ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Marseille: should I be happy or worried? Return to archive
12-18-02 12:42 PM
egon So here it is;

Got my (field)tickets for Marseille this morning. 5 in total, eur 51.50 each.

So, I�m happy� Or am I?

Showed up just before opening of the fnac (French virgin)
Shop opens and I�m right in the front of the ticket line, with maybe 10 people in before and 60 behind me. Within 20 minutes I was out of there. There was no shouting, no blood, and no mass hysteria. This was so unlike any time I bought my tickets in Holland, when each time there were about 4/500 people waiting, screaming and punching, and where they sell out 5 shows in 2 hours.

Weird.

I did some Christmas shopping the rest of the day, returned to fnac in the afternoon only to find that they were still selling tickets�

That�s when I started to get really worried.

You see, on the last tour the stones sold 20 of the 80.000 tickets at Marseille and they cancelled the show. The �official� reason was because Keith hurt his hand while reading a book in the library (or something), but they never re-scheduled the show�

The whole thing does not feel right.

Jacques my French friend, you might be right after all!!!

12-18-02 12:51 PM
jb They played one show at stadium instead of 2....still had about 80k...is this for a stadium or arerna?
12-18-02 12:57 PM
egon are you sure?
cos that would be good news.

it's in the same stadium (80.000)
but only one show for sale this time.

feel much better now.
12-18-02 03:18 PM
marcus aurelianus Egon , remember I told you I was reluctant when I knew they would perform in Marseille ... And you told me that all the kids in the South of France would turn up ....

The stadium can hold 40/50 000 people , though .
Wait and see ...
12-18-02 03:35 PM
egon yes it was you who said that (i said somewere else it was jacques)
is it really only 40? one of my (marseille) friends was talking about 80
12-18-02 03:57 PM
Monkey Woman The Stade V�lodrome in Marseille can hold 60,000 normally. Stade de France in Paris is 80,000. See:
http://www.iorr.org/tour03/index.htm

I think it's too early to be happy or disappointed yet. But the French market IS a difficult one, because it's not easy to predict. The French have been known to get crazy about the Stones but there are other high-profile shows for which tickets have gone onsale these days. For the most part, huge productions mixing music, dance and theater. And of course the unavoidable Johnny Halliday, the French rock singer who was born the same year as Mick...

So I'd say, grab your Marseille tickets and see!
12-19-02 01:12 AM
jumpinjackflash59 Don't worry about Marseille, i'm shure it will be sold out. And don't forget the poor sales in 98 where due to the football world cup.
12-19-02 08:14 AM
egon
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
And of course the unavoidable Johnny Halliday, the French rock singer

i love france, but never understood the johnny halliday thing.

why do the french like him so much?
12-19-02 04:20 PM
Monkey Woman Egon, I don't understand it myself. He's spent 40 years copying American and English acts, from Elvis to the Stones and a few others. Obviously, he's good at it (or he wouldn't have lasted that long). I think part of the attraction is that he's French
Not only in a chauvinist sense (but there's also some of it no doubt...) but because it makes him look "closer" to the french public, easier for kids to adopt as a role model, etc.

Personally, I don't like him. The only positive point IMO is his admiration for the Stones
12-19-02 04:23 PM
jb The french sales have been disappointing to date...
12-19-02 04:31 PM
F505 Johnny Halliday more popular than the Stones??? Such a thing is impossible in Holland. That would mean Lee Towers 2 times The Kuip, 2 times Arena and Ahoy and Vredenburg as well!
12-19-02 04:33 PM
jb Frankie loves Hollywood was also more popular than the Stones in 84..Relax, don't do it!!!!
12-19-02 04:36 PM
F505 That was afwul...
12-19-02 04:37 PM
jean-pierre M ..Egon...don't worry..the concert is seven months from now...
..and if the stadium is not full that's not a big problem...
12-19-02 04:39 PM
jb Worry Egon, worry...France has canceled many Stone concerts.
12-19-02 09:39 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
jb wrote:
Frankie loves Hollywood was also more popular than the Stones in 84..Relax, don't do it!!!!

It's Frankie Goes To Hollywood! LOL. Not Frankie loves hollywood.
12-20-02 04:47 AM
THIERRY If you go to Marseille, just visit "Massilia records" on cours lieautaud. It's a fabulous record shop, with the biggest number of stones boots you could find in france. There is also pictures and even a letter writeen by keith in 1970 for his maid in Nellcote�
12-20-02 09:31 AM
jb Thanks SoulSurvivor...I got mixed up...
12-20-02 09:56 AM
F505 yes but Frankie went to Hollywood because he loved it