ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Erotic editor wins bad sex prize Return to archive
12-05-01 10:45 AM
moy

Hall: 'Bad sex writing is like bad sex - better than nothing'

Novelist Christopher Hart has won the 2001 Bad Sex in Fiction award for his novel Rescue Me.
Mr Hart, who is also the literary editor of the Erotic Review, was presented with the award by Jerry Hall at a ceremony on Tuesday evening.

The presentation was held at the Naval and Military Club in St James's, London - a venue known to its members as the "In and Out Club".

"Her hand is moving away from my knee and heading north - towards the pole"

Christopher Hart
Rescue Me

The annual award is organised by the Literary Review, and was founded by the literary critics Rhoda Koenig and the late Auberon Waugh in 1993.

'Pleasure'

Presenting the award, a semi-abstract statue representing sex in the 1950s, Jerry Hall said: "Bad sex writing is like bad sex - both are better than nothing.

"It gives me great pleasure to present someone with an award for bad sex.

"I usually present them with divorce papers."

The winning passage by Christopher Hart used an extended polar exploration metaphor to describe an amorous encounter.

'Twitching'

"Her hand is moving away from my knee and heading north. Heading unnervingly and with a steely will towards the pole," he wrote.

"And, like Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Pamela will not easily be discouraged. I try twitching, and then shaking my leg, but to no avail.

"Ever northward moves her hand, while she smiles languorously at my right ear.

Waugh: Disliked 'crude, tasteless' sex in novels

"And when she reaches the north pole, I think in wonder and terror - she will surely want to pitch her tent," reads the passage from Rescue Me.

Last year the prize was won by Sean Thomas for his novel Kissing England - and presented by Jerry Hall's ex-husband Mick Jagger.

Previous winners have included AA Gill, Sebastian Faulks and Melvyn Bragg.

Auberon Waugh, who died in January at the age of 61 and was the son of the writer Evelyn Waugh, once said that the prize was intended to highlight "the crude, tasteless, often perfunctory use of sexual description in the modern novel - and to discourage it".

http://news.bbc.co.uk
[Edited by moy]
12-05-01 02:50 PM
Joey "Ever northward moves her hand, while she smiles languorously at my right ear. "

Barf !!!!!!!!!!!!

12-05-01 07:42 PM
~AzQb

Yeah, YoungJoey

YOU should be writing sex novels...yer already pretty well good at it ; )

"Nibble my sternum HARD, Ronnie!!!"

~A
12-05-01 11:35 PM
CS other article about the same

Did Mick Give No Satisfaction?

Jerry Hall has taken a cheeky swipe at her sex life - and left people guessing whether the jibe was aimed at ex-husband Mick Jagger.

Presenting the annual Bad Sex in Fiction Award at a ceremony in London, the actress raised a chuckle by hinting the Rolling Stones star's playboy image may not live up to reality.

She laughed: "It gives me great pleasure to present someone with an award for bad sex. I usually present them with divorce papers!"

'Better than nothing'

But Hall also said: "Bad sex writing is like bad sex - both are better than nothing."

The prize was presented by Jagger himself last year.

Hall handed the Bad Sex in Fiction gong to novelist Christopher Hart for his novel, "Rescue Me".

His winning passage used a polar metaphor to describe a sexual encounter.

"Her hand is moving away from my knee and heading north. Heading unnervingly and with a steely will towards the pole," he wrote.

'Pitch her tent'

"And when she reaches the North Pole, I think in wonder and terror: she will surely want to pitch her tent."

As his prize Hart, who is also literary editor of Erotic Review, won a semi-abstract statue intended to symbolise sex in the 1950s.

The award's late co-founder, literary critic Auberon Waugh, once said the prize was intended to highlight the "crude, tasteless, often perfunctory use of sexual description in the modern novel - and to discourage it."
12-06-01 12:18 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Talking about Jerry this recent pic fits with this thread LOL

The pic is at the Hotel Bristol in Paris last week, the photo by Patrice Falour/Starface.
12-06-01 01:02 PM
Joey Is that Mick Taylor's Ex - wife standing next to Jerry Hall in the picture ?????

12-06-01 01:40 PM
Maxlugar Yes Annie, Joey came up with that "I'd like to Nibble your (insert body part here)".

He also, apparently, started that whole "hug me" bit.

"Steal my material until I look like Ronnie and get fired, Ronnie"
12-06-01 03:20 PM
Joey You make Young Joey say , Huh ??????
12-07-01 12:20 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Joey wrote:
Is that Mick Taylor's Ex - wife standing next to Jerry Hall in the picture ?????

No Joey, she is not Rose, I think she's a French friend of Jerry but I'm sure she's not Rose (Mick Taylo's ex wife)
12-07-01 01:54 AM
~AzQb

Will someone PLEASE...

"Help me get that beehive outta mah hair Ronnie"???

MisterMax, I look forward to catching you up in NYC either this month or next at the latest...remember those "sweeet sixteen" photographs...and we shall e-mail eachother with all the delightful details. BB himself is playing tomorrow night on my birthday, but that's a bit close to make plans. But we will. You are my Eminent MaxLugar ; )

and shall always be.

~A
12-08-01 05:18 PM
The Eggman Are u kidding, Mick Jagger rocked her fucking world...lol

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.