ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gimme Shelter voted Stones' top song Return to archive
12-05-01 07:47 AM
CS Fellow musicians have voted Gimme Shelter as the Rolling Stones greatest ever track.

It tops the list in a survey of 100 stars such as Bob Geldof, Marc Almond and Mick Hucknall for Uncut magazine.

The song is from the 1969 album Let It Bleed and became known to a younger generation after it was used for an RAC TV ad campaign.

But the survey shows voters were unimpressed by the wrinkly rockers' output of the past three decades - the most recent tracks in the top 20 were a pair dating back to 1972.

The band have released more than ten original studio albums since the LP which spawned Tumbling Dice (ranked at number five in the poll), Happy (voted number 12) and Exile On Main Street.

The track also gave its name to a film chronicling the band's 1969 free concert at Altamont, which was marred by violence and was widely seen as the end of the hippy dream.

Singer Mick Jagger chose Gimme Shelter as his own favourite from the band's four-decade career.

Guitarist Ronnie Wood went for Sister Morphine, recorded more than four years before he joined.

Some of the Stones' most enduring hits, such as Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar and The Last Time fail to make the top 10, coming in at 14, 16 and 30 respectively.

Miss You - which makes the personal top ten for both Jagger and Wood - did not even make it into the top 40.

Allan Jones, editor of Uncut, said: "Apart from The Beatles and Bob Dylan, no other act in the history of rock has left their signature on the times as strongly as the Stones.

"For anyone growing up surly in the Sixties, they were the only band that mattered.

"They were the wildest, rudest, hairiest and most rebellious group around, so it's a real measure of their durability that their timeless music speaks just as loudly today as when we first heard them."

1. Gimme Shelter.

2. Street Fighting Man.

3. Sympathy For The Devil.

4. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

5. Tumbling Dice.

6. Paint It Black.

7. 19th Nervous Breakdown.

8. Jumpin' Jack Flash.

9. Play With Fire

10. We Love You

12-05-01 07:50 AM
CS Stars name Rolling Stones top 10

The guitar line from the opening bars of Gimme Shelter has helped the song to claim the title of the Rolling Stones' greatest ever track.

Pulled from the 1969 album Let It Bleed it tops the list in a survey of 100 stars for Uncut magazine.

However, the survey shows voters were unimpressed by the Stones' output over the past three decades.

The most recent tracks in the top 20 were a pair dating back to 1972.

The band have released more than 10 original studio albums since the LP which spawned Tumbling Dice (at 5) and Happy (12), Exile On Main Street.

Gimme Shelter became known to a new generation after it was used for an RAC television advert.

The track also gave its name to a film chronicling the band's 1969 free concert at Altamont, which was marred by violence and was widely seen as the end of the hippy dream.

Mick Jagger chose Gimme Shelter as his own favourite from the band's four-decade career, while guitarist Ronnie Wood went for Sister Morphine, recorded more than four years before he joined.

Some of the Stones' most enduring hits, such as Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar and The Last Time fail to make the top 10, coming in at 14, 16 and 30 respectively.

Uncut editor Allan Jones, commented: "Apart from The Beatles and Bob Dylan, no other act in the history of rock has left their signature on the times as strongly as the Stones."

12-05-01 09:16 AM
Maxlugar Can't really argue with their top choice. I was surprised Gimme Shelter was not on that VH1 Top 100 songs list. It's proably the best song ever.

Also, I really respect Uncut Magazine and their anti-circumcision stance. Be believe Cardinal Ximy is an editor over there.

Long live the foreskin.
12-05-01 10:26 AM
moy
quote:
CS wrote:
while guitarist Ronnie Wood went for Sister Morphine, recorded more than four years before he joined.

cool selection ronnie!
12-05-01 02:41 PM
Gazza "UNCUT" is out in the UK tomorrow - complete with two different Stones covers..as far as I know,maxy - there will be no circumcision "extras" with it!

The full top 40 list was

1. Gimme Shelter
2. Street Fighting Man
3. Sympathy For The devil
4. Satisfaction
5. Tumbling Dice
6. Paint It black
7. 19th nervous Breakdown
8. Jumpin' Jack Flash
9. Play With Fire
10. We Love You
11. You Cant Always Get What You want
12. Happy
13. 2000 Light years from Home
14. Honky Tonk Women
15. have You seen Your Mother,baby..
16. Brown Sugar
17. Sway
18. Ruby Tuesday
19. Wild Horses
20. Cant you Hear Me Knockin'
21. Just Wanna see his Face
22. Get off Of my Cloud
23. Rocks Off
24. All Down The Line
25. Child Of The Moon
26. Beast Of Burden
27. Moonlight Mile
28. Under My Thumb
29. Shattered
30. The Last Time
31. Lady Jane
32. Soul Survivor
33. Waiting On A Friend
34. Start Me Up
35. Respectable
36. Memo From Turner
37. Undercover (Of The Night)
38. Hot Stuff
39. Stray Cat Blues
40. Winter

Cant really argue with the number 1 choice!

Some obvious choices and some REAL surprise omissions (no "Midnight Rambler" being the main one not to mention mega-hits such as "Little red rooster","Miss You","its all over now", Angie", "Its only rock'n'roll" and "lets spend the night together"). Good to see some unlikely choices too such as "memo from turner","Just Wanna See his face" and "winter",some songs known primarily as B-sides (Child of the Moon) and in some cases the B-side polled higher than the A-side (Play with fire outpolled The last Time, YCAGWYW outpolled Honky Tonk Women)

List breaks down by decade (per release date):
1960's - 20 1970's - 17 1980's - 3
earliest choice - 1965. Most recent - 1983.

Maybe some clues for the Stones as to what might be played on the next tour..or more the case,what some people would LIKE to hear!

Of the 40 songs,
We Love You,Sway,cant you hear me knockin,Just wanna see his face,Child of the Moon,Soul Survivor,Memo from turner have never been played by the Stones in concert

Have you seen your mother baby,Lady Jane,Stray Cat Blues & Winter have not been played in at least 25 years.

Food for thought indeed.

12-06-01 02:12 AM
F505 It's a bloody shame that the best Stones-song ever is not on that list: Let it Loose
12-06-01 06:36 AM
Hovercraft lET IT LOOSE IS ONE OF THE STONES BEST EVER I AGREE MAN

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.