ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger, Big Banger (RS intw) Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 16th, 2005 07:45 AM
Monkey Woman Rolling Stone interviews a Rolling Stone, namely Mick Jagger!

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/8957216

MICK JAGGER

BIG BANGER

This year, the Rolling Stones crushed all doubt as to their might and will to rock with A Bigger Bang, their best studio album since 1981's Tattoo You, and the start of a world tour already set to break the Stones' own previous box-office records. Mick Jagger upped the ante with "Sweet Neo Con," his Bigger Bang indictment of right-wing hypocrisy, set to a "Miss You"-style strut and packed with unrestrained invective ("You call yourself a Christian/I think that you're a hypocrite/You say you are a patriot/I think that you're a crock of shit"). Jagger denied that "Sweet Neo Con" was specifically about President Bush, but the song was still a daring leap into politics for a songwriter whose last topical masterpiece, 1968's "Street Fighting Man," was actually explosive resignation ("What can a poor boy do/Except sing for a rock & roll band?"). "That is a completely different song for a different moment, another time," Jagger says of the earlier hit, during tour rehearsals in the summer. "But this is another time, with other fears, other forebodings and very justifiable worries." Speaking recently on a day off between shows, Jagger looked back at the commotion he and the Stones created with "Sweet Neo Con" and the mess of blues that still remains.

After the heat you took for "Sweet Neo Con," do you feel vindicated by President Bush's dive in the polls and the infighting among conservatives?

"Vindicated" is not the right word. When I started writing it, I felt things were going to turn. There was too much wrong thinking and bad execution. In the movie The Fog of War, Robert McNamara says, "You never know what's going to happen." You can go in with the best plan, the best troops, the best intentions, and it can all go wrong. If you don't have the best plan, you have more going against you.

Then you wonder, what would we have said if everyone in Iraq had covered the troops in flowers and the country had become this wonderful democracy? But it was always a chancy geopolitical adventure. Maybe in the long, long run, there will be benefits. There are always two sides to this. It's not going to be 100 percent bad. But you worry about the way it's going to end in the short term: in the next twelve months, two years.

Did you have security concerns because of the song? Two years ago, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder got death threats for wearing a Bush mask onstage.

There were a lot of people in our camp who were very nervous. They knew there would be a lot of criticism. But I kept saying, "This is a country that proclaims freedom of speech. You've got to be able to use that right. If you can't, what's it worth? Let's see what it's worth."

In the end, people were not that critical [of "Sweet Neo Con"]. A lot of press people who talked about it hadn't even heard it. We've come to another place, where Eddie Vedder and the Dixie Chicks got it worse. We've moved on.

The Stones made a million-dollar donation to the New Orleans relief effort after Hurricane Katrina. Were you shocked that this country, and its government, could let the city drown?

We would have stepped up anyway. Part of America and Western culture is that you don't expect the government to do everything. Private money is a large percentage of relief. You don't expect some hired hand to sort out all your problems. Obviously, you do expect the government to do certain things -- military muscle and such.

The connection between Iraq and Katrina came into focus for me while I was watching TV. There was this guy -- a regular guy with a small house, all destroyed -- and he said, "Our army is in Iraq, helping Iraqis, and they should be here." I thought, "Yes, there are only finite resources." Then I realized what he meant: the National Guard, which is a very local thing. They are your neighbors and relations. And if they hadn't been in Iraq, they could have come and pumped out his front room.

I think that has convinced a lot of America that questioning the war is not about patriotism; it's about resources. When you have a crisis in your home, it comes starkly into focus. And I'm sure that was a guy who voted for Bush.

Are you disappointed by the sales of A Bigger Bang? The whole business of selling albums seems to be an endangered activity.

I don't think it's as serious as that. Has the album sold as many copies as I would like? No. You always want it to sell more. The way of selling albums has to be approached differently now. You need a lot of imagination. You also need a lot of money. But there's no doubt that rock music has a much smaller share of the CD market -- and the download and ring-tone markets.

What music has turned you on this year?

There are a lot of new records that I've bought, like the White Stripes, the Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West. I always listen to rock bands that are coming up, like the Arctic Monkeys. And I listen to a lot of Caribbean music. The calypso from Trinidad is very funny and political. They are not afraid to say what they think.

What are your hopes for 2006?

That we can extricate ourselves from the war in Iraq with dignity and some hope for Iraq itself. I'm sure that's on many people's minds, including George Bush's. Personally, I'm going to be doing a lot of miles. We're going to Asia and South America, which is a lot of miles for a few shows [laughs].

The Stones are playing the Super Bowl halftime show. Is it weird that you're considered more family entertainment than Janet Jackson's breast?

Of course, after Janet, you can't do or say anything outre. But I don't think the show is family entertainment. At the Super Bowl parties I used to go to, when I was living in New York, it was a lot of blokes getting completely pissed [laughs]. It seems the women and children are there to open the packets of crisps.

DAVID FRICKE

Posted dec. 15, 2005 11:49 AM
December 16th, 2005 08:25 AM
lotsajizz thanks!
December 16th, 2005 01:29 PM
the good You know, I have made it a point not to post on political topics lately, but this is just all too easy. Its incredible. You can always count on some idiot "journalist" at Rolling Stone to get something 180 degrees backwards and still think they are correct. Bush is up in the polls and millions of people voted in Iraq yesterday because of his right wing "hypocrisy". Talk about hypocrisy. I thought liberals were the ones who were supposed to be advocates for human rights. These people live in La La land. And the government let New Orleans drown? Just what were they supposed to do? The levees broke. Amazing. Amazing, I say.
December 16th, 2005 01:33 PM
jb 390k sales in US to date...very embarrassing...
[Edited by jb]
December 16th, 2005 01:37 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
390k sales in US to date...very embarrassing...
[Edited by jb]

I actually believe ABB is better than TY, there is too much filler on Tattoo you for me.

this was a pretty decent interview, better than the normal ones with such tough questions as:

How do you perform at your age?
Do you like the new album?
How are you and Keith getting along?
etc

We may hit .5 Million sales by March...not good, but could have been worse (see Rarities/Live Licks)
December 16th, 2005 01:50 PM
jb The Vote in Iraq is great, but that's not why 2k plus soldiers got killed for..it was allegedly for WMD's..a lie of epic proportion that Clinton would have been impeached for. This is the most corrupt administration in US history and they have caused the death of thousands b/c of their lies...
December 16th, 2005 01:57 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
The Vote in Iraq is great, but that's not why 2k plus soldiers got killed for..it was allegedly for WMD's..a lie of epic proportion that Clinton would have been impeached for. This is the most corrupt administration in US history and they have caused the death of thousands b/c of their lies...

I have spoken to you privately on this matter several times and due to the fact that I have given Voodoo my word that I would not involve myself in political discussions, therefore, can you please speak for me in the matter, we are on the same page.
December 16th, 2005 03:13 PM
Jumping Jack WMDs were only 1 of 18 reasons for going to war.

Mick is interesting because he is so liberal on social issues and conservative on financial issues. When push comes to shove I don't see him spending his own cash to solve social problems so who is the real hypocrite and full of shit?

I wonder what Mick thinks of the Iranians wanting nuke Isreal out of existence? Jews are good enough to manage his money but worth protecting?

I wonder if Mick agrees with the Iranian position that Europeans owe Isreal big time for the holocaust even though they say it never happened?

I wonder what Mick thinks of starving poor people at the expense of greedy politicians (food for oil).

I wonder what flavor Kool Aid Mick prefers?
December 16th, 2005 03:13 PM
the good
quote:
jb wrote:
The Vote in Iraq is great, but that's not why 2k plus soldiers got killed for..it was allegedly for WMD's..a lie of epic proportion that Clinton would have been impeached for. This is the most corrupt administration in US history and they have caused the death of thousands b/c of their lies...

Where was the lie jb? The intell was wrong. There was not a lie. And speaking of Clinton, he made the same claims about Iraq and WMD's. Was he lying too? Was the UN? It doesn't add up. If I really thought the president lied about WMD's, I would be the first one to call for his impeachment.

You know, I'm really tired of arguing about Iraq. I'm tired of politics period. I shouldn't have responded to the post, and I'm not going to post on political threads anymore. This is a message board dedicated to my favorite band, The Rolling Stones.
December 16th, 2005 03:22 PM
jb If not a lie, a colossal mistake....and we pay for it everyday. We got rid of Saddam, and now it's time to get out of Iraq. The real enemies are Iran, N. Korea, China, Syria, and Indonesia. Lets get the ones who actually have and will use the nukes like Iran!!!

Cohl's are saavy Canadian Jews who have made a billion plus dollars for the entity known as the Rolling Stones". We as Jews have handled the financial affairs of the Stones for many a long long year........
December 16th, 2005 03:31 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
If not a lie, a colossal mistake....and we pay for it everyday. We got rid of Saddam, and now it's time to get out of Iraq. The real enemies are Iran, N. Korea, China, Syria, and Indonesia. Lets get the ones who actually have and will use the nukes like Iran!!!

Cohl's are saavy Canadian Jews who have made a billion plus dollars for the entity known as the Rolling Stones". We as Jews have handled the financial affairs of the Stones for many a long long year........

[Edited by voodoopug]
December 16th, 2005 03:39 PM
jb Very offensive...................
December 16th, 2005 03:49 PM
justforyou There are no real enemies, only fear and grudges coming from the past.

Why are people pissing in their pants at Iran, when a country like Pakistan, with nukes and a dictator who took power by force is seen as an ally ? (Even though Musharaf seems very reasonable at the moment - who is to say he won't get toppled by some fundamentalist groups)
December 16th, 2005 03:52 PM
Jumping Jack Perhaps because he isn't threatening Armagedeon? Just a guess.
December 16th, 2005 03:55 PM
jb
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Perhaps because he isn't threatening Armagedeon? Just a guess.

You shall be greeted!!!! ANy friend of the Blue, is a friend of mine!!!
December 16th, 2005 03:56 PM
justforyou Nobody is threatening with that, although we all fear it...
December 16th, 2005 03:57 PM
justforyou
quote:
jb wrote:

You shall be greeted!!!! ANy friend of the Blue, is a friend of mine!!!

Don't be such an easy lay!!
December 16th, 2005 03:59 PM
justforyou Only the terrorists would use nukes first, so let's step a bit carefuly, no ?
December 16th, 2005 04:14 PM
keefjunkie Mick rockin out to Kanye hahaha nice visual
December 16th, 2005 05:51 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
I actually believe ABB is better than TY, there is too much filler on Tattoo you for me.

One of the dumbest things I've read in a while.
December 16th, 2005 06:13 PM
Jumping Jack I agree it is better than the over-rated TY and the equal of SG
December 16th, 2005 06:17 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I wonder what Mick thinks of the Iranians wanting nuke Isreal out of existence? Jews are good enough to manage his money but worth protecting?

I wonder if Mick agrees with the Iranian position that Europeans owe Isreal big time for the holocaust even though they say it never happened?

I wonder what Mick thinks of starving poor people at the expense of greedy politicians (food for oil).

I wonder what flavor Kool Aid Mick prefers?

The continued equation of being against the politics of the ruling party of Israel with anti-semitism is one reason why the latter is wide(r)-spread(ing). Keep it up.....
December 16th, 2005 06:18 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
the good wrote:

You know, I'm really tired of arguing about Iraq.

You should be. It shows the failure of your position.

December 16th, 2005 06:57 PM
texile
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

true.
i love how some of you guys get frustrated when jagger exhibits "liberal" tendencies.
my conservative stones friend remains in denial...
December 16th, 2005 09:42 PM
the good
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

No. It simply shows that I am tired of arguing with thickheaded libs. Now THAT really is my last political post. Later on chump
December 17th, 2005 01:15 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I agree it is better than the over-rated TY and the equal of SG

**************BLANK FRIGGIN STARE****************
December 17th, 2005 01:21 PM
Jumping Jack This will also give you a blank friggin stare ...

I like Voodoo Lounge better than Tattoo You as well. Other than SMU and T&A, TY is pretty average. There are at least 5 songs on ABB I'd rather hear than SMU.

Sorry my friend, but that's how I see it. :-)
December 17th, 2005 01:27 PM
glencar The Stones made a million-dollar donation to the New Orleans relief effort after Hurricane Katrina. Were you shocked that this country, and its government, could let the city drown?

We would have stepped up anyway. Part of America and Western culture is that you don't expect the government to do everything. Private money is a large percentage of relief. You don't expect some hired hand to sort out all your problems. Obviously, you do expect the government to do certain things -- military muscle and such.

The connection between Iraq and Katrina came into focus for me while I was watching TV. There was this guy -- a regular guy with a small house, all destroyed -- and he said, "Our army is in Iraq, helping Iraqis, and they should be here." I thought, "Yes, there are only finite resources." Then I realized what he meant: the National Guard, which is a very local thing. They are your neighbors and relations. And if they hadn't been in Iraq, they could have come and pumped out his front room.

I think that has convinced a lot of America that questioning the war is not about patriotism; it's about resources. When you have a crisis in your home, it comes starkly into focus. And I'm sure that was a guy who voted for Bush.

Mick starts off sounding like a Republican & then finishes up sounding like Cindy Sheehan's older brother. Howe does he know who voted for who?
December 17th, 2005 01:35 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
This will also give you a blank friggin stare ...

I like Voodoo Lounge better than Tattoo You as well. Other than SMU and T&A, TY is pretty average. There are at least 5 songs on ABB I'd rather hear than SMU.

Sorry my friend, but that's how I see it. :-)

Please consider first I pay many respect to every $tone$ fan.
Then my fav $tone$ era is 1977/1983, which can also be discuted during hours and hours.
But you re right all those records got great tunes among those you mentionned.
I sincerely hope, one day, we will have a Blank Friggin Stare to share
cheer$
Ju
December 17th, 2005 03:00 PM
Jumping Jack Amen to that! I would love to buy you several shots of Jumping Jack Daniels to help create that blank f'n look (see JB Atlanta).
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)