ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Billboard Music Awards...obsenity? Return to archive
12-13-03 07:51 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Nasty Language on Live TV Renews Old Debate

By Frank Ahrens
Washington Post Staff Writer

Nicole Richie of the Fox reality show "The Simple Life," prepared to announce a category of nominees on the Billboard Music Awards on Wednesday night. Standing alongside was her co-star, hotel heiress Paris Hilton, who warned: "Now Nicole, remember, this a live show, watch the bad language."

Richie paid no attention, using a vulgar substitute for the exclamation "shoot." The broadcast, which employed a five-second delay to catch obscenities, bleeped out the offending word. But Richie was one step ahead. Before Fox could hit the "dump" button again, she described her time on "The Simple Life," in which she and Hilton live with an Arkansas farm family. She repeated the word and then added one for good measure.

"Have you ever tried to get cow [expletive] out of a Prada purse?" Richie said. "It's not so [expletive] simple."

Richie's bad words come two months after a little-noticed -- and, many say, nonsensical -- ruling by the Federal Communications Commission that appeared to sanction what government officials called "the F-word," as long as it is used as an adjective. Critics say the decision further unleashed the potty mouths they believe are taking over radio and television.

Members of both parties in Congress are demanding that the FCC crack down harder on broadcasters, while some FCC members want to toughen the penalties the agency imposes. At the same time, lawmakers are grappling with the fact that the government's limited enforcement powers over the public airwaves do not apply to cable channels, which are grabbing more and more viewers.

Parent groups and socially conservative organizations that monitor broadcasts agree that television and radio content is getting racier and raunchier. Members of the Parents Television Council, a group that monitors television broadcasts and whose celebrity advisers include Pat Boone and Jane Seymour, have filed more than 85,000 complaints about broadcast indecency and obscenity at the FCC this year.

Fox apologized for Richie's words. "With the immediacy of live television comes the possibility of action or dialogue that may be offensive to some viewers," the network said in a prepared statement. "We experienced a failure in the system designed to prevent such an occurrence and are working to ensure it does not happen again."

Richie was reading from a telepromter, but sources said the words in question were not in the script. The show's producers probably urged her to be "edgy," said one source, expecting that any obscenities would be caught by the delay.

Richie's language was heard on WTTG-5, the Fox network's station in Washington, and by millions of people on the East Coast and in the Midwest, during what are known as the prime-time television family hours of 8 to 10 p.m. Fox West Coast producers managed to catch the obscenities.

The FCC, charged with enforcing indecency and obscenity standards on the public airwaves, issued a ruling in October regarding the utterance of the "F-word" during a Fox broadcast in January.

During the live Golden Globe Awards broadcast in January, Bono -- frontman for the Irish rock group U2 -- received an award and exulted, "This is really, really [expletive] brilliant!"

The FCC's enforcement bureau ruled that Bono's utterance was neither indecent nor obscene because it did not describe a sexual function.

Sens. Ernest F. Hollings (D-S.C.) and 11 Republicans, including Pete V. Domenici (R-N.M.), introduced a resolution last week blasting the FCC's ruling on Bono.

The resolution does not demand further FCC regulations against indecency but would direct the agency to consider revoking the broadcast licenses of television stations that repeatedly air indecent material. It also says the FCC should fine programs for each indecency during a show, not levy one fine for the entire show. In other words, if the FCC were to fine Fox for Richie's language, it should impose two fines, one for each curse word, a plan the FCC is likely to adopt.

Rep. Doug Ose (R-Calif.) wants more. He has proposed legislation to effectively overturn the FCC ruling, blasting the agency for relying on a "technicality."

"You want to split hairs? I'm going to shave your head," Ose said, referring to his legislative remedy.

Ose and Rep. Lamar S. Smith (R-Tex.) last week introduced a bill that lists eight words and phrases that could not be spoken on broadcast television without punishment.

In a letter to the Parents Television Council after the enforcement bureau's ruling, FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell wrote: "Personally, I find the use of the 'F-word' on programming accessible to children reprehensible." The five FCC commissioners are reviewing the ruling by David H. Solomon, chief of the enforcement bureau.

The FCC "is doing an indecent job of enforcing indecency," Commissioner Michael J. Copps said in an interview. "If we send one or two of the most egregious cases to license renewal hearings, we'll see it improved quite a bit," meaning that if broadcasters are threatened with losing their licenses, the airwaves would be cleaned up quickly.

First Amendment advocates say the FCC's indecency standards are not only unconstitutional but are too vague to enforce. Much depends on context. For instance, National Public Radio's broadcast of the John Gotti organized crime wiretaps, peppered throughout with the "F-word," were never ruled indecent. But the FCC seems unsure of how to apply its own standards, said one First Amendment lawyer who has asked the FCC for an overhaul, saying the agency risked having a court reject the rules.

"The problem is the indecency standard is not a standard. It's basically a test for what people find distasteful and that is entirely in the eyes and ears of the beholder," said Robert Corn-Revere, a lawyer with Davis Wright Tremaine LLP in Washington. "Now we have a growing number of instances where the [FCC] has had to correct itself or has others looking over its shoulder."

Radio is also under increasing scrutiny. This week, the FCC fined Detroit radio station WKRK-FM $27,500 for airing a listener discussion of sexual practices and techniques.

Copps, who dissented from the majority on the WKRK action, said the fine was insufficient and that the FCC should have started a hearing to revoke the station's license. Commissioner Kevin J. Martin said the station should have been fined $27,500 for each of the nine determined instances of indecency on the WKRK broadcast.

The FCC's decision on Bono's language was quickly spoofed by "South Park," the sometimes-vulgar series starring cartoon children on Comedy Central, a cable channel owned by media giant Viacom Inc., parent of CBS.

In the episode, a teacher is shown saying that students can use a common swear word "only in the figurative noun form or the adjective form." The students, like many lawmakers, are puzzled.

Martin played the "South Park" clip to an audience at the annual meeting of the Institute on Telecommunications Policy & Regulation last week in Washington, apologizing for its content. "There is something wrong when our agency draws technical lines that even the people 'on the edge' find laughable," Martin told attendees
12-13-03 09:16 AM
nankerphelge I'm starting the Cuss Channel on cable.

Clearly there is a market for potty mouth and I'm just the guy to help with the problem.

I'm a fuckin' visionary!

The Cuss Channel will host anyone and everyone that believes that swearing is a necessary element of language and the FCC can direct all "offensive" shows to the Cuss Channel. Parents and those concerned about what their kids are exposed to can block out the Cuss Channel.

I expect many of you to prepare some public fucking service announcements for the Cuss Channel!

12-13-03 09:30 AM
parmeda **** 'FCC Chairman Michael K. Powell wrote: "Personally, I find the use of the 'F-word' on programming accessible to children reprehensible." ' ****

This fucking asshole obviously hasn't been out to the malls these past few weeks taking notes on how some mothers are "explaining" to their children that they "can't have"...all the while their strollers and arms are loaded with xmas gifts, one snotty kid crying, another kid doing the pee-dance, and yet another wanders off!

Mr. Powell needs to be welcomed to the real world with a nice "fuck you, pal"!

12-13-03 03:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Out of date? They were always out of date IMHO. Too much back slapping and boot licking for me. But I suppose they're neceesary.
12-13-03 03:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Mr. Powell needs to be welcomed to the real world with a nice "fuck you, pal"!

Why? Because he doesn't think children should be exposed to the "fuck" word too soon.
12-13-03 05:09 PM
SHINE A LIGHT hey, motels...why are they"necessary". other than to give exposure on behalf of the record companies!!
12-13-03 05:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
hey, motels...why are they"necessary". other than to give exposure on behalf of the record companies!!

WEll, to help up keep a good supply of Bread & Circus's I suppose.
12-13-03 05:35 PM
SHINE A LIGHT oh, ok....you mean tv "filler"?? i never watch them, but i guess they do bring in the viewers!!!!
12-13-03 05:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
oh, ok....you mean tv "filler"??

No.... I mean Bread & Circus's... in the Roman sense of the phrase...keep John Q. Public in chains. As long as they follow the bouncing ball with their eyes they never feel it when the pocket is picked. It's the oldest trick in the book. Because it works.
12-13-03 07:16 PM
SHINE A LIGHT thanks kindly for the explanation....i'm having a migraine today! really.
yes, i agree with you, didn't someone once say that you can never lose money by underestimating the stupidity of the public???? yep, these shows keep 'em hooked no matter what silly crap is on. it's the "i just HAVE to watch this" mentality. do they ever ask themselves ....why??

have i got it now, motels??? ( the migraine is still here).
12-13-03 07:59 PM
glencar Fascinating in a car wreck kind of way...
12-13-03 08:05 PM
SeerSuckersuit The Most Versatile Word In The World!!!

"FUCK YOU"

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language is the word "FUCK". It is the one magical word, which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate.

In language, "FUCK" falls into many grammatical catagories. It can be used as a verb, both transitive (John fucked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was fucked by John). It can be an active verb (John really gives a fuck) or passive verb ( Mary really doesn't give a fuck) ; or an adverb (Mary is fucking interested in John), and as a noun (Mary is a terrific fuck). It can be used as an adjective (Mary is fucking beautiful).

As you can see, there are very few words with versitility of "FUCK" .Besides its sexual connotations this incredible word can be used to describe many
situations:

Greetings----------------------How the fuck are you?
Fraud--------------------------I got fucked by the car dealer.
Dismay-------------------------Oh, fuck it!
Trouble------------------------Well, I guess I'm fucked now.
Aggression---------------------Fuck You!
Disgust------------------------Fuck Me!
Confusion----------------------What the fuck-------?
Difficulty----I don't understand this fucking business.
Dispair------------------------Fucked again.
Incompetence-------------------He fucks up everthing.
Displeasure--------------------What the fuck is going on here?
Lost---------------------------Where the fuck are we?
Disbelief----------------------Unfuckingbelievable!
Retaliation--------------------Up your fucking ass!
It can be used to tell time--It's five fucking thirty!
It can be used in an anatomical description--He's a fucking asshole!
It can be used in bussiness--How the fuck did I wind up with this job?
It can be maternal-- as in "Motherfucker"
It can be politcal-- "Fuck Clinton"

And never forget General Custer's last words : "Where did all them fucking indians come from?"

Also, the famous last words of the mayor of Hiroshima "What the fuck was that?"

And, last, but not least, the immortal words of the captain of the Titanic, who said, "Where is all this fucking water coming from?"

The mind fairly boggles at the many creative uses of the word. How can anyone be offended when you say "FUCK"? Use it frequently in your speech and it will add to your fame and prestige.

Today ---------- say to someone- "FUCK YOU"

==============================================================

To hear the spoken version go to:

http://www.fuck.addr.com/news/word/larry.html

12-13-03 08:06 PM
glencar Unfuckingbelievable!

[Edited by glencar]
12-13-03 08:28 PM
SHINE A LIGHT oh honey,i've already fucking done that....too fucking many times to count,especially with a fuckin' migraine!!!!!
12-14-03 07:47 AM
Pattie
"fucking" isn't my favourite cuss word, I do like cocksucker though. Also damn!
12-14-03 09:38 AM
glencar Keith uses "c**t" a lot.
[Edited by glencar]
12-14-03 09:49 AM
nankerphelge SeerSucker, that was beautiful!!

You are hereby lead-Anchor of the Cuss Channel's Six O'Clock Fucking News!

We are also taking applications and resumes for the following positions:

Weather-fuckin'-person!
Fucking Political Correspondent
and Sports (we actually need a play-by-fucking-play, and fucking color).
12-14-03 09:57 AM
glencar Let's get that Marcus Arelianus for political reporter. This way I can say "Fuckin' idiot!" all day.
12-14-03 11:54 AM
Pattie
Keith is such a cunt sometimes
12-14-03 12:22 PM
glencar Wha-wha-what?????????????????

12-14-03 12:30 PM
Pattie
hahaha well he is! always putting Mick down. Mick never says incredibly rude things to Keith..
12-14-03 12:31 PM
glencar That doesn't make him a cunt! He's just an angry friend. Understandable, no?
12-14-03 12:36 PM
Pattie
I thought this was the cussing thread? alright alright I won't diss him anymore. But wasn't it funny on SNL when Mick played Keith and said (yep you know)
Mick.....you ignorant cunt!!
that was funny. Cunt is a good word, atleast when you're reading Henry Miller.....
12-14-03 12:38 PM
glencar I love cunt. And yes, anytime the Stones are on that SNL show, it's cool. I watched a bit of last night's ep & fell asleep early.
12-14-03 12:40 PM
Pattie
I was meaning to ask you, what's the team that's blown so badly for 85 years?
12-14-03 12:41 PM
glencar Oh, the Bosox! I just found out to my distress that my 8-y.o. nephew up in CT is somewhat of a Bosox fan. For Christmas he's getting some Yankees crap.
12-14-03 12:43 PM
Pattie
ahhhh baseball! I don't know nuthing about baseball. But I love soccer
12-14-03 12:44 PM
glencar I've palyed soccer but I've lived baseball. Not as much a fan of bb now as when I was younger.
12-14-03 02:35 PM
Pattie
I love soccer, soccer soccer!! All Europeans do....well almost
12-15-03 01:13 PM
gimmekeef I'd rather watch paint dry than soccer...more action!