ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Merry Christmas everyone!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If Zep tours will people forget about The Stones for a few years?...from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
6th December 2007 12:51 PM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

"The Stones haven't done much since Led Zep" Really??? How about that for the understatement so far in 2007. See the years:

81-82, 83, 86, 89-90, 94-95, 97-98, 99-2000, 2002-03, 2005, 06, 07...

All these years were very active years for the band in one way or another. Meaning all these years had brand new albums released, or major tours, or both coinciding.

This is not including music videos, in which there are several.

Ian

As Gazza mentioned, I was talking about music. Sure tours are fun events and but other than for bootleg collectors and die hards, they don't really have the same enduring quality as good albums do.

And I don't even think of post Undercover Stones as being a real band, I prefer to use Keith's term of "virtual corporation."
6th December 2007 12:54 PM
glencar
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I hope I die peacefully before I have to take meds to take a leak...

Minor inconvenience, me boyo!
6th December 2007 12:54 PM
glencar BTW I am NOT in that category yet!
6th December 2007 12:59 PM
bilsim How do we know the "new" Led Zep will be any good, their previous "reunions" have been shocking.
6th December 2007 01:46 PM
IanBillen
The Stones put out real good albums as well since 1980. TY, VL, BTB, ABB . Undecover was pretty decent as well.

I have not heard anything about an album with Led Zep. Page says he has ideas recorded but by himself and nothing is happening yet, maybe ever as far as a tour or recording so how the hell does nayone know about a new album that does not exist...

Ian
6th December 2007 01:49 PM
glencar Burp.
6th December 2007 01:51 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
Burp.

A posh food store in New York's Greenwich Village has found itself red faced after offering hams for sale with the slogan "Delicious for Hanukkah," the current Jewish religious holiday.

The non-kosher labelling was spotted at the weekend by Manhattan novelist Nancy Kay Shapiro, 46, who decided instead of alerting management to take a picture of the unorthodox sign and post it on the Internet.

"I just thought it was funny," Shapiro, who described herself as an unobservant Jew, told the New York Post. "I wasn't offended in any way. I just thought, here's somebody who knows nothing about what Jews eat."

By the time Shapiro returned to the store on Tuesday, the first night of Hanukkah, the signs had vanished, the newspaper reported.

A manager at the Balducci's gourmet grocery store told the newspaper that the sign was a mistake and blamed it on a stock clerk.

Pork and shellfish are among the foods considered unclean under Jewish law.

6th December 2007 01:52 PM
glencar Balducci's is quite expensive. Pretty funny story!
6th December 2007 01:53 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Balducci's is quite expensive. Pretty funny story!

Stanley Crouch
'O' stands for Oprah, Obama and overestimating influence

Monday, December 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM

Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama are both from the garden of the unexpected that produces so many surprises in American life. Although black people have always been as surprising as the social circumstances allowed, things have changed so much over the past 25 years that, at long last, it is not impossible to imagine a black American President.

But in some signal ways Oprah Winfrey is more unexpected than Barack Obama - or Colin Powell, who could have been elected if he had gone out and sought the Republican nomination, taking the seat in which Bob Dole sat when Bill Clinton rolled over him on the way to his second term in the White House.

Powell was then seen as a war hero and an extremely intelligent military man, and there was no high-profile American man more impressive. Rupert Murdoch was itching to throw the weight of his media empire behind Powell, which would have meant that every single day viewers of Fox News were fated to see electronic love letters sent to the general.

Such backing could have changed the minds of those who were opposed to him solely on racial grounds. But now we will never know.

In this presidential race, we're in for a different experiment. It is quite possible that Oprah Winfrey will turn some big tides for Obama, now that she has declared her intention to campaign for him. But there is plenty of doubt about whether that will be enough to help the Illinois senator win some of the primaries that were assumed to be there for Hillary Clinton's taking.

There are few who admire Winfrey's work more than I do. Oprah Winfrey is, as I have called her before, the American Queen of Goodwill - and a very likable billionaire who has repeatedly shown more concern for those below her than those who travel through the same rarefied financial air that she does.

In fact, Winfrey's public record is so impressive that if she were seen as a politician, she could have a fighting chance to become the first woman to sit at the desk in the Oval Office.

But she is not running, Obama is. And that will make all of the difference: Americans are developing a relationship here with him, not her. Although millions of Americans love and trust Winfrey, the question is whether or not they will always agree with her, or conclude that, in this instance, she has stepped too far outside of her television and philanthropic empires.

In the end, I doubt that she will get that many black or female voters to give Clinton the hot-potato routine. Obama's campaign should not overestimate her influence. Oprah is persuasive and she is powerful, but it is unlikely she can convince many primary voters that it is worth rejecting Clinton and embracing Obama.

Democrats this year seem to have a feeling that Clinton can return the country to the feeling of power and goodwill that Bill Clinton, rhetorically at least, came to represent.

A few years ago, before anyone actually started to campaign for presidential nominations in 2008, I thought that the most interesting and exciting battle could be fought between Sen. Clinton and Secretary of State Rice. The debates could have been some of the best since those between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas. What doozies those could have been.

Now we will see just how powerful Winfrey is and how much our celebrity-driven media will trivialize her backing of Obama.

Beyond that, we will see what the impact of our most popular black American can have on a presidential race and whether, like her talk show, the appeal will reach across ethnic lines.

[email protected]
Discuss this Article

3 comments so far. Add your comment below!.

To post comments, REGISTER or LOG IN

healthvotr Dec 5, 2007 12:06:31 AM
Add another "O" for going over the line. According to the NYT and Chicago Sun-Times, the "price" of admissions to these events is a pledge to vote, volunteer or caucus for Obama. A copy of the ticket (with pledge) for the 18,000 people attending the rally at Columbia's Colonial Center accompanies the NYT article at http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/oprah-overload-alert/ In Iowa, people have to pledge to volunteer or caucus for Obama. For those of us who are not familiar with how Iowa caucuses work, there is no secret ballot. http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2007/11/sweet_column_oprah_tours_with.html Oprah has every right to use her considerable fame to encourage people to listen to and consider Barack Obama. But she should not ask for a pledge to volunteer, vote or caucus for him until the voters have had the chance to hear him, consider his message, compare it to that of the other candidates, and then decide for themselves. Free of coercion. Requiring an une

healthvotr Dec 5, 2007 12:12:32 AM
oops, went over, will not do again, but wanted to urge the Os to reconsider: Requiring an unenforceable, possibly illegal, pledge is not only a disservice to voters and the free election process, but to Senator Obama himself. Obama would be wise to put an end to this stunt before he loses more votes than he gains. Unlike Hillary's silly "Kindergate" attack, this could actually hurt him.

Wayne R. Serbin Dec 5, 2007 6:54:34 PM
Anybody who votes for a candidate just upon the recomendation of a TV celebrity is, im my mind just plain stupid. Next Oscar the Grouch will be having campaign fundraisers for Elmer in the latter's garbage can on Sesame Street.

* Send this article to a friend Email
* Add to Delicious Print
* Discuss This Article Discuss

* Digg This Article Digg
* Add to Delicious Del.icio.us
* Seed this article Newsvine
* Add to Reddit Reddit
* Add to furl Furl
* Stumble This Article Stumble

Related Articles