ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Merry Christmas everyone!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If Zep tours will people forget about The Stones for a few years?...from Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
6th December 2007 03:01 AM
IanBillen What "if", they tour? The hoopla would hinder a Stones extravaganza. Two tours of that size are not going to co-exist in the same time frame with each doing well given the fact they are both seen as a band of the ages.

*nothing is confirmed. Right now it is only talk...and may or may not remain so.

But will this hinder The Stones current success, or put a stop to the thought of The Stones doing anything in that time frame if our boys decide they want to get back at it sooner or later?

*CERTAINLY when the smoke clears The Stones will be remembered as doing "leagues" more than Zep of-coarse. Remember Zep have been non-existant for like 27 years...
not to mention they lost their powerhouse drummer.

But for now, will it throw off any major plans our boys may be thinking of "IF" and that is a strong "IF" it happens?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
6th December 2007 03:04 AM
Ronnie Richards No.
6th December 2007 03:11 AM
JohnLeeHacker How forget the R. Stones?
Only Alzheimer.
6th December 2007 03:48 AM
Dan
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
What "if", they tour? The hoopla would hinder a Stones extravaganza. Two tours of that size are not going to co-exist in the same time frame with each doing well given the fact they are both seen as a band of the ages.

There may be shows in 2007 but there won't be any extravaganza.

quote:

*nothing is confirmed. Right now it is only talk...and may or may not remain so.

But will this hinder The Stones current success, or put a stop to the thought of The Stones doing anything in that time frame if our boys decide they want to get back at it sooner or later?

In competing for concert dollars, Zeppelin would win hands down in 2008. However, limited arena shows in major markets would cater to more than just local fans.

LA/New York/Vegas and if there are any cities in Canada they haven't played in awhile like Winnipeg or Edmonton might be safe.

quote:

*CERTAINLY when the smoke clears The Stones will be remembered as doing "leagues" more than Zep of-coarse. Remember Zep have been non-existant for like 27 years...
not to mention they lost their powerhouse drummer.

The Stones did leagues more before Led Zeppelin existed but not all that much of note since.

quote:

But for now, will it throw off any major plans our boys may be thinking of "IF" and that is a strong "IF" it happens?

As far as I know there isn't really going to be a full scale tour in 2008, mainly cities they didn't get to in 2005-2007 with perhaps a few more shows in the usual places.
6th December 2007 04:15 AM
IanBillen
"The Stones haven't done much since Led Zep" Really??? How about that for the understatement so far in 2007. See the years:

81-82, 83, 86, 89-90, 94-95, 97-98, 99-2000, 2002-03, 2005, 06, 07...

All these years were very active years for the band in one way or another. Meaning all these years had brand new albums released, or major tours, or both coinciding.

This is not including music videos, in which there are several.

Ian

6th December 2007 04:21 AM
marko What stones did in 2000?Nothing as fas as i remember.
6th December 2007 04:21 AM
IanBillen
"As far as I know there isn't really going to be a full scale tour in 2008, mainly cities they didn't get to in 2005-2007 with perhaps a few more shows in the usual places".

Really, OK, but if this is true, what is the point? Getting their whole entourage together for some select shows. They have just completed the longest tour in the bands history!

What stage will they use? Surely not ABB again. So a new stage, more rehearsals, the whole machine again,

And for what? just to hit a few cities now and again. They never did this before.

Nothing new to really go on either. Why do it? Why not wait for another big push with a new release of some sort?

Really, I know what you are saying and I have heard the rumors, but for what purpose would this serve?

Ian
6th December 2007 05:42 AM
speedfreakjive if Led Zeppelin DO decide to tour, and I mean a proper 20 + date tour then it is likely that if done at the same time it would overshadow the Stones' mini-tour
6th December 2007 07:07 AM
Nellcote Ian, you can remember the Stones forever if you would spring for the ABB dvd's, via the Rocks Off link...
Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.
6th December 2007 07:09 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Really, OK, but if this is true, what is the point? Getting their whole entourage together for some select shows. They have just completed the longest tour in the bands history!

What stage will they use? Surely not ABB again. So a new stage, more rehearsals, the whole machine again,

And for what? just to hit a few cities now and again. They never did this before.

Nothing new to really go on either. Why do it? Why not wait for another big push with a new release of some sort?

Really, I know what you are saying and I have heard the rumors, but for what purpose would this serve?

Ian

hasnt this been answered a few weeks ago?

Everything Dan states is correct.

they dont need to have an excuse for a 'big tour' anymore. Other acts are able to do that and perform on a regular basis without having something to 'promote' (The Stones didnt even promote ABB for the last year of the most recent tour, so the promotional aspect is pretty meaningless). The official reason is as a tie-in with 'Shine a Light' as well as preceding it with shows in Asia - a market barely touched in recent years, and in some reagions, if ever.

There ARE other ways of touring and other reasons for doing so. If theyre going to continue as a touring entity they cant exactly sit around for another 3 years and then spend a couple of years on the road anymore. Its called ageing.

Its already been mentioned before - by Charlotte - that it will be a new tour with a new stage. And they hardly need massive rehearsals as by the time they resume touring they'll have been off the road barely six months. And its not 'select shows'. There's more to their plans in 2008 than just some US shows. I'd expect anything up to 40 shows in the first half of the year between Asia and the US. No idea if they have anything planned for the second half of the year, but you never know.
[Edited by Gazza]
6th December 2007 07:12 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

"The Stones haven't done much since Led Zep" Really??? How about that for the understatement so far in 2007. See the years:

81-82, 83, 86, 89-90, 94-95, 97-98, 99-2000, 2002-03, 2005, 06, 07...

All these years were very active years for the band in one way or another. Meaning all these years had brand new albums released, or major tours, or both coinciding.

This is not including music videos, in which there are several.

Ian

he obviously means musically, and unfortunately post-1980 the Stones (rightly or wrongly) are not going to be remembered for what records they put out in that time.
6th December 2007 07:22 AM
Ronnie Richards Post-1981, to be precise..
6th December 2007 08:18 AM
Mel Belli I have a feeling we'll be reading a lot of pieces like this (Stones-related assertion in bold):

music box
Stairway to Stardom
If Led Zeppelin reunites, will they play the song that almost destroyed them?
By Andrew Goodwin
Posted Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2007, at 12:19 PM ET

Led Zeppelin, which is reuniting for a one-off charity gig in London on Dec. 10, appears to be positioning itself to make the Biggest News in the History of Rock: a new album and world tour—a prospect described by Billboard's Ray Waddell as "like twenty Super Bowls rolled into one." While there are still many obstacles to a Zeppelin tour, the most vexing may be that Robert Plant will have to overcome his reluctance to sing the song that has done the most damage to the band. Yes, "Stairway to Heaven."

Variously described as "a song of hope" (Plant), "an optimistic song" (Jimmy Page), and "a wedding song" (these words popped into Plant's mind as he was finishing the lyrics—his unconscious muse tipping him off to the mixed blessing that he had just received), "Stairway to Heaven" remains the closest thing Zeppelin has to a hit, as it was their policy not to release singles. In 1971, when the band refused to edit the song into four minutes of radio-friendly pop, stations simply started playing the whole track, and it soon became the most requested song on rock radio.

It also turned Zeppelin into a joke. It was "Stairway" that branded Zeppelin as spaced-out mystics. It was "Stairway" that drove them to the madness of the absurd fantasy sequences in their movie The Song Remains the Same. It was "Stairway" that sold them to a mass audience that found it amusing to hold lighters aloft throughout the song, perhaps under the understandable impression that they were attending a concert by the Moody Blues. Plant has disowned "Stairway." But "Stairway" would be an essential component in any set list constructed by a band calling itself Led Zeppelin.

The first rungs of the stairway were borrowed from the band Spirit (their song "Taurus" is clearly the inspiration for the opening chord sequence), for whom Zeppelin had opened on their first American tour, in 1968-69. By the time of 1970's Led Zeppelin III, Page was convinced that the band needed to work on an extended composition—his one criticism of III is that it lacked "a long track." And so "Stairway" was pieced together, over two or three years, until its appearance on the untitled fourth album, which was intended to show the group's critics that the music would sell itself, even encased in a sleeve that made no mention of the band or an album title.

Plant seemingly realized that he'd written some kind of classic, and Page saw "Stairway" as Plant's coming-of-age as a lyricist. They had high expectations for the song. It had gone down well in concert before the album was released, and Page decided to print the lyrics to this one song on the inner sleeve—the first time Zeppelin's lyrics had been used on album artwork. "[The] moment at which the stairway to heaven becomes something actually possible for the audience would also be the moment of greatest danger." So wrote no less an authority on the dangers of transcendence than William Burroughs. The quote is from a 1975 interview with Page in the rock magazine Crawdaddy. Burroughs was thinking of the risks posed to an audience by overexposure to the magical energy of Zeppelin's music. If that strikes you as hyperbolic, then we can assume that you have not listened to "When the Levee Breaks" under the headphones for quite some time.

Page had developed a new approach to rock, based on a multilayered "guitar army" (his words), ragalike uses of sevens and fives in meter, insistent drones drawn from folk music, and hypnotic, shifting cycles that swirled around you (during the elongated endings to "Celebration Day" and "Out On the Tiles" on Led Zeppelin III), and which sometimes sucked you right under (the sublime closing minutes of "When the Levee Breaks"). The notion of a new magic art—trance rock based on non-Western scales and nonstandardized song architecture coupled with odd bar structures—had already occurred to Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones, to George Harrison of the Beatles, and to the Grateful Dead. But Jimmy Page was the first to harness these ideas to the tantric possibilities of the modern recording studio.

Does "Stairway to Heaven" possess these qualities? Absolutely not. The guitar army, yes, that is there. But this song is not just atypical of Zeppelin's music, it is unique among their epic tracks in that it privileges melodic/lyrical development at the expense of rhythmic exploration and timbral/psychoacoustic experimentation.

It also doesn't help that the lyrics appear to be an index of a confused mind. If, for instance, the lady at the beginning of the song is a fool (she believes, after all, that she can buy a stairway to heaven), then why at the end of this long and winding lyrical road is she shining white light and showing us how everything still turns to gold? Some critics have turned themselves inside out trying to prove that this must be a different lady. Cultural-studies theorists will see this is an "open" text. Industry bean counters will notice that its ambiguity is the key to its popularity.

Let's be clear about just how aberrant this track is, in the context of the Zeppelin oeuvre: In Almost Famous—Cameron Crowe's airbrushed account of the 1970s rock scene—it is "Stairway," naturally, that the young aspiring rock crit plays to his uptight mother when he wants permission to cover the beauty and the debauchery that was Led Zeppelin on the road. (The scene is available as a bonus feature on the DVD.) If the Crowe character had played his mom "Dazed and Confused" (or worse, "Gallows Pole") one imagines that she would have said no.

As Erik Davis points out in his unsurpassed book on the fourth album, "Stairway" is so familiar to us that it's a real challenge to listen to it. "Stairway" live suffered from the comparison with the warm acoustic guitar layers of the studio recording that are stuffed deep inside our collective aural memory. "Stairway" is also one of the few tracks that loses something essential from the absence of bass guitar when played live: Whereas usually John Paul Jones' dexterity at the keyboard bass pedals and John Bonham's ocean-deep kick drum fill the gap at the bottom of the sound, here the inevitable comparisons with the lushness of the studio version leave Zeppelin sounding like a lame cover band.

So, will the audience hear "Stairway" on Dec. 10 and will Zep reunite? We can expect a yes to that first question, but the business of reconstructing the band as a live unit could be protracted. While Page and Jones are keeping their options open, Robert Plant, the man who has said that he no longer wants to sing "Stairway" and who has the most to lose from a reunion (he has a successful solo career) is the key. The deciding factors lie in some combination of art and industry—how much Plant enjoys Dec. 10 multiplied by what he stands to gain from the new publishing deal.

The stakes are very high. Zeppelin, even in its heyday, was a notoriously inconsistent proposition, and today the "Zeppelin mystique" has been passed on to many new generations of music fans for whom live Zeppelin is a digital video experience. A new album and tour could seal their reputation as bigger (and much more important) than the Rolling Stones, or … it could expose that mystique as a mere facade. Page, Plant, and Jones are highly intelligent men who have to balance aesthetic and financial decisions in the face of extraordinary demand. The Web site for the London show's 20,000 tickets received more than 1 million hits. One hopes they will remember that all that glitters is not gold.

Andrew Goodwin is a professor of media studies at the University of San Francisco. He teaches a class on Led Zeppelin and is writing a book about the band's music. He also blogs at http://www.professorofpop.blogspot.com.

Article URL: http://www.slate.com/id/2179112/
6th December 2007 08:57 AM
Some Guy new U2 album and tour in oh eight will be large.
6th December 2007 09:09 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
new U2 album and tour in oh eight will be large.

Sounds like they might be trending back to a trancey, "Pop"-sounding record. I think part of what propelled them on recent tours was the back-to-roots appeal of their last two albums. But you're right; it's be gonna be huge no matter what.
6th December 2007 09:16 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Sounds like they might be trending back to a trancey, "Pop"-sounding record. I think part of what propelled them on recent tours was the back-to-roots appeal of their last two albums. But you're right; it's be gonna be huge no matter what.

a buddy told me they were leaning towards a more rock influenced album- he may be wrong.
6th December 2007 09:41 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

a buddy told me they were leaning towards a more rock influenced album- he may be wrong.

I can't remember where I saw the Bono quote (RollingStone.com, I think), but he seemed to indicate the opposite. Who knows.
6th December 2007 11:41 AM
jb Zeppelin , off course will overshadow all as they have not toured(sans the terrible Page/Plant crap) in decades. While commercially always bigger sellers than Stones, they are like the Michael Jackson of heavy metal....far from any real influence like the Stones have had on rock....
6th December 2007 11:54 AM
glencar If Zep tours will people forget about The Stones for a few years?

NO!
6th December 2007 11:55 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
If Zep tours will people forget about The Stones for a few years?

NO!

How is the bladder???
6th December 2007 11:56 AM
glencar Well, it's always gonna be the same unless it gets worse...so, I'll live.
6th December 2007 11:56 AM
glencar And yours?
6th December 2007 11:59 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
And yours?

I am urinating without a bag which is good....I took Flomax for a month, but my flow remain kinda weak..interestingly, my prostate is normal as is my bladder...I simply have a "slow flow"...
6th December 2007 12:01 PM
glencar My prostate like my member is "slightly enlarged..."
6th December 2007 12:05 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
My prostate like my member is "slightly enlarged..."

Watch it closely and take that medicine which is very effective for BPH...
6th December 2007 12:25 PM
glencar No, I will not take that medicine. It's only slightly enlarged. And it might interfere with my medicine for ...restless leg syndrome!
6th December 2007 12:28 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, I will not take that medicine. It's only slightly enlarged. And it might interfere with my medicine for ...restless leg syndrome!

Interesting....your nuerologist should be informed. I will be in the city 12/28-1/2.
6th December 2007 12:29 PM
glencar I'll be around, I think. Please contact!
6th December 2007 12:42 PM
mrhipfl I hope I die peacefully before I have to take meds to take a leak...
6th December 2007 12:43 PM
jb
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I hope I die peacefully before I have to take meds to take a leak...

funny!!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)