ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When I Was Cruel Return to archive
12-16-02 01:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot If you haven't asked Santa for too much stuff already, or if you still need to buy yourself a Xmas present...get Elvis Costello's "When I Was Cruel".

Sorry Bruce, this is the album of the year.

EC has finally left the torch song and balladry at home, whipped out some electric guitars, and played some rock and roll. And played VERY well, I might add. This is easily his best work since Imperial Bedroom. Catchy, witty, lyrical, varied....something for everyone. There's even a song for all our lawyer pals called "Soul For Hire". I really like the songs "45", "15 Petals", the title song, both versions of "Dust"(oddly "Dust No. 2" is before "Dust" in the tracklist.), "Alibi", and "Tart". Actually though, there's not a stinker in the bunch.

She asked "Are you looking up my skirt?"
And when I said "No"
She said "Why not?"
------------------------------------------------
Tear off your own head
Tear off your own head
It's a Doll Revolution
Well I believe we just
Become a speck of dust
Every Elvis has his army

Seriously though, if you like EC, even a little bit, this is one you gotta have. And if you have never heard Elvis Costello...try this one, and go backwards from there.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
12-16-02 02:10 PM
jb Elvis played here about 2 months ago in a small theater...My friend went and said he told the people in the back to "come on down" and my friends expensive seats became obstructed ...still sais it was a good show...
12-16-02 03:10 PM
Sir Stonesalot I really fucked up by not trying to go see EC this time out.

I'll have to check his schedule and see if I can still catch him somewhere. My wife likes him...anniversary is coming up.....hmmmmmmm.
12-16-02 03:15 PM
jb You must be busier this time of year..the holidays is always a very violent time..lots of suicides, murders, etc...
12-16-02 11:30 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, it's really a shame. I've personally taken 3 suicide calls since Thanksgiving. Not people telling me that they were gonna do it...what I call "aftermath" calls. You know, you answer the phone and someone is screaming. You get them calmed down enough for them to tell you that they found a loved one dangling in the basement, or with a gaping hole in their head.

It's really hard to get to sleep some nights.

Actually, I just had one of those yesterday. Guy went to visit his brother, smelled the smell, kicked in the door, and found his brother...about 3 days dead...brain splattered all over the wall, hand still on the shotgun. Fucked up stuff. Here's a helpful hint to all you aspiring 911 Telecommunicators. Don't ask the question, "Well, how do you know he's dead?". They fuckin' tell you.

Actually, we are more busy with idiots who forgot how to drive on bad roads since last winter. Dingdongs think that having 4WD makes them immune, and they can drive like maniacs. Then they end up in the hospital, and we have a highway closed down for several hours. Dipshits.

On the other hand, you also get to talk to people who get stuck on the word "every", and keep repeating it until you talk to them, and squeek when you ask them a question. This guy is so funny. He gets me laughing so hard I feel like I broke a rib. It becomes an exercise of seeing how many times I can get him to say "every", and I always ask 10 too many questions..just to make him squeek. Oddly enough, I'm the only one who messes with him.

Get me to tell some 911 stories when we hook up.
12-17-02 12:30 AM
gypsy I feel for ya, SS. As you know, I work in the ER. I've seen it all.
Come to gypsy, SS. I know how you feel. Let me hold you. I'll be gentle.
[Edited by gypsy]
12-17-02 02:00 AM
Martha Elvis C. opened for the Stones show in Cleveland, SS...it was great!

I've been hearing how fantastic the new album is. Thanks for posting your personal take. I'll look for it to show up in my club catalog!

Oh...we saw some of those dipshits who drive like idiots on the freeway during a pretty hairy snowstorm on our way home from Columbus late night after the Petty show. One ended up in the el-ditcho.....HELLO!

I'm just thankful he didn't try to take us with him! Plenty more of him though, following behind at warpo speed.
Stupid fucks.

I have no idea how you handle the line of work you are in..I have the weakest stomach...can't even take horror films...never could.

Thank God for you and you too, Gypsy. Lord knows we NEED people like yourselves. Strong-stomached types.

God Bless you both.
12-17-02 05:06 AM
MRD8 Dear Sir,
I have an excellent bootleg video of Elvis's 6-18-02 Beacon Theater show...he draws heavily from the new album as well as some great older songs...I think you'd get off on it! Email me after the holidays and I'll shoot off a copy to you...
12-17-02 09:42 AM
jb SS...I think people in your profession are grossly underpaid and underappreciated. The only time you hear anything, is when some 911 moron mishandles the call. I am sure 99% of the time, you guys get it right and save thousands of lives.
I recently had a client in his 60's who lost over 3.2 million in the market. We had an SEC arbitration and the panel awarded him 1.7 million back b/c of broker churning, unsuitability, and 10b-5 violations. The other day, his wife calls me and tells me he committed suicide!!!! You just never now what a persons breaking point is... In the past, i handled some very bitter divorce cases and I honestly thought that the spouse was going to shoot me, his wife and himself at the depositions...I was so fearful, I started to have the depos taken at the couthouse as you need to pass security monitors to get in...