ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie Wood in Dublin 8.12.01 (review) Return to archive
12-09-01 04:01 PM
Gazza Hi folks

Just got back home a few hours ago from Dublin where Woody & his band performed their first promotional gig to promote "Not For Beginners"

Was expecting a good night out and maybe a show of about 70-90 mins with mostly new material and a few Stones standards. As it turned out,our man did himself proud - a super 135 minute trawl through Woody's Back Pages with a setlist of over 20 songs (didnt keep track of the exact running order)

Lots of fans came over from places like Japan,Holland, Germany, Scandinavia and the like as well as closer to home. Ronnie acknowledged this during the show. It was nice to finally meet (after some 18 years!!) Rocks Off's good friend Bjornulf Vik from IORR before the show through. When getting introduced to some of his fellow Scandinavians,one guy from Finland (Johan,I think...sorry if i'm wrong)shakes my hand and says "Are you Gazza?" to which I replied "uh...yeah" and he goes "Greetings from Marko in Finland..",as unknown to me our favourite "crazy bastard" from Rocks Off had told this complete stranger to look out for me. Marko's as mad as we all thought he was,apparently with a house that is practically swamped in Stones "rarities". Nice surprise,Marko - you crazy bastard!

The pre-show music was a wonderful selection of R&B and rock n roll(Johnny Allan's"promised land",some Jimmie Reed,
Howlin' Wolf) as well as - right before the band comes on - Monty Python's touching "Sit On My Face & Tell Me That You Love Me" (George Harrison sure would have loved that one,I thought)

Five minutes past Nine and the band hits the stage. Woody looks in good physical shape but paradoxically appears to have just got out of bed,having gone to sleep on a different planet than the one hes just found himself in. His hair has a life of its own and resembles a birds nest that has been attacked by a swarm of killer bees. After every song he keeps fluffing and mussing it - somehow or another it got into something more resembling a hairstyle as the show progressed. He's backed by a six piece band,whose average age must be about 20. His daughter Leah is on backing vocals - she looks about 14,even younger than on the Stones tour (as does her dad - I guess partying with Keith for two years takes its toll on anyone) and his son Jesse is on rhythm guitar - the kid is a born performer and his confidence onstage is staggering. The bass player and Vinny,the other fella on backing vocals look so young they could well have been schoolmates of the two Wood kids.

Woody mentions about how good it is to play in Ireland "since the Stones seem to keep missing it out" and then takes the piss out of his "main" band by mentioning that at least "We dont come up with flimsy excuses like not being able to transport the equipment over" (The Stones cancelled a Dublin show in 1990 due to poor ticket sales thanks to the World Cup - they used the excuse that it wasnt feasible to get the band's stage and equipment shipped to Ireland in time to do a show on the required date)

Woodys voice is a bit rough in parts having he claims having been rehearsing hard all week,but hes playing really well and the band's cooking as they launch into "So You wanna be a rock n roll star". They do about four songs and then bring on Frankie Gavin from Galway (who played on "Voodoo Lounge") to play fiddle on a couple of acoustic songs (he later comes back for a few more near the end) The second one,"Ooh La La", gets the crowd really going and the packed club is up on their feet with Jo Wood in the gallery practically conducting the singalong. Happy to report,Woody isnt drinkin too much - a few quaffs of red wine but no Guinesses ("because it makes me need to wee during the show" ) and according to the interview ith him in the new issue of "Hot press" hes given up the vodka. As per usual,hes smoking when hes not singing (they even have a cigarette break after a few songs as Woody asks the crowd to "talk amongst yourselves for a couple of minutes"). Unlike many of the Stones shows in recent years,Woody's actually concentrating more on PLAYING than mugging to the crowd which hopefully is a reflection on the state of his health.

The quiet part of the show done and dusted,Ronnie then introduces an old friend and on comes Slash and the place goes nuts. He's about six foot tall before you even get to the mop of hair which must be about another two feet,and when he puts his hat on a couple of songs later,he resembles - with all the tattoos - something akin to a Giant Lenny Kravitz on steroids. He has a cigarette between his lips for the ENTIRE show. From where I'm standing,theres no face,its a mass of curls with an ash occasionally protruding from it. Ive never been much of a Guns'n'Roses fan,but to be fair the guy plays his ass off and remains onstage for the rest of the night without actually trying to overshadow Woody - only when they play "Paradise City" near the end of the main set does he really milk it,and rightly so.

the first song he plays on is "Testify" and its one of the high points of the night. From the Stones back catalogue they do a somewhat half-assed "Miss You", a fantastic arrangement of "Hey Negrita" which rocks better than the Stones version ever did,a lengthy version of "Little Red Rooster" with Woody playing great bottleneck and Slash letting rip on some great blues licks and which,for me,was the highlight of the night - and they cap off the main set with "Its Only Rock'n'Roll". Four or five songs off the new album get an airing too,but Woody doesnt forget his first few solo albums and they also play songs such as "Take a Look at the guy","Am I Groovin you","Crotch Music" , "Flying" and "Breathe On Me". Most moving part of the show is when he dedicates two songs back-to-back to departed Beatles. "Far East Man" (which he co-wrote with George in 1974) followed by a rendition of "Jealous Guy" for John,who was assassinated 21 years ago today.

"paradise City" gives everyone an excuse to let rip - they play a very extended intro before Ronnie and Slash disregard the verses and bawl out the chorus a couple of times. Following "IORR" the band takes their leave, before Woody comes back on to do a lovely "Around the Plynth" medley which includes snatches of "prodigal son" (cue more singalongs..). The rest of the band comes back and the evening is rounded off with a raucous "Stay With Me" which is bordering on deafening - obviously they'd been watching "Spinal Tap" and bought amps which "go all the way up to 11"...

All in all,a fucking great night out - good to see the man back on form and lookin healthy. Hope it bodes well for 2002. Enjoy Shepherds Bush on Tuesday to anyone who's going.
12-09-01 04:26 PM
Cardinal Fang Thank's for the GREAT review Gazza. It was almost like being in Ireland. He did my favorite solo song, Take A Look At The Guy. You ever hear the version of that Ronnie did with another former G-n-R member Izzy Stradlin? For me, that's the definitive version. Playing a Python song? The fucking NERVE!!!

Later, Cardinal Fang
12-09-01 04:44 PM
Gazza I must admit when they played the Python song I thought "wait till the two "cardinals" hear about this one"

Oddly enough,I was singin along to this one at the top of my voice. No one else seemed to know the words,though...
12-09-01 05:16 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 if you have pics please add them here! i would love to see them!
12-09-01 06:05 PM
Gazza Took a few from distance with a crappy camera - they'll probably be mediocre but I'll check once I get them developed and post any thats half decent...

Show was recorded - hope I can get a copy soon. I noticed someone up in the balcony with a camcorder - however as she was sitting right beside Ronnie's wife,I doubt that copy will be circulating too quick!
12-09-01 09:10 PM
steel driving hammer Izzy Stradlin - the only thing good about GNR.
Love his style of guitar. Love his albums.
Come on now inside and warm me up....today. Great album.

Gazza, I was so exited reading your post I had to pour another glass cause I'm searching Stones and Dylan tonight, fuck work, I'll be there.

Well, here in the Broken Hearted, Mending US, Mick did the funniest bit on SNL since he played Keith 10 years ago! You can't miss this one Gazza.

Btw, Best Buy, has no listing of "Not For Beginers" on their system?
Nor does any local record shops?
Not to be rude but, what the fuck is the deal?
And whats this Cardinal Fang had a copy 2 months ago?

I'm Gonna Knock Yer Teeth Out!

12-09-01 09:18 PM
FujiSaki SDH, dude, you like the Black Crowes but "Izzy Stradlin is the only good thing about GNR" ???
12-09-01 09:40 PM
steel driving hammer Mitsubishi,

Yes Black Crowes and Izzy are one in the same - pretty good.

GNR should never be talked about here. END OF STORY, END OF THEM.

Listen to Izzy's solo albums and thank me later.
12-10-01 10:07 AM
nankerphelge Great review and the best info is that Woody is playing guitar instead of just playing around. That bodes very well for next year. YOu will recall that the last time Woody put out a solo that was good and Mick put one out was just before Voodoo Lounge -- that could be a very good thing.

I sure hope Keith is paying attention -- he needs to go into 2002 in the right frame of mind -- no hard feelings with Mick, no attitude with Ronnie -- just get it together and put out that next STones classic.
12-10-01 11:19 AM
Cardinal Ximinez Yay for Gazza! Thanks for the review Bro! I can't believe know one else knew the words to the Python song. Just goes to show that you are just a wee bit better than they are.

Was anyone there drinking Guinness? LOL!

When you locate a copy of that show, I know a certain Eastern seaboard Cardinal that would like a copy. You can e me from my webpage: http://www.geocities.com/cardinalx17009/index.html

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.