ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bigger than the Stones, the Beatles, maybe even Jesus Return to archive
12-14-02 12:39 AM
Cant Catch Me The other day I pulled out an Elvis CD (the King, Elvis Presley, not that other one), and I was newly struck by his talent and versatility. I believe he must be the single most influential figure in the history of rock.

There are other giants, for certain, Chuck Berry comes to mind as another early figure with a huge influence, and countless other lesser known individuals and bands that had a profound influence on not just rock music, but the style, the business and the sheer mythology of rock. In that regard, the Stones are huge, as were the Beatles, especially in elevating the stature of rock stars into the stratosphere. But for whatever confluence of fate propelled him, Elvis Presley has to be the biggest.

The CD, by the way, is "Elvis Rhythm and Country, Essential Elvis Vol. 5," which I pulled out to hear his version of "Promised Land." It's all outtakes and alternates from his '73 sessions at the Stax studios in Memphis, and it's brilliant from beginning to end. Elvis's voice is astounding, and the song selection is surprisingly diverse, from country, rock and pop to gospel and so on. In addition to the house Stax band, he's accompanied by his session guitarist, James Burton, who's amazing.

So, any other nominations, either for group or individual contributions, to the culture of rock?
12-14-02 01:03 AM
KeepRigid Rhythm and Country is a great cd...I routinely partake of his first attempt at There's A Honky Tonk Angel ("Get mad at it!"). [I would suggest everyone here go out and buy 'Elvis Country' as well.]

I can't believe Elvis and Keith never destroyed anything together in the 70's. They certainly shared similar lifestyles.

If you really think about it:

Elvis was a millionaire...lived in his own mansion...deeply affected by the death of a parent...had his own stable of cars, motorcycles, and jets...had his own collection of costumes...wore a cape...was a black belt and skilled in martial arts...had his own firing range and arsenal of weapons...was known by and friendly with local, state and federal authorities...and also known to leave recording sessions on the spur of the moment, intent on dishing out vigilante justice to local Memphis drug dealers.

Elvis was Batman, for Christ's sake!
12-14-02 03:30 AM
gypsy There you go! Posts like that make me even more smitten with you than I already am, babe.
12-14-02 11:36 AM
Moonisup Elvis bigger then the stones?

Iran bigger as USA is the same comparrison

so it's crap
elvis is ok, nothing beats JJF not even heartbreak hotel
12-14-02 02:52 PM
Gazza >I believe he must be the single most influential figure in the history of rock.

of course he was..and still is

Keeprigid recommended "Elvis Country" - I'd improve on that excellent choice with "Elvis Is Back" (1960) and "From Elvis In memphis" (1969) out of the studio albums
12-14-02 05:14 PM
MidnightRambler Ohh, I'm liking this thread.

Elvis has been one of my favorites since I was 6 and I still love this guy. My favorite period of his was during the 70's...the live concerts were just electric. I'm not at all bashful about the last years of his life. People disregard the stereotypical "Fat-Elvis" cuz he's huge and doesn't move around anymore....who the fuck cares? Elvis has a voice, too, remember? The last 2 years of his life--his voice blossomed into something bigger than him! His range was almost as high as Roy Orbison and almost as low as Johnny Cash.

I recommend that everyone take a look at the official site for the "Follow That Dream" label which is practically an OFFICIAL bootleg label by RCA/BMG...here's they've released some pretty RARE, RARE recordings of Elvis that all us Elvis fans are LOVING...the CD's are imported from Denmark but are worth it. Lots of studio outtakes and live concerts on this label:

http://www.elvis.com/shopelvis/cat_list.asp?cat_id=9&cat_name=Music&subcat_id=32&subcat_name=Follow+That+Dream+Collector%27s+Label
(there are 2 pages of CDs)

or:

http://worldwideelvis.com/

and click on FTD CD's on the left menu
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
12-14-02 05:42 PM
*ginda A thread praising Elvis. Now we're talking. Stay close, for Elvis' birthday is January 8th, and we may need to join forces to fight back the detractors. In keeping with the season, may I suggest "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" from Elvis' Christmas album. The man could sing like no other.
12-14-02 06:40 PM
Stonesthrow Midnight Rambler said:

>>The last 2 years of his life--his voice blossomed into something bigger than him! His range was almost as high as Roy Orbison and almost as low as Johnny Cash.

I like Elvis as much as the next guy having followed him since 1956. However, to say he had the high vocal range of Roy Orbison is just wrong. Orbison was the best there ever was at that type of singing, and his octave range was considerably greater than that of Elvis. Tell me Elvis could sing Blue Angel, Only the Lonely, or Leah. Not a chance. I saw Orbison live about two months before his death in 1988, and his vocal range had hardly deteriorated from his peak over 25 years earlier. Remarkable. However, Elvis was a better entertainer.

12-14-02 07:46 PM
MidnightRambler Maybe the Orbison line was too much but I was just emphasizing that Elvis during the 70's shouldn't be disregarded.

His voice range has changed dramtically throughout his career:

in '69 when he returned to live performances and touring:
"Baby What You Want Me To Do"
http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/open69/11.ram

in '72 when he started to do more ballads and showstoppers which required a broader octave range:
"Bridge Over Troubled Water"
http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/carolina/14.ram
"American Trilogy"
http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/carolina/19.ram

in '76 finally when he started to do more eclectic songs and more love songs that put extra work on his vocals which made his vocal chords as sharp and powerful than anytime during his life. IMO, his voice was in PERFECTION at this point:
"Hurt"
http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/hotwinter/23.ram
"You Gave Me A Mountain"
http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/chic/6.ram

Check out this great site for more studio/live mp3s:
http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/implibindex.htm
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
12-14-02 07:57 PM
Honky Tonk Man Elvis had the most amazing voice. He could sing anything. Yesterday i received my next two instalments to my Elvis Brittania Muic Collection. "Blue Hawai" and "Pot Luck"

As Elvis once said

"I Don't Sing Like Nobody"

Alex
12-14-02 08:42 PM
Fiji Joe I know what you mean...I had my own Elvis re-discovery about a year ago...no one like him for sure...an immense talent...Funny, when I was younger and far more ignorant, I absolutely refused to listen to him...what a dumbass I was...Listen to some of his gospel work and you will be even more impressed...he make a the Fiji man cry...
12-14-02 08:45 PM
Fiji Joe and the Orbison comparisons...forget it...who cares what his range was...delivery man, delivery...this guy could deliver...
12-14-02 09:17 PM
100 Years Ago i grew up in a house where all my dad listened to was Elvis, hell I thought Hey Jude and Bridge Over Troubled Water were Elvis songs. Elvis was phenomenon no doubt about it, one question though, did he ever cover any Stones, I know that he did CCR songs,Beatles songs, Chuck songs and loved singing blues, but do any of these unreleased tracks include any Stones covers? Would be interesting to have heard him sing, "No Expectations", "Wild Horses" or even "JJF"

Of course a cape attired-Vegas era Elvis tackling Midnight Rambler would've been a sight to behold
12-14-02 09:49 PM
parmeda Midnight & Fiji..I can relate to what you both have said. As a teenager in the 70's I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to Elvis. I left that to my Mother and her generation. However, four months before his death I reluctantly went to see Elvis. One of my Mother's friends had to back out at the last minute and they were "stuck" with an extra ticket. From that day, right up to this very second...I am sooooo glad that I went with my mom and her friends. I've never been ashamed of the fact that I went. I will NEVER forget that concert, that performance, that man....

BTW...another performer I went to see under protest: 'Ole Blue Eyes, Mr. Frank Sinatra. That's another story for another time...the goosebumps are overwhelming me.
12-15-02 01:21 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>I believe he must be the single most influential figure in the history of rock.

of course he was..and still is

Keeprigid recommended "Elvis Country" - I'd improve on that excellent choice with "Elvis Is Back" (1960) and "From Elvis In memphis" (1969) out of the studio albums

Gazza I will hold you in my heart until I can hold you in my arms!

Some toothless asshole traded in that four cd boxset of unreleased Elvisania at the store today! I am in ELVIS HEAVEN!
12-15-02 04:29 PM
sasca Not sure if he�s the most influential but he�s one of the best. I�ve been listening to 'Marie�s the Name' a lot recently. Perfectly balanced.
12-15-02 04:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot You know, before parents were asked the question, "Would you let your daughter date a Rolling Stone?"...they were being told, "Hide your daughter, Elvis is coming to town!".

Elvis made some really remarkable recordings....with the help of a band that was hot as molten lava.

My fave song from Big E....."Little Sister".

And "Do The Clam".
12-15-02 04:55 PM
sasca Speaking of early r'n'r - I�m surprised Little Richard was never involved in a major scandal. It�s like people didn�t want to investigate for fear of what they might find.
12-15-02 06:46 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Elvis was the big and primary big fat backstreet boy. Lennon could have been infulenced by Robert Johnson instead.
12-15-02 06:47 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Elvis was the big and primary big fat backstreet boy. Lennon could have been infulenced by Robert Johnson instead.
12-15-02 07:07 PM
sirmoonie It didn't make any sense the second time either, T Central.
12-15-02 07:11 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer lENNON INFLUENCED BY jOHNSON INSTEAD OF-BY- eLVIS.

Big sense-influence-deal.
12-15-02 08:00 PM
Stonesthrow TCS-- Maybe I'm dense, but I don't see a Robert Johnson influence on Lennon. Where do you think it is?
12-16-02 04:45 PM
Gazza They both pissed someone off one time too many
12-16-02 04:47 PM
jb Good luck Gazza!!! Enjoy the Shows in Europe..You are #1 fan in N. Ireland!
12-17-02 10:35 AM
Street Fighting Man In 1977, I remember seeing a billboard for on of Elvis' concerts outside a stadium, while driving down South to Florida on family vacation. That same week both Elvis and Groucho Marx died. I always liked Elvis as a kid, particularly those "campy" movies!

But in all seriousness, comparisons to Jesus are inappropriate. Jesus came to pay the penalty for man's sin through his dealth on the cross, and offers the gift of eternal life for all those who will trust him as Lord & Savior. Jesus rose from the grave, ascended to heaven, and will one day return to earth in glory. This "Good News" is the story of Christmas.