ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Great gig in heaven! Return to archive
11-30-01 11:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Line Up - The Great Gig in Heaven

The Chorus and lead vocals
Soprano: Freddy Mercury
Tenors: John Lennon, Steve Marriott
Mezzo-soprano: Janis Joplin, Freddy Mercury
Baritones: Jim Morrison, George Harrison, Muddy Waters
Contralts: Big Mama Thornton, Freddy Mercury
Basses: Frank Zappa, John Lee Hooker.

The Strings:
Lead Guitars: Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Zappa, Terry Kath, Tommy Bolin
Rhythm Guitars: Brian Jones, George Harrison, John Lennon; Jerry Garc�a, Steve Marriott
Sitars: George Harrison, Brian Jones
Basses: Gary Thain, Felix Pappalardi

The Keyboards
Pianos: Nicky Hopkins
Woogie Boogie Pianos: Ian Stewart
Keyboards: Nicky Hopkins, John Lennon

The Percussions:
Drums: Keith Moon, John Bonham
Assorted Percussions: B.J. Wilson, Jimmy Miller

The Winds:
Trumpets: Miles Davis
Saxes: Brian Jones
Recorder: Brian Jones
Flutes: Chris Wood
Harmonicas: Brian Jones, Steve Marriott
Trombone: Vacant... does anybody want to join?

I don't think we have here on earth a better line-up... do we?
12-02-01 02:43 PM
Miss U. Right on, Voodoo Chile! They're havin' a blast up there.
12-02-01 03:15 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Bass...Rick Danko, James Jamerson, Willie Dixon

Harmonica...Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Walter

Piano....Theolonius Monk

Guitar...Kurt Cobain, Johnny Thunders,

Vocals...Kurt again, Joey Ramone, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Billie Holliday, Hank Williams, Cass Elliot

Drums...Dennis Wilson

Sax...Charlie Parker

Voodoo Chile...I know your list wasn't meant to be all-inclusive, but I just had to add these guys and gals. I know there's lot's more. Feel free to add on!
12-02-01 04:41 PM
steel driving hammer Damm Zimmy! Good list! Toast!

Just one knob needs switching...

Substitute Kurt Cobain for Buddy Holly. Thats it.

Lets toast.

12-02-01 05:06 PM
Child of the Moon Speaking of Rick Danko, I'll also have to add Richard Manuel on piano and vocals.

Now, let's hope we won't have to edit this list for any more inclusions in the near future.
12-02-01 06:30 PM
Gazza >Now, let's hope we won't have to edit this list for any more inclusions in the near future.

Elvis Presley - lead vocals.

No rock n roll singer ever came close as a vocalist
12-02-01 06:52 PM
The Eggman Only if he sang "BURNING LOVE" then Elvis would be the lead singer

lol
12-03-01 01:22 AM
Happy Motherfucker Hey, you gotta have Janis Joplin on backing vocals. Jerry Garcia on lead guitar. Elvis doing a rousing verson of "Redhouse" now that would be interesting!
12-03-01 01:36 AM
Jaxx
quote:
Happy Motherfucker wrote:
Hey, you gotta have Janis Joplin on backing vocals. Jerry Garcia on lead guitar.

yes, my thoughts exactly. george was also a fabulous lead guitar player, in his own right, so its not fair to leave him off the lead list, either. i guess these guitar players could trade off playing lead/rhythm as desired, bounce off each other.. what a phenomenal jam session that would be!

12-04-01 09:53 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great additions!! My line-up was made based on George's friends in real life, and musicians on the same cultural scenario.

Great addition Rick Danko and Richard Manuel, they fit very well. Of course we can change George Harrison and Jerry Garc�a to the lead guitars, but just see the lead guitars up there, to be honest they are great, maybe we can also put Terry Kath to rhythm and all guitars just as "guitars"

Janis Joplin doing only backing vocals? I didn't mention who is backing and who's leading but is the Heavenly Music Corporation. I can't find better female singers on heaven!

Oh my god just imagine that band! I wanna be there LOL, the problem is that it's only one-way ticket!

And I forgot to mention the lighting and illumination team: Timothy Leary, William Burroughs and Allen Gingsberg.
12-04-01 10:07 PM
Milton What about Randy Rhoads, guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne? He died in a tragic accident, he was very young, but is considered one of the best ever, am I the only one here who like Ozzy/Black Sabbath?
12-07-01 09:29 AM
Cardinal Ximinez You know, I don't think anyone mentioned Roy Orbison, Eddie Cochran, or sweet Gene Vincent either. Prolly oughta consider those guys.

Milton....do you honestly feel that Randy Rhodes is on the same level as the artists that have been mentioned here? Randy Rhodes could play, but so could lots of others. Randy would not be on my list because I don't think he was a very influential guitar player. He played well, but so does my Uncle. The people who have been mentioned hertofore have all be influential, even legendary. Randy Rhodes is neither of those things. Perhaps if he had lived he would have become those things, but tragically, he died before he could get there.
12-07-01 09:36 AM
Maxlugar I like Black Sabbath/ Ozzy.

Ximey is right about Randy Rhodes though. Perhaps if he lived longer...

I think Ozzy and Keith should do a movie together. Those are two of the most colorfull and quotable characters in Rock.

There'd have to subtitles though.
12-07-01 10:50 AM
Cardinal Ximinez The only people who understand Keefspeak, and Ozzyspeak, are not able to communicate clearly themselves, thus making subtitling nearly impossible. Besides, I think it's more fun to do your own interpretations.

Do you know of a Japanese band called Shonen Knife? Fang and I have been discussing them as of late. They sing in a very thick Nipponese accent. And their phrasing is strange at best. It's fun to try to figure out what the hell they are talking about.

If you eat to much at picnic
You will get the stomach ache

sounds like

eef u ee toma panis
yowa ga toMAK aysk

For years I thought this was a filthy, overtly sexual lyric. I was very disappointed when I read the actual lyric. See what I'm saying? Sometimes what we hear is BETTER than what was actually said. Japanese monster movies...I always prefer the unsubtitled, japanese language versions. I like to make up my own dialogue. If it's dubbed English, I just turn the sound off. Invariably, MY dialogue is way better anyway. I swear a lot.
12-07-01 11:01 AM
Maxlugar That reminds me of that show that used to on witht he guy and the two robots that had to watch cheesey sci-fi movies and they'd make fun of them. That was a great one. Mystery Science Theater 2000, I think it was called.

By the way, has anyone seen that new Bowling show on Comedy channel? I think I ruptured a testicle watching that last night.

'81 tour rules! <---- Required Stones content.
12-07-01 03:26 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Mystery Science Theatre 3000 was a fantastic show. FPM, myself, and some of our no good pals used to sit around and watch crappy B movies, and it was EXACTLY like that show, except without the robots. Then MST 3000 came on and we were really pissed off because we had been doing that show for YEARS without getting paid! Still, they showed some really awful movies, and for that we were grateful. You see I'm from the "It's so bad that it's good" mold.

I've seen that bowling show a couple of times, but South Park and The Man Show blow it out of the water, IMO.

The '81 tour does rock. To bad the concert film documenting it sucks so bad. It wasn't the Stones fault. Hal Ashby was a dickhead. He singlehandedly RUINED what should have been an epic film. If I ever meet the SOB, I'm gonna deck him.
12-07-01 04:51 PM
Joey I saw Keith Moon at " Charlestons " last night . He was sitting up at the bar talking to the bartenders and drinking Brandy Alexanders . Trust me , when you " Hang " with Keith you usually end up with a very substantial hangover the next morning .

Keith Moon was by far the greatest drummer who ever walked this orb ...........Well , Buddy Rich was not bad .

" Drink to me Ronnie "

Joey , C10

12-07-01 05:08 PM
Maxlugar Yeah me and my friend should sue Beavis and Butthead for ripping off our days of sitting around making fun of music video's. But what are ya gonna do....

Man Show is awesome but no South park blows. I tried to like it too. Although Towely was very funny. "wanna get high".

That Bowling Show is getting funnier and funnier each time out though.

"Lose a Tap, Tap, Tap shoe in my ass Ronnie!"

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.