ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thanks Irina!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: About Crazy Mama Return to archive
December 15th, 2004 07:28 AM
Bruno Stone How can de Crazy Mama such a fucking rock? It's very strong, hard, rough, everything... Keith and Charlie keeping that strong beat are fantastic, and Mick's singing is fucking great. His voice is sooo killer in this song, specially when he goes " ahhhhhh don't think i ain't thought about it, it sure make my shackles rise! ''.

Is there any bootleg with it? They played it in the 76 tour?
They played it in any show ever?

Who play that killer slide? Was Ronnie?

And that amazing piano? Preston?
December 15th, 2004 07:58 AM
gustavobala i believe this music is strong because the richards's riff on guitar....

from the site: www.timeisonourside.com

only richards on guitars...
piano: Richards/Preston/RONNIE WOOD!!!!!?????

Performed onstage:1977, 1997-98

Crazy Mama
Composers:Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: March, October & December 1975
Recording locations: Musicland Studios, Munich, West Germany
& Mountain Recording Studios, Montreux, Switzerland
Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineer: Keith Harwood

Line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Keith Richards
Rhythm electric guitars: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Lead electric guitars: Keith Richards
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Background vocals: Keith Richards, Ron Wood & Billy Preston
Pianos: Keith Richards, Ron Wood & Billy Preston
Percussion (incl. cowbell): Ollie Brown

December 15th, 2004 08:04 AM
Jair The bass is fantastic, specially almost in the end, it sounds like a solo bass, if I can say that.
Imo, anyway, the best Keith bass performance.
Fucking great song, Mick yowling all the time makes my dick hard!!!
December 15th, 2004 08:37 AM
J.J.Flash Great rocker brazilian rock'n'rollers......
December 15th, 2004 10:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:

First played at the El Mocambo in Toronto in March 1977 (theres a version of it on the incomplete circulating recording of one of the shows)

Not played again until 1997 - played mostly as a B-stage song during the BTB tour. Last played Amsterdam 6th July 1998. They played it very well on that tour, too.

theres a great version of it from Edmonton '97 on the "Sex for Xmas" tree we're distributing.
December 15th, 2004 10:49 AM
Saint Sway Stones need to dust this one off and slip it into rotation in '05!

The Black Crowes do a great version of "Crazy Mama" - except they call it "By Your Side"

(and by 'do a great versioin', I mean, they ripped it off pretty nice)
December 15th, 2004 11:02 AM
Gazza SS - as you're a big Black Crowes fan, would you agree with me that the chorus of their song "Rocks" steals the hook from the Stones' GHS outtake "Criss Cross Mind" (much more so than it borrows from 'Rocks Off')?
December 15th, 2004 12:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:
SS - as you're a big Black Crowes fan, would you agree with me that the chorus of their song "Rocks" steals the hook from the Stones' GHS outtake "Criss Cross Mind" (much more so than it borrows from 'Rocks Off')?

Gazza,
"Rocks" is by Primal Scream. I understand your confusion. They made a record called "Give Out But Dont GIve Up" that was attempted to be a Crowes rip off. And since the Crowes are a bit of a Stones rip off, I guess that makes the record a 3rd generation rip off.

anyway, to answer you Q, there is some of "Criss Cross Mind" in the chorus. As well as the obvious "Rocks Off" tag. The lyrics also borrow from "Little T&A" (whores keep a whorin, theives keep a thievin) & "Bitch". The song is a hodge podge of Stones lyrics.

its a good record. But I never liked anything else by Primal Scream. Black Crowes are the real deal though. Much more rootsy and authentic sounding. And damn fucking talented too.
December 15th, 2004 09:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
Pianos: Keith Richards, Ron Wood & Billy Preston

I can't hear 3 pianos...
December 15th, 2004 09:52 PM
corgi37 What the fuck was Bill doing during the Crazy Mama sessions? I hate it when he gets left off. Like the song though. And, to me, thats the trouble with b&b. Not enough songs like that.

Traditional "Stones" songs, if you like.
December 15th, 2004 09:58 PM
souldoggie The main guitar riff on this just has to be in Open G. I love that tuning anyway, but on this song you can really get the guitar to ring like a bell.

And I may be wrong, but since the piano is credited to no one on the inner sleeve, I always picture it being Stu bangng away on this.
December 16th, 2004 04:53 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Gazza,
"Rocks" is by Primal Scream. I understand your confusion. They made a record called "Give Out But Dont GIve Up" that was attempted to be a Crowes rip off. And since the Crowes are a bit of a Stones rip off, I guess that makes the record a 3rd generation rip off.

anyway, to answer you Q, there is some of "Criss Cross Mind" in the chorus. As well as the obvious "Rocks Off" tag. The lyrics also borrow from "Little T&A" (whores keep a whorin, theives keep a thievin) & "Bitch". The song is a hodge podge of Stones lyrics.

its a good record. But I never liked anything else by Primal Scream. Black Crowes are the real deal though. Much more rootsy and authentic sounding. And damn fucking talented too.

Shit. You're right. I must have been on something or still half asleep yesterday when I typed that. I'm fully aware it was Primal Scream - got them both mixed up. Silly me. But at least you still saw the similarity with Criss Cross Mind!
December 16th, 2004 04:54 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I can't hear 3 pianos...

Much different to these days when you have two guitars and only ONE piano - and Chuck STILL manages to be louder...
December 16th, 2004 11:20 AM
Bloozehound this thread inspired me to give B&B a spin, love the Crazy Mama

haven't heard this album in a while, sounds great, some of these tracks are timeless: hs,hof,mm,melody,cm

well your craazy mama
with your ball and chain

plain psychotic
plain insane

December 16th, 2004 06:50 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
How can de Crazy Mama such a fucking rock? It's very strong, hard, rough, everything... Keith and Charlie keeping that strong beat are fantastic, and Mick's singing is fucking great. His voice is sooo killer in this song, specially when he goes " ahhhhhh don't think i ain't thought about it, it sure make my shackles rise! ''.

Who play that killer slide? Was Ronnie?

And that amazing piano? Preston?

yes i know. and have u seen the video? mick looks ridiculously hot. he moves with the music so nicley
December 16th, 2004 06:54 PM
KeithRichardsgrl Yeah mick looked goooooooood in that video but .... aww keith was HOTTTTTTTTT in that video, I couldnt stop looking at him.
December 16th, 2004 07:37 PM
Stonesdoug blast from the past

http://www.exile.com.au/stones/

December 16th, 2004 09:01 PM
Soldatti Thanks Stonesdoug.
December 16th, 2004 10:44 PM
BILL PERKS THE BLACK N BLUE VIDEOS ARE AWESOME.THE WORST LIP SYNCHING EVER BUT WHO CARES.
FOOL TO CRY
HEY NEGRITA
CRAZY MAMA
HOT STUFF
December 17th, 2004 05:25 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
souldoggie wrote:
The main guitar riff on this just has to be in Open G. I love that tuning anyway, but on this song you can really get the guitar to ring like a bell.

And I may be wrong, but since the piano is credited to no one on the inner sleeve, I always picture it being Stu bangng away on this.

Could you tab that for me Soulie!? I've been always trying to figure out the way this riff was played....

Thanks in advance
December 17th, 2004 01:12 PM
iluvmickjagger07
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
THE BLACK N BLUE VIDEOS ARE AWESOME.THE WORST LIP SYNCHING EVER BUT WHO CARES.
FOOL TO CRY
HEY NEGRITA
CRAZY MAMA
HOT STUFF

mick looks the hottest during that time but the cutest in the late 60s
December 17th, 2004 03:30 PM
souldoggie Sure, Flash, I'll try. But I'm not so good at tabbing. I'll give it a whirl. I'm assuming you know how to tune to G.

Anyway, bar the 7th fret and hammer and hold on the second string, 8th fret, at the same time hammer and hold the 4th string, the D, on the 9th fret. It will probably take a few moments to get the swing of the song.

Then the chord change is in the open position, no bar, and again you hammer and hold the second string, 1st fret and 4th string, 2nd fret.

Then back to the 1st phrasing. (7th fret)

Then the next chord change is to the 2nd fret, again same finger hammer and holds.

Then, my favorite part, where he slides to the minor on the 4th fret. Play this with ring finger barring the 5th, 4th, and 3rd strings...and at the same time index finger on the 2nd string, 3rd fret.

Then release that chord to a pure, no finger, open G.

I hope this helps, if not, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I can talk you through it. Thanks for asking, I love playing this, and few even know it's just one more beautiful open G jem by riff-master Keith.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood