith was playing more than 3 chords...I'm sure Keef picked up a few things from Brian...and Brian could have learned a few things from Keef...particularly some right hand rhythm...Brian did not "teach" Keef guitar...Chuck Berry did

http://rockbits.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=gencrap&action=display&thread=1187888365

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
10th December 2007 01:43 PM
jb
10th December 2007 01:57 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Not bashing Brian, but grab a copy of any of the home recordings by Little Boy Blue...Keith was playing more than 3 chords...I'm sure Keef picked up a few things from Brian...and Brian could have learned a few things from Keef...particularly some right hand rhythm...Brian did not "teach" Keef guitar...Chuck Berry did

http://rockbits.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=gencrap&action=display&thread=1187888365

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

This is the most painful thing I have typed in months:

I AGREE WITH FIJI JOE 100%.
10th December 2007 02:10 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

This is the most painful thing I have typed in months:

I AGREE WITH FIJI JOE 100%.

Not only nerdy, Pug nerdy!!!
10th December 2007 02:11 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Not only nerdy, Pug nerdy!!!

What can I say.....it pained me to agree with Lil' Fella (Lil' Fij), but we have always prided ourselves on keeping it real.....and as Lewis Skulnick taught us, there is a little nerd in all of us!
10th December 2007 02:23 PM
jb
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

What can I say.....it pained me to agree with Lil' Fella (Lil' Fij), but we have always prided ourselves on keeping it real.....and as Lewis Skulnick taught us, there is a little nerd in all of us!

peace,
josh
10th December 2007 05:19 PM
stonedinaustralia even more ridiculous is this - "by then Stones manager Dick Hattrell"

WTF??

10th December 2007 05:31 PM
voodoopug
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
even more ridiculous is this - "by then Stones manager Dick Hattrell"

WTF??

People tend to re write history so that it fits the version most beneficial to them.

These are the same people who praise Led Zeppelin...
10th December 2007 07:01 PM
BriansBabe
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

Hey Fiji Joe, honey, be sweet otherwise you do never get that Brian Pyjama pic ...
No, I also don´t think, that Brian teach Keith how to play guitar...it could be, that it was maybe Brians input to let the guitar play between them "dance together" and the both work hard as long as it sounds like it was one guitar not two...
10th December 2007 07:15 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
BriansBabe wrote:

Hey Fiji Joe, honey, be sweet otherwise you do never get that Brian Pyjama pic ...
No, I also don´t think, that Brian teach Keith how to play guitar...it could be, that it was maybe Brians input to let the guitar play between them "dance together" and the both work hard as long as it sounds like it was one guitar not two...

I agree...give and take between them...Brian gets a bad rap...just like Mick Taylor...Certainly early on it was Brian who was the driving force behind the Stones...that's the truth
10th December 2007 11:40 PM
Sioux
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I'm sure Keef picked up a few things from Brian...and Brian could have learned a few things from Keef...particularly some right hand rhythm...Brian did not "teach" Keef guitar...Chuck Berry did

[Edited by Fiji Joe]

Well, if you re-read my post, I said that Brian could
have taught Keith "some things" on the guitar. I didn't
say he taught him the guitar entirely....sure, there was
give and take. I think that was a bit later on---the winter
of '62. I think it's fairly safe to say that Brian was
more accomplished on the guitar {including slide} than
Keith was in those early days. I do think their true
strength came in the form of the guitar "weaving" that
they used so effectively in those first, wonderful,
productive years....

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)