ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: who is playing percussion on ycagwyw in 1972 nyc..? Return to archive
December 18th, 2005 12:57 PM
mac_daddy have refurbed an old vacuum record cleaner, and it is working splendidly. so i am cleaning all my boot vinyl. i am listening to "welcome to new york" and there is definitely someone on percussion. there is no sax on the track, is that bobby keys doing it..?

fwiw - nicky REALLY shines on this source - rarely is he as evident in the mix...

thanks, for any info and/or insight.
December 18th, 2005 04:26 PM
gimmekeef I believe they used Ollie Brown in 75 but dont think he was around in 72...
December 18th, 2005 06:54 PM
Nasty Habits Good question, mac - I have often wondered about this as well. Welcome to New York with the William Stout cover? That boot is sonically and visually great.

December 18th, 2005 07:14 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It was a member of Stevie Wonder's band
December 18th, 2005 11:13 PM
jb Doc Sverenson
December 19th, 2005 12:21 AM
jpenn11
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
It was a member of Stevie Wonder's band

I think there a tape of this show--not sure if it is on CD--in which Taylor's guitar, Hopkins' piano, and the bongo are very upfront--not Welcome to NY, they're actually upfront in the recording. It's quite clear that there is extra percussion.

Nico has no further identification of the percussionist.
December 19th, 2005 12:56 AM
JuanTCB Remember, Ollie Brown was the drummer in Stevie's band . . .

so it was probably Ollie Brown.
December 19th, 2005 05:39 AM
Mathijs It's not Ollie Brown, he was the drummer. They used the percussionist of Stevie's band. He also did percussion on YCAGWYW in Philly.

Mathijs
December 19th, 2005 09:08 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
It's not Ollie Brown, he was the drummer. They used the percussionist of Stevie's band. He also did percussion on YCAGWYW in Philly.

Mathijs

do we know his name...?

and while we are on the subject (kind of)... what was the name of stevie's horn player that had the affinity for snapping amyls..?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)