ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Christmas Greetings from Kaliningrad, Russia!
© Irina
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: She Saw Me Coming Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
December 15th, 2005 04:35 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Bomb!

The Passion of the Joey !!!!

December 15th, 2005 04:36 PM
glencar King Kong?
December 15th, 2005 04:39 PM
speedfreakjive Going back to this threads original topic (finally)
How can u argue with a line like this from SSMC;
"She busted in and she burglerized my soul
But now the bad news: she's out on parole "
December 15th, 2005 04:40 PM
glencar Yuck.
December 15th, 2005 04:47 PM
speedfreakjive Actually, the title of the song is more of a "yuck" inducing thing
December 15th, 2005 05:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot >"She busted in and she burglerized my soul
But now the bad news: she's out on parole "<

Sounds like something Eminem would say....

So you really think those are good lyrics?

OK then. That tells me all I need to know. No need to further discuss this. You won't get it.
December 15th, 2005 06:03 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>"She busted in and she burglerized my soul
But now the bad news: she's out on parole "<

Sounds like something Eminem would say....

So you really think those are good lyrics?

OK then. That tells me all I need to know. No need to further discuss this. You won't get it.

Ok, I was just trying to be positive, maybe they're crap.
December 15th, 2005 06:32 PM
Soldatti In few years, B2B will be remembered as the last spark of the Stones magic and inventive power.
December 15th, 2005 07:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot I think it's great that you want to be positive. You get an A for effort.

But why should you have to force it? If this stuff really was "great", or even just "good", you wouldn't need to force anything. It wouldn't even need defending in the first place if it was indeed a "great" or "good" song.

A "great" song is readily apparent to anyone who hears it. There are very very few really "great" songs or albums put out each year. There are no "great" songs on ABB. Period. None. If there were "great" songs on the album, we wouldn't be having this discussion. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if the songs were just merely "good".

A "great" album does not have songs that make you reach for the skip button. If ABB is so fucking "great", why is everyone picking songs to DROP off the thing? A "great" album does not have any songs on it that would need DROPPED. Even for ABB to be considered "good", you wouldn't want to DROP songs from it. You might have 1 or 2 songs that you don't care for all that much...you might even reach for the skip button...but you wouldn't be DROPPING songs from it. So ABB can't be "great" or even just "good".

However, it is entirely appropriate to DROP or change songs on a mediocre or bad album.

If you all want to live in some fantasy world where ABB is a GREAT album full of GREAT songs, then hey, be my guest. Have fun. I prefer reality thanks.
December 15th, 2005 07:14 PM
speedfreakjive I can't argue.
END OF THREAD
December 15th, 2005 07:28 PM
glencar Wha? A great album can't have songs you'd drop off? Is that in some rule book somewhere? I'd drop Sweet Black Angel off Exile in a heartbeat. I'd drop Dear Doctor off Beggars. In a heartbeat.
December 15th, 2005 07:35 PM
speedfreakjive Ah..... but Beggars Banquet isn't a great album IMO
December 15th, 2005 07:49 PM
Ronnie Richards Beggars Banquet is not a great album... but ABB is!?

Yeah, and She Saw Me Coming is better than Sympathy for the Devil..
December 15th, 2005 08:41 PM
Egbert (Dangerous) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
[Edited by Egbert]
December 15th, 2005 09:33 PM
time is on my side I wasn't going to respond. I tried holding back but, what the hell, I've decided to take the plunge anyway.

The self described gods of musical taste are at it again. Try arguing??? What's really the point??? They'll just keep on posting and then when you don't respond, they'll declare themselves the winner. You see they're A posters, Who can contend with that??? They're always right and you're always wrong. Get it???

If you don't agree with them, then you're either stupid, have absolutely no taste in music, or you simply don't get it. With those kind of rules, they're undefeated; they're unchallenged; they're the kings of musical taste & you're a peasant.

So how many TIMES have we all heard the same arguments??? Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows. Even though it's clear the gods of musical taste don't like ABB, they can not rest until all are convinced. Until all the post end finally with affirmation that ABB sucks. Anything less will not do. You see the gods of musical taste have spoken and must be obeyed; otherwise you open yourself up to ridicule.

Me, well I've always liked thinking for myself. Always have. Really never had any need for someone to think for me. ABB??? A surprisingly strong album imo. The reasons??? I've already given them in a number of post already but why dig them up out of the archives???? Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows.

You see I know what I like when I hear it and I know what I don't like. Didn't someone already say something similiar to that???? ABB, I LIKE IT.

[Edited by time is on my side]
December 15th, 2005 10:12 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Beggars Banquet is not a great album... but ABB is!?

you forgot to mention how This Place Is Empty is far superior to Jumpin Jack Flash
December 16th, 2005 12:02 AM
T&A SSA:

you pompous bastard - there is but one GREAT SONG on ABB and it's called She Saw Me Coming.

now it's the end of the discussion....
December 16th, 2005 12:51 AM
glencar That was the beginning of the discussion, actually. SSMC actually is one of the lesser songs on ABB but overall ABB is a great album. Their best since Some Girls, probably.
December 16th, 2005 03:22 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
I wasn't going to respond. I tried holding back but, what the hell, I've decided to take the plunge anyway.

The self described gods of musical taste are at it again. Try arguing??? What's really the point??? They'll just keep on posting and then when you don't respond, they'll declare themselves the winner. You see they're A posters, Who can contend with that??? They're always right and you're always wrong. Get it???

If you don't agree with them, then you're either stupid, have absolutely no taste in music, or you simply don't get it. With those kind of rules, they're undefeated; they're unchallenged; they're the kings of musical taste & you're a peasant.

So how many TIMES have we all heard the same arguments??? Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows. Even though it's clear the gods of musical taste don't like ABB, they can not rest until all are convinced. Until all the post end finally with affirmation that ABB sucks. Anything less will not do. You see the gods of musical taste have spoken and must be obeyed; otherwise you open yourself up to ridicule.

Me, well I've always liked thinking for myself. Always have. Really never had any need for someone to think for me. ABB??? A surprisingly strong album imo. The reasons??? I've already given them in a number of post already but why dig them up out of the archives???? Round and round we go where we stop nobody knows.

You see I know what I like when I hear it and I know what I don't like. Didn't someone already say something similiar to that???? ABB, I LIKE IT.

[Edited by time is on my side]

Good work

Very well said

December 16th, 2005 03:27 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Beggars Banquet is not a great album... but ABB is!?

Thats not what I was saying, I was saying ABB isn't a great album, its good... ish
December 16th, 2005 03:30 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

you forgot to mention how This Place Is Empty is far superior to Jumpin Jack Flash

JJ Flash isn't on Beggars Banquet.
December 16th, 2005 03:41 AM
Jumacfly Even "Don t call me up" is far better than streets of love.
December 16th, 2005 10:13 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Even "Don t call me up" is far better than streets of love.

now that i agree with
December 16th, 2005 10:44 AM
Nasty Habits I have stayed out of Bigger Bang discussions because I've been busy and I haven't really seen the point in getting involved, but I figure I might as well come down on the side of thems that say there is a lot of quality material on this record. Because there is.

About 50% of the album is really good. A perfectly logical step in the development of the band from Steel Wheels forward. I've been editing the Stones' albums for stinkers since Voodoo Lounge, so I have no problem editing this one. I prefer its good eight to Voodoo Lounge's good eight (are there eight? I'll have to check.) About 50% is really not-so-good and a perfectly logical step in develoment from Steel Wheels forward.

Rough Justice, Oh No, and Rain Fell Down were all smart bits of single releasage even if they didn't work, and I have been consistently impressed with live takes of Rain that I have heard, AMA obviously withstanding. I can see why they played it on the show and I'm not surprised they tanked it, but baby, that is rock and roll.

She Saw Me Coming is great. Sounds like a band having fun and doing a great goof. I love to hear it, esp. when they go into the middle eight like they just thought of it. The fact that the sound is kind of tweaked makes is sound like a bootleg tune from '78. Esp. like the little fills.

Dangerous Beauty is pretty fucked up, content-wise and I like the solo and one chord end-playing a lot. I buy Laugh - it seems like it's all about pride and ego to the Jag, and this song really lays that on the line - he can't like the increasing number of disses he's gotten over the last ten years, which is what this song seems to be about. And Back of My Hand has accrued authority on repeated listens and although it doesn't beat the Storm for me quite yet it's close. And Infamy is a motherfucking groove.

Let Me Down Slow is great musically although the lyrics are awful, and although I do hear the Dire Straits in IWTL, I don't hear it in the random weirdness of the guitar parts that save that song.

The rest is utterly dispensable, and sometimes bad. Although DTF could have been good if the riff was played tougher and there was a hot doubletime solo in the middle of it.

What's wrong with Bigger Bang is that it's so scattershot - it moves one direction and then another with no real sense of purpose or coherence. This is not diverse, this is unfocused. That and it's not ten songs. Like a Stones album should be. Those up there are my 10 and it's what I listen to on my post-purchase burn. Makes for a fine 45 minutes of music.

Marc, what I want to know is: why would anyone would spill so much invective over a record they haven't listened to in, what is it now, four months?

"You shouldn't take it so personal." Bob Dylan

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
December 16th, 2005 03:06 PM
Neocon I like "She Saw Me Coming" it does sound like the band goofing around having fun and all. Maybe a bit of an Island flavor to it.

The only song I think really sucks is "Streets of Love." Some are a bit dull like BM, DTF, BOMH and RFD. I think it's a good album though better than b2b, SW, and ER for sure.

I think there is a decent studio vibe of songs like RJ, IWTL and DB. Yea, some of it is adult contemporary, but these guys are really old.

To me the bad songs on this album would stand out on other albums, the exception is SOL which just sucks sooooo bad.

December 16th, 2005 09:35 PM
glencar Interesting post, Nasty. Ironically I agree with the general thrust of your post but I disagree on some of the specific songs that you like/don't like. And no, there aren't 8 good songs on VL. Maybe 4. Maybe.
December 17th, 2005 12:25 AM
Egbert
quote:
glencar wrote:
Interesting post, Nasty. Ironically I agree with the general thrust of your post but I disagree on some of the specific songs that you like/don't like. And no, there aren't 8 good songs on VL. Maybe 4. Maybe.

4's stretching it.
December 17th, 2005 11:04 AM
IanBillen
It's a good tune. The sucker is right out of Some Girls. Everything about it says it is totally Some Girls. Worth leaving on the album but it does not cut it as a single. It is a little too repetative, even for today's standards. Also it isn't as catchy as Rain Fell Down, SOL, or some others.

Don't get me wrong it is a good track but it does not have the magnitude or completed formula for a single. At least not to showcase an album.

Ian
December 19th, 2005 05:30 AM
Navin Glencar:

What is it about 'Voodoo Lounge' that you dislike so much about...you seem to take every opportunity to express this - the album in general - and in particular gems like "Sparks will Fly"

The rest of us, myself included, like it very much.

December 19th, 2005 08:51 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Navin wrote:
Glencar:

What is it about 'Voodoo Lounge' that you dislike so much about...you seem to take every opportunity to express this - the album in general - and in particular gems like "Sparks will Fly"

The rest of us, myself included, like it very much.

Not so - I count three people on this page alone who can't really stand it. I definitely prefer Bigger Bang and Bridges.

By my count the actual album yields Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rockin' (debatable), The Worst, Out of Tears (debatable), I Go Wild (highly debatable) and Thru & Thru (indispensable).

The sessions themselves may have been creative but the album is unbelievably fucked in post-production. I'll take not only Bigger's fake in-your-face but Bridges cold clinicisty over Voodoo Lounge's MaximumWas™ sound. Stonesalot's charges that Bigger Bang is an adult contemporary record are much more fittingly levelled at Voodoo Lounge to me.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)