ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Your Favorite Stu Return to archive
12-12-02 06:34 PM
100 Years Ago In honor of the observance of Ian Stewart's death 17 years ago, what are some of everyone's favorite Stones song featuring the late, great Stu?

some of mine are: She Was Hot, Dead Flowers, IORR, Short & Curlies
12-12-02 06:45 PM
beer Let It Bleed
12-12-02 06:50 PM
Mathijs Stu is not on Let it Bleed (the track), that's Nicky Hopkins.

My all time favourite Stu moment is the last 90 seconds of She Was Hot: you hear three Jagger's howling, Bill's pumping, Keith's doing all his Berry riffs, and Stu gives his best ever Johnnie Johnson impression, making this the best 90 seconds since the outro of Tumbling Dice.

Mathijs
12-12-02 07:05 PM
SirMuddy Stewed & Keefed (Brian's Blues)
Chicago Chess Studio Sessions
RIP Folk!
12-12-02 07:14 PM
sonicrock round and round
but who s playin the piano in don t lie to me in metamorphosis if it s him i ll take that too
12-12-02 07:44 PM
beer
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Stu is not on Let it Bleed (the track), that's Nicky Hopkins.

Mathijs

Sounds like Stu to me. Everything I've ever read bout that track says it's Stu on Piano. I'll take Stu for 500 alex.
12-12-02 07:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl You're right Beer, Stu is on the original recording of Let it Bleed (the song)
12-12-02 08:15 PM
wkoetke My favorite Stu: sitting mild mannered, but still somewhat torn and frayed, behind the piano during the 1981 tour. He was fabulous.
12-12-02 08:31 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! I just love the coda at the end of Dirty Work, Great Stu-ness!
12-12-02 09:13 PM
nankerphelge First time I saw the Stones in Buffahole 1981, me and a bazillion of my closest pals packed up front in Rich Stadium. It was insane. We were so tightly packed, the whole group just moved in waves. I was remarkably sober -- I had a Schlitz and a joint and I was so fucking pumped to finally see my band!!

It was a cold, blustery but beautiful Western NY fall day (Lonesome George rocked the clouds away) and the Stones came out with relatively little fanfare. The last live Stones we had was Love You Live (and a tantalizing Whip from Sucking in the 70s) and I wanted some Fanfare. But there wasn't, there was this jazzy music and some piano banging and some guy pulls back this huge curtain and the only thing I see is Stu sitting at the piano. My first Stones experience and all I see is Stu!! Anyway, Mick came ripping out immediately after and that was pretty much the end of my watching Stu, except for the intro. What a lucky guy tho -- I'm sure they must miss him still.
12-12-02 09:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
- I'm sure they must miss him still.

Yes, I'm sure, just see the expressions on Mick and Keith the day of the funeral:

� Photo Trends
From Beggars Banquet Vol. 2, No. 8
Thanks to Bill German
12-12-02 09:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl BTW, my favourites incude "Boogie with Stu" from Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin, the Howlin' Wolf sessions and many with the Stones
12-12-02 10:11 PM
Nasty Habits Whenever I think of Stu, the first thing that comes to mind is Little Queenie on Ya-Yas.
12-12-02 10:20 PM
Stonesprofessor EVERYTHING......we miss ya Stu!
12-12-02 10:23 PM
JaggaRichards Dead Flowers, Around And Around, Down The road apiece, Let It Bleed............miss ya Stu!
12-13-02 04:14 AM
Mathijs indeed, for 15 years I thought it was Nicky Hopkins playing piano on Let it Bleed -but it indeed seems to be Stu!

Mathijs
12-13-02 04:46 AM
Moonisup indeed the piano on the 1981 tour are great, and also some on the 1978 tour, is it Stu on sweet little 16??

rik
12-13-02 07:39 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy For Stu with the Stones...

I love "Let It Bleed", "Short And Curlies", but I think one of my all-time Stu favorites is "Flight 505".

-tSYX --- Gemme on flight numbah Fiiiiiive-oh-five...
12-13-02 08:28 AM
souldoggie There are so many great Stu piano tracks on so many great songs. One song, Crazy Mama, there is a piano track on it, buried way down in the mix. But I hear it every time, and I love it. It's always puzzled me as to why no one is credited playing it. To my ear, it's got to be Stu, and not Billy.
12-13-02 08:47 AM
Boomhauer That little diddy he does in Hang Fire is pretty damn great!

12-13-02 04:38 PM
shakedhandswithkeith the end of "Dirty Works" Key to the Highway that`s boogie woogie Stu
12-14-02 12:45 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

"Why'd you have to leave us like that, you sod!
I could think of a hundred other fuckers who should have gone instead of him!
He wasn't even on my list!" - -
Keith Richards. New York City 1985

Ian "STU" Stewart b. July 18, 1938 - d. December 12, 1985

Vielen Dank Bendix!!!