ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Merry Christmas everyone!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 81 year-old Scotch sells for $54,000 Return to archive
9th December 2007 04:39 PM
steel driving hammer 2 hours, 40 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A bottle of 81-year-old Scotch sold for $54,000 at this New York's first liquor auction since Prohibition.

An anonymous collector bought the pricey potable at Christie's sale of wines and spirits on Saturday.

The 100-lot auction sold a total of $304,800 worth of rare wine and liquor. The top lot was a collection of 729 bottles of whisky, which went for $102,000.

The $54,000 bottle was distilled at Macallan in Scotland in 1926, bottled in 1986 and rebottled in 2002.

Prohibition lasted from 1920 to 1933, but New York State did not allow auctions of spirits until this year.

9th December 2007 04:45 PM
MrPleasant Woman who 'lost count after drinking 14 vodkas' awarded £7,000 over New Year fall from bridge
FRANK URQUHART
([email protected])
A PENSIONER who allegedly admitted drinking 14 vodkas as she celebrated the new millennium has been awarded £7,000 in damages after she fell into a burn while first-footing.

Helen Trueman, 62, sued Aberdeenshire Council for damages after she tripped over a dilapidated fence bordering the burn, fracturing her spine.

In the darkness, she tried to grab on to a "non-existent" hand-rail of a bridge across the stream and stumbled down the bank in a park in Portlethen owned by Aberdeenshire Council.

Her lawyer had agreed with Aberdeenshire Council that £35,000 was a reasonable estimate for the loss and injury Mrs Trueman, of Portlethen, suffered in the fall in the early hours of New Year's Day, 2000.

But, in a judgment issued at Aberdeen, Sheriff Kiernan McLernan ruled that Mrs Trueman was 80 per cent responsible for the accident and reduced her damages award to £7,000.

Mrs Trueman and her witnesses had maintained that she had consumed only three glasses of wine during the millennium celebrations. But the judgment revealed hospital records disclosed that, when asked how much she had to drink, Mrs Trueman told the doctor who treated her: "I lost count after the 14th vodka."

The medical staff thought Mrs Trueman was "too drunk" to be trusted with her own safety and she was detained in hospital.

According to the judgment, Mrs Trueman and a friend, Linda Graham, had set off across Burnside Park in Portlethen to continue first-footing. They unlinked arms as they approached the footbridge and Ms Graham went across first.

Her friend followed behind her, but Sheriff McLernan stated: "Mrs Trueman reached out with her left hand to grasp the handrail of what she thought was the north-most end of the bridge. She stumbled to her left as her outstretched left arm did not contact the east handrail of the bridge.

"As she stumbled to her left, her foot was caught by the bottom wire of the depleted fence. That catch accentuated her state of imbalance and she fell and tumbled down the bank."

A stretch of the fence was dilapidated and the council was adjudged to have failed to take reasonable care to maintain it in a condition that did not constitute a danger to the public.

But Sheriff McLernan ruled: "I take into account the fact that [Mrs Trueman] had lost the support of her friend, who had been linked to her on her right, and that the consumption of alcohol and the time of the morning would have had some effect on her nimbleness of foot.

"Her contribution to the accident is very high. I would assess it at 80 per cent."

Mrs Trueman said yesterday: "I deserve a lot more money. The past few years have been hell, and it's the council's fault."

A council spokesman said it would "consider the implications of the judgment and take any steps ... necessary".

But Alex Johnstone, the Conservative MSP for North East Scotland, said: "It's unfortunate the authority was found to be at fault here. Individuals have to be responsible for their own actions and their own safety after they've been drinking. I think the council got a raw deal."

SO SUE THEM...
THE compensation culture in Scotland pales into insignificance compared with the plethora of cases in the US court system.

One of the most celebrated cases in the US is that of Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old pensioner who was hospitalised with third-degree burns after scalding herself with a coffee she bought at McDonald's.

A jury awarded her $200,000 in compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages.

Trips on Cardiff's pavements have cost the local council a total of £2.3 million in compensation claims over the past five years.

The authority had to deal with more than 1,800 claims for compensation.

This article: http://news.scotsman.com/aberdeen.cfm?id=1908672007

Last updated: 07-Dec-07 00:46 GMT
9th December 2007 04:58 PM
fireontheplatter i hate scotch....makes me shiver
9th December 2007 04:59 PM
Some Guy possibly skunky.
9th December 2007 05:00 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
possibly skunky.

possibly?
9th December 2007 05:02 PM
steel driving hammer It makes me shiver too but this Scotch prolly tastes like smooth syrup.

Why The Prohibition Ronnie?

9th December 2007 09:48 PM
The jinn, my friend.
10th December 2007 06:00 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
2 hours, 40 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A bottle of 81-year-old Scotch sold for $54,000 at this New York's first liquor auction since Prohibition.

Mmmm (glug glug) Aaah... that'll make your bull run.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
10th December 2007 07:06 AM
lotsajizz Irish is better
10th December 2007 10:26 AM
jb That is awesome!!!!
10th December 2007 10:31 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Irish is better

Try Michael Collins single malt Irish.....very good and a tad less than $54,000.
10th December 2007 10:32 AM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Try Michael Collins single malt Irish.....very good and a tad less than $54,000.

Ardbeg is the best imo...but this is quite a find.
10th December 2007 10:55 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

Ardbeg is the best imo...but this is quite a find.

jb..have you tried Highland Park 12?....Good stuff...I'll five Ardberg a shot

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)