ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If you could play one Stones album *live* in its entirety... Return to archive
12-14-02 09:52 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy ...And you had only a drum kit, a bass, two guitars and a piano, which one would you pick?

I'm thinkin' Exile or Let It Bleed. Especially now with the stops pulled from Let It Bleed on the ABKCO SACD, it becomes even more like one giant experience.

-tSYX --- Well we all need someone we can bleed on...
12-14-02 09:55 AM
Moonisup indeed let it bleed

monkey man, rambler, love in vain

GREAT
12-14-02 11:01 AM
full moon Tattoo You...
12-14-02 11:28 AM
steel driving hammer Dirty Work.

Really.

Think about it...

12-14-02 11:45 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Dirty Work.

Really.

Think about it...

OK...

I've thought about it...

Aaaaaaand....

No way.

I would rather have my testicles roto-rooted before playing "Back To Zero", "Winning Ugly", "Sleep Tonight", "Harlem Shuffle"... gahh!

-tSYX --- God only knows it's not what we would choose to do... (Cool song... too bad they went on to produce some three-hour monstrosities and became more ecclectic than interesting)
12-14-02 11:48 AM
steel driving hammer Shit we've heard everything else live but not Dirty Work.

Think about it some more...

Their doing a killer Chuck Berry version of Neighbors.
Saying that, we'd hear Winning Ugly rock, Fight rock, Hold Back rock, Had It With You ROCK!

Since you agree w/ me now, cheers!

12-14-02 11:51 AM
FPM C10
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
...And you had only a drum kit, a bass, two guitars and a piano, which one would you pick?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you wishing for the ABILITY to play the album, or you have a band WITH the god-given talent to do it and just can't make up your mind?

Either way, I'd go with Exile. It's longer, and the styles covered are broader. If you have a band that can start at Rocks Off and not stop till the end of Soul Survivor, you've got a band that can play ANYTHING.

And my favorite album is Let It Bleed.
12-14-02 12:42 PM
Soul Survivor Satantic............

2000 man, Sing This All Together, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Lightyears from home,etc....

How can you resist?
12-14-02 01:04 PM
Monkey Woman For me, it's definitely Sticky Fingers! 'Brown Sugar', 'Bitch', 'Dead Flowers', CYHMK... Can't resist!
12-14-02 01:12 PM
Martini I'd like to hear the "Tattoo You" or "Emotional Rescue" albums performed live. Of course, I'm a "Side 2 of Tattoo You cultist."

-M

12-14-02 01:14 PM
parmeda AFTERMATH

And Mick, if you're reading this...save it for January 21st or 22nd, dear. I want ya to Paint My Ass Black...Thanks!
12-14-02 01:15 PM
full moon Aftermath on Jan 21-22 would be cool. I will be at both Chicago shows...
12-14-02 11:46 PM
Stonesthrow SDH said:

>>we've heard everything else live but not Dirty Work.

Why do you think that is? The Stones are not idiots.
12-15-02 01:14 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
SDH said:

>>we've heard everything else live but not Dirty Work.

Why do you think that is? The Stones are not idiots.

Steelie Is Right. The correct answer is DIRTY WORK, even if he who posted this topic does not know it. Everyone in the room would be UTTERLY devastated. You don't think they could rearrange Winning Ugly and Back to Zero to the point where they would kill? YOU ARE WRONG!!!

12-15-02 02:11 AM
sonicrock agree for dirty work
but again satanic CITADEL.........OUCH
12-15-02 03:39 AM
Stray Cat How about the 1st album,in a club;

Route 66
Carol
I just want to... (played fast)
Little by little ( my no.1 wish song)
I'm a king bee
Tell me
You can make it...
Walking the dog
etc. etc...
12-15-02 04:40 AM
F505 If they play Dirty Work live that will be the first Stones concert in my life where I won't go.... Aftermath is a good one, Exile because they will play Let it Loose (great, great song) and IORR because of Time waits for no one, one of their best ballads ever...
12-15-02 06:37 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat What about having them play all their albums in a multi days session....
12-15-02 09:18 AM
justforyou Why anyone would want to play an album in its entirety live is beyond me. Whats up with the Winning Ugly bashers ? It's surely not the weakest track on DW, did you ever hear the bass on the Crushed Pearl outtake ?
12-15-02 11:09 AM
Scottfree
quote:
F505 wrote:
Exile because they will play Let it Loose (great, great song) and IORR because of Time waits for no one, one of their best ballads ever...

Your speaking my language, ultimatley I would go with Its only RnR and simply because of Time Waits.... ( I really don't see it as a ballad) the greatest song ever written in word and song and feel combo.. "Star crossed in pleasure, dreams float on by...
12-15-02 12:12 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Eh... "Time Waits For No One" is mystic Mick Taylor crap with a cool chorus. I wouldn't mind doing it live, but it's still not my favorite.

I would *love* to do Exile & Sticky Fingers live, the only issue being the fact that we don't have a sax. That really rips up Sticky Fingers, Exile I think we could get by with much snarling of the guitars.

Yeah, I guess the question is - if you had *only* those instruments to work with, what would you consider the best album to play through in its entirety?

My choices'd be, in order:

Exile On Main Street
Aftermath
December's Children (And Everybody's) and/or Out Of Our Heads (UK), depending.

The idea of doing the first album... hmm... that might be fun.

The reason I ask is because this new band I'm in wants to do entire albums live. I think it'll be great, and we'll be able to start up gigs as early as February.

-tSYX --- Hope of deliverance...
12-15-02 12:22 PM
full moon Time Waits For No One is fucking brilliant...
12-15-02 02:01 PM
justforyou Why not go for what you'd *love* to do...no sax ? Oh well, does it have to be exact ?
12-15-02 04:09 PM
sasca I agree with Stray Cat : 'The Rolling Stones".
12-15-02 05:37 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
justforyou wrote:
Why not go for what you'd *love* to do...no sax ? Oh well, does it have to be exact ?

Naw, of course it doesn't. But "Bitch" & "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" without horns & sax? "Moonlight Mile" we could probably do accoustic, and "Sway" could be covered over with loud guitars and so forth... but there's still gonna be a lot of empty space without the horns.

-tSYX --- Butccha gonna be fine...
12-15-02 05:54 PM
Scottfree
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Eh... "Time Waits For No One" is mystic Mick Taylor crap with a cool chorus. I wouldn't mind doing it live, but it's still not my favorite.

The most complex song the Stones have ever done in all manners.

The ascending and decending runs, makes you feel the Time truly waits for no one, mixed with rising and falling chops by Nicky Hopkins. When Taylor pulls off the ascending scale a few notes short you get the feel of time lost, then he hits a somber coda which symbolizes finality. It gets no better.....

People that believe the song is rubbish, just don't understand it...
12-15-02 06:34 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Aftermath. What an incredible album for the mid sixties. (The UK version, of course.)
It sends to hell all those electric Dylan albums: Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde (and yet sadly people bought more Beatles' ones.)
Sad bloody how? (Middle ground: let's get some Blood On The Tracks instead, really high drunk while "The kids are arlight" is playing fast thru our speake3rs.)
Fuck i'm drun,lk

12-15-02 06:37 PM
T.CentralScrutinizer Sorry about that one. "Time waits for no one" is one of the very few stones' songs (i.e. "honest i do") that cause me honest tears when upon hearing it.

"Mick Taylor"'s crap is in the stool if you dare check it ouy.