ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor at Diss last Saturday and upcomg new album! Return to archive
12-16-02 05:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Forgotten man rocks the world
December 16, 2002 08:14

Mick Taylor on stage at Diss

He's the forgotten man of the greatest-ever rock group and has played some of the biggest venues in the world.

For his first live performance with the Rolling Stones in 1969, Mick Taylor faced screaming fans at Hyde Park.

But on Saturday night he was with old friends and musicians, playing before about 400 people at the considerably smaller venue of the Corn Hall, in Diss.

Also appearing was the gig's organiser Denny Newman, landlord of the Railway Tavern at Mellis, Zoot Money and Max Middleton.

The audience, who had each paid �12.50 for the Christmas Jam, had to wait two hours for Taylor's set, with the notoriously reclusive guitarist arriving just minutes before he was due to perform at 10pm.

But they had not forgotten him and thought it was well worth it as he played some of his blues numbers.

Speaking before he went on stage, Taylor, who lives about five miles from Diss, said music was for all generations, and said he thought there was room in the industry for the likes of Pop Idols Gareth Gates and Will Young.

"I think we all have our individual styles. It was a very good and interesting idea of Denny's to put this on," he said. "I think it could be repeated and other bands could come here."

Taylor replaced the Stones' lead guitarist Brian Jones in June 1969, when he was just 21, having already made his name with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Jones left to form his own band but was found dead in his swimming pool a few weeks later.

Taylor contributed to Stones classics including Angie, Brown Sugar and Can't You Hear Me Knocking, in what many regard as the group's golden era.

The 52-year-old is also credited on the band's latest album, Forty Licks, a 40-track compilation spanning their entire career. It says he brought "a new lyricism and grace" to what was already a great rock guitar group.

Taylor left the Stones in December 1974 to pursue his own musical projects, and has worked with artists including Bob Dylan, composed soundtracks for films and continues to make guest appearances and tour with his own band.

"The guys I was inspired by, a lot of them are dead, people like Muddy Waters, Aretha Franklin and Elvis Presley. They're all legendary artists," he said. "I'm still recording and making another CD soon. I don't know what it's going to be called yet, but it will be an album of some covers and originals."

Saturday's gig came about by chance after a meeting with Denny, who he had worked with eight years ago. Taylor heard he had bought a pub in the next village and stopped by for a drink, and after an informal jam session the idea of a gig was born.

"It's gone fantastically," said Denny, a guitarist with Manfred Man. "Mick is Mick and Zoot Money was incredible. The response from the audience has been great."

Another Jam has been provisionally booked for March 15 at the Corn Hall.
12-16-02 05:32 PM
sasca Good for him. (His face has lengthened, hasn't it? He looks like Oscar Wilde.)
12-16-02 05:32 PM
jb Mick taylor is great!!! Please let him play just one more time with the band!!!
12-16-02 08:53 PM
moy is that pic from last saturday? i think mick is using the same shirt and jacket since 1998
12-16-02 10:19 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
moy wrote:
is that pic from last saturday? i think mick is using the same shirt and jacket since 1998

I don't think he's taken 'em off since 1998!

Hmm... A new album?

That could be interesting.

If people who don't venerate the ground Taylor walks on give it a listen and a passing grade, I might pick it up.

That's almost no one on this board...

Damnit! Where dat Ronnie love at, yo?

Ahhhh... Live And Eclectic on now... thank you Bernard Fowler.

I'd be interested in hearing a Taylor solo album, mostly because I've never heard the man sing before. I guess he sings backup on a few Stones numbers, but all Stones backup vocals are eaten alive by Keith's voice. I had no idea what Ronnie sounded like before Live And Eclectic. It might be interesting to hear Taylor bring his killah guitar to a few covers. I won't hold my breath for the originals, but you never know. He did come up with quite a few mean leads and bass lines back in the day.

So I'll wait and see, check out some of the import magazines, see what they think, and maybe pick it up if some objective "No, Taylor did *not* hover six feet off the ground supported by floating seraphim live, nor did he write the whole of Exile On Main Street in one night after touching off the crossword puzzle" views give it a good enough rap. Definitely not on my "must buy" list. A curiosity, I guess.

-tSYX --- I'm flyyyyyying... across the ocean...
12-16-02 10:20 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick taylor is great!!! Please let him play just one more time with the band!!!

Not gonna happen.

They tried it in '81, didn't like it.

They won't try again.

*EDIT* Actually, those of you with Utrecht tickets... how far away is Utrecht from wherever it is Taylor lives now?

You might see him there - he might even open for them.

-tSYX --- Back home to the place I was born and prob'ly raised...
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
12-17-02 12:27 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Mick "The Quitter" Taylor said:

"The guys I was inspired by, a lot of them are dead, people like Muddy Waters, Aretha Franklin and Elvis Presley. They're all legendary artists," he said.

Aretha is gonna be pretty upset to find out she's dead.

It's obvious from the photo that Elvis was a BIG influence. I count one...two...three...is that..yes...FOUR CHINS!

YES!

Woody rocks AND has a 30 inch waist!
12-17-02 02:11 AM
Moonisup
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

*EDIT* Actually, those of you with Utrecht tickets... how far away is Utrecht from wherever it is Taylor lives now?

You might see him there - he might even open for them.

[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]

he lives 150 km above, somewhere in Groningen, Utrecht is the centre of holland, right in the middle

rik
12-17-02 04:12 AM
F505 Yes, let him come to Utrecht and let him play the solo on Can't You Here Me Knocking: the two versions I heard from Ronnie so far (Toronto and Boston) were not impressive...a bit thin
12-17-02 07:53 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
F505 wrote:
Yes, let him come to Utrecht and let him play the solo on Can't You Here Me Knocking: the two versions I heard from Ronnie so far (Toronto and Boston) were not impressive...a bit thin

Well, the soundboard in Toronto is screwy and the audience recordings are decent at best. Boston,I'll agree - it's thin, but it really kept the crowd on its feet. You could feel it in your feet.

Take a listen to some of the other bootlegs. There's a remastered version of the Ft. Lauderdale one online as well as a killer version from Atlanta. They're both knock-your-socks-off good. Roseland's is awesome too - he plays with the feedback a bit, gets that nasty 'false start/stop' thing going.

I still think while it's great that they're playing it, they need to speed up the first section a bit - and that's Keith's job. I hope he gets out there with some of that old energy back next leg.

My guess is if they bring him out for Utrecht they'll have him play on "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" or "Starfucker" or "Gimme Shelter" - a War Horse from the era he played with them. Alternatively they might bring him out for the blues cover a la Johnny Lang. Which would be pretty damn cool, seeing all three of the surviving Rolling Stones guitarists taking a solo in the same song...

-tSYX --- I wanna testify...
12-17-02 08:10 AM
F505 well tSYX I'll be there so let's hope for the best. But thinking about it: how would Ronnie react when Taylor steals the show?
12-17-02 08:40 AM
nankerphelge Taylor won't steal the show -- he might steal the KFC bucket and put it on his head tho...
12-17-02 10:00 AM
Factory Girl MT is AWESOME! I hope he does a US tour soon. New Album will be interesting.

On a personal front for MT-is he still dating the Dutch girl?
12-17-02 04:50 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
F505 wrote:
well tSYX I'll be there so let's hope for the best. But thinking about it: how would Ronnie react when Taylor steals the show?

He'll smile and wave and let Taylor get whatever applause he wants for his one song.

Because Taylor will have done one song.

Ronnie will have done a whole tour.

And Ronnie plays cigarrette, a difficult instrument to say the least. Taylor can't come close. Watch out! He's hot!

And Ronnie will remember that recently in many interviews/reviews and so forth(The BBC's is the best example, meeting them in New York) that he's regarded as a real treasure in the band.

Mick Taylor? Sure, he's a great player, and it'll be interesting to hear onna boot if he does do Utrecht.

But that's it. Interesting. Who cares? He ain't comin' back to the band. And Ronnie does just as well (and in some places... compare Some Girls to Goat's Head Soup or even It's Only Rock'n'Roll... better.)

-tSYX --- When she catches up to me won't be no time to explain...
12-17-02 09:21 PM
sammy davis jr. I'd like to hear Ronnie play a lead half as cool as the wah-tinged solo on 100 Years Ago....won't happen. Ronnie doesn't play that good.