ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New York Dolls head into studio(NSC) Return to archive
December 15th, 2005 08:53 AM
justinkurian From NME.com

New York Dolls head into studio

The band will record in January

New York Dolls are to head back into the studio to record their first album of new material in over 30 years.

On January 15, the band will enter a hometown recording facility with Jack Douglas - producer of albums by Aerosmith, John Lennon, Cheap Trick and New York Dolls themselves.

The album will feature their first entirely new output since 1974's 'Too Much Too Soon'.

Singer David Johansen said: "Everything feels right. We're excited to get back into the studio to record what we feel are the strongest tracks of our careers."

According to the band's label, Roadrunner Records, tracks expected to feature on the LP include 'Punishing World', 'Plenty Of Music' and 'Rainbow Store'.

Following their reformation last year at the insistence of Morrissey, the New York Dolls line-up now features original members Johansen and guitarist Syl Sylvain with Steve Conte (guitar), Sami Yaffa (bass), Brian Delaney (drums) and Brian Koonin (keyboards).

Former bass player Arthur 'Killer' Kane passed away in 2004.

The new album from New York Dolls is scheduled for a summer release next year.

December 15th, 2005 09:30 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Great news. Saw a faction of the dolls at reaing a few years back and they rocked
December 15th, 2005 10:02 AM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck This is so silly, its about as much "The Dolls''as was Johansens solo stuff .Its practically a tribute band
albeit with two original members.The time for a re-union was when Thunders and Nolan were alive but no one wanted anything to do with one another. I have avoided all these recent shows for the same reason.
You can alternate Darrin Stevens and Becky Connor but not Dolls!
December 15th, 2005 10:07 AM
glencar Post of the Week!
December 15th, 2005 02:17 PM
Dan
quote:
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck wrote:
This is so silly, its about as much "The Dolls''as was Johansens solo stuff .Its practically a tribute band
albeit with two original members.The time for a re-union was when Thunders and Nolan were alive but no one wanted anything to do with one another. I have avoided all these recent shows for the same reason.
You can alternate Darrin Stevens and Becky Connor but not Dolls!

But its still a good band. Sammi Yaffa is a great musician and songwriter in his right (though not sure what his contribution will be to the new material).

Here is a new song as performed live at the Sunset Junction Street Fair. Its just okay. Still very curious what the rest will sound like.

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Q15E1B93BGAC35ZFW249HLTZT

and "Piece Of My Heart" - sounds like a stadium crowd

http://s60.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0IH8Q4ID94WX32YDLBB6677G6X

December 15th, 2005 02:42 PM
Egbert No JT = no Dolls
December 15th, 2005 02:44 PM
BILL PERKS I CANT HARDLY WAIT

WHEN THEY ARE DONE ,MAYBE ASIA WILL REFORM
December 15th, 2005 02:44 PM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck ~Dan~ Thanx for the linx
They sound O.K. BUT ITS NOT THE NY DOLLS and I want no part of it. Just leave me out the equation!
Indeed,Yaffa is good but in this scenario who cares?This is all that fellow Morrisseys fault.
December 15th, 2005 03:26 PM
Voodoo Scrounge I saw them a couple of years back like I said in a previous post. But I didnt really know who they were then. So it didnt make much difference to me.

I had the same feeling when I went to see guns n roses about three years back. I looked up during the sweet child solo andnot seeing slash their ruined my night.
December 15th, 2005 03:55 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck wrote:
Just leave me out the equation!

Duly noted. Will do.

We've had this discussion before. The Dolls rock and I'm psyched to hear a new album. That's just me, though.
December 15th, 2005 04:48 PM
crb69 My buddy brought me to a show a few months back and we had a ball. The new guitarist is KILLER (Steve Conte) and the boys sounded GREAT! They sounded fresh & LOUD and not sloppy as hell like they did years ago. The music was still very much PUNK but had a fresh polished sound to it...like I hoped they would. If ya get the chance to go see 'em ENJOY the night out!
December 15th, 2005 05:28 PM
keefjunkie its not the dolls without johnny thunders
December 15th, 2005 06:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, in point of fact, if David Jo and Syl say it's the NY Dolls...then it IS the NY Dolls. Since they are the only surviving original members they get the say so, not you, me, or anyone else.

I've seen the "Dolls" twice since they got it back together. It's a good band, and a real fun time. If ya'll wanna boycott 'em because Thunders went to the great shooting gallery in the sky...then you are only depriving yourself of a great night out.

More tickets and elbow room for me.
December 16th, 2005 01:34 AM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck Ack! it doesn't matter a hoot what Johansen or Syl say..... I'll decide what is and isn't The Dolls as it is solely my discretion and my call!

Actually, I respect Sirs~ opines and taste in such things so I might give'em the ole' open mind and ears and not deprive myself of a fun night out BUT THERE BETTER BE NO FUNKY BUT CHIC!!!
December 16th, 2005 09:12 AM
FPM C10 The night SS, Miss Youngblood and I saw them at the Troc, they didn't do any Johansen solo material, nor would I ever expect them to. The two songs that departed from the Dolls' ouevre (that there's Franch fer ovaries, I think) were "Out in The Street" and "Piece of My Heart", both of which were showstoppers. And they did one new song that everybody seemed to like a lot.

December 16th, 2005 09:36 AM
lotsajizz no Thunders=no Dolls
December 16th, 2005 03:31 PM
FPM C10 NUH UH!
December 17th, 2005 08:17 AM
crb69 If ya don't like the band they put together then don't go...however I must say ignorance is bliss for some and blindness for many! I actually never really cared for 98% of the NY Dolls material. I think it was sloppy and amature punk. Thunders never impressed me. He always sounded too wasted to play. Maybe he had a few good nights when he was in his Prime? I was into KISS back in the seventies because I was a young kid then. I just recently got into the Dolls and I always liked Jo Hansen's persona on TV. My buddy, who is a Giant STONES fan, turned me onto Jo Hansen & the Dolls & I was truely impressed by the new Dolls both as a musician and a fan when we saw them ROCK this past summer for $20 a ticket! Not $500 a ticket to see the Band fuck up on a 50 foot screen. They are trying to revive the punk scene people! Wake the fuck up and smell the java. It would be something if Thunders was around and they didn't want to play with him (like the Gilmour/Waters Pink Floyd thing) but Johnny T. is dead and they are reviving their music. I highly respect that!
December 17th, 2005 10:05 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
The night SS, Miss Youngblood and I saw them at the Troc, they didn't do any Johansen solo material, nor would I ever expect them to. The two songs that departed from the Dolls' ouevre (that there's Franch fer ovaries, I think) were "Out in The Street" and "Piece of My Heart", both of which were showstoppers. And they did one new song that everybody seemed to like a lot.

they also played amemphis minnie tune ("in my girlish days") that might have been the best tune of the night @ sunset jct.

the only tune i wasnt nuts about was "we're all in love" and that is apparently a new one, too...

i would go see the dolls again in a ny minute.
December 17th, 2005 11:21 AM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

they also played a memphis minnie tune ("in my girlish days") that might have been the best tune of the night @ sunset jct.

Is that a Memphis Minnie song? It's on the bonus material of the London reunion DVD, and I THOUGHT it sounded like it could be, but I don't have her recording of it. I figured it was left over from Johansen's Harry Smiths project, which I'm deeply sorry I never got to see. Their two albums are brilliant.

I LOVE Memphis Minnie.
December 17th, 2005 11:57 AM
Nasty Habits I wouldn't mind them doing material from the first David Jo album considering some of those songs were played by the NY Dolls towards the end of their career and he and Sylvain collaborated on most all of them.

That David Johansen live album from Max's '78 is great, and although his first solo album lacks the Dolls' sense of anarchy the tunes are amazing. Donna and Frenchette are absolute great songs, and considering Donna is about lost Dolls I think it would be entirely appropriate.

I figure as long as it makes David Johansen, one of the best rock and roll singers America has produced, sing rock and roll and not cabaret music cheesed up by modern production, then the "New York Dolls" can exist, although I hope the new album doesn't suck as wholeheartedly as that wretched wretched new Big Star album.

Stones fans worrying about bands pissing on their legacy live in a cellophane house.

December 17th, 2005 02:26 PM
mac_daddy fpm - you never listened to the disc i sent you..? david announces it as a memphis minnie tune...

December 18th, 2005 12:32 AM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
fpm - you never listened to the disc i sent you..? david announces it as a memphis minnie tune...

Come to think of it, I (evidently) never listened to all of it...digging it out as I speak...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)