ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: guns n roses Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
12-14-02 12:35 AM
stonedinaustralia of course i do...i just couldn't begin to guess...

btw, is the info re "the whizz" on that asheville business directory site still current...if so, be careful when you pick up the phone...you don't know who might be calling...
12-14-02 12:46 AM
sirmoonie Hey SIA, are you an Aussie lawyer? I couldn't quite tell from that other post.
12-14-02 12:49 AM
stonedinaustralia yes sirm, i've finally come out of the closet on that one, i have just clocked up 10 years of sorting out other people's dishonesty, stupidity and just plain bad luck...great fun isn't it??

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-14-02 12:50 AM
Nasty Habits As long as you're not trying to improve my telephone service, give me a better credit card rate, or send your band's CD so I can decide whether or not I want to put consignment copies in my store I would be delighted to talk to you.

Today's #1 crazy wild super hit sale had simply had to be...

The homeless guy who came in, scrounged through our pathetic ass selection of 30 or so tapes, found a copy of Peter Frampton's "I'm In You" (with the little sticker across the case, damn thing HAD to be an original and at least 25 years old!) asks how much it is, hears it's a buck, goes outside for a half an hour, begs on the street in the cold ass miserable sheety rain, comes back in, says "Is 50 cents OK?" and walks out with "I'm In You". This guy was 225 pounds if he was 50 and, uh, not of the expected ethnic demographic that goes for Peter Frampton if you can grok my speek. I pocketed the quarters and they will not appear on my 2002 financial report. I learned earlier this week that money that does not go through the register is called "Rope A Dope" money.

ROPE A DOPE!

ROPE A DOPE!

What goes on in peoples brains?

12-14-02 12:53 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
As long as you're not trying to improve my telephone service, give me a better credit card rate, or send your band's CD so I can decide whether or not I want to put consignment copies in my store I would be delighted to talk to you.

that's ok then... i just wanted to say hello
12-14-02 12:59 AM
Nasty Habits Of course -- I would be absolutely delighted to hear from you -- I am just blowing off steam from a rather long week in there. I must say, retail is a grind that drags you down. I seem to bounce back from it with less and less zip and aplomb. I used to say that I liked people but I didn't like the public. After 10 years in retail I find that I don't like people, as a general rule, very much (Rocks Offers to the contrary). Where does it end? Many of my fellow dealers tell me they never listen to music. That is a road I hate to even contemplate . . .

Mississippi John Hurt now, his last sessions. Lord how I love that song "Let the Mermaids Flirt with Me."
12-14-02 01:00 AM
gypsy A lot of lawyers on this board. So, what does everyone here do? I'm a trauma x-ray tech.
Joey, what do you do?
12-14-02 01:09 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
1. Of course -- I would be absolutely delighted to hear from you -- I am just blowing off steam from a rather long week in there.

2. Many of my fellow dealers tell me they never listen to music. That is a road I hate to even contemplate . . .

1. i figured as much - no offense taken as i knew none was intended

2. yes, but you are walking the tight-rope aren't you - what's that saying "ride the tiger - reap the whirlwind" sounds like you, like just about everybody else i know (including me), could use a holiday...at least down hear it's summer, which means, at least, i'm not also getting bummed out by cold nights and wet days...
12-14-02 01:13 AM
sirmoonie Nasty, stories like that, and the way you write them are why I look for your posts. Please don't stop.

I always think of you as that dude in High Fidelity.

That was a great book, btw, much better than the movie.

Cheers!
----
SIA, its truly bizarre how many lawyers hang around here.

Interesting decision your highest court handed down on internet liability the other day. Almost like the butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon and causing an earthquake in Alaska parable. That decision was literally world shaking! It was inevitable though, countries (and businesses) that take advantage of the internet are going to have to figure out ways to actually regulate it as well.
12-14-02 01:15 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

sounds like you, like just about everybody else i know (including me), could use a holiday...at least down hear it's summer, which means, at least, i'm not also getting bummed out by cold nights and wet days...

Tell me about it .. . I find winter depression "so clich�" but I definitely find myself slothful, morose, and morbid for about three months out of the year. I honestly don't remember feeling this way back in Missouri, when the winters were TOTALLY miserable, so I don't know whether or not my "winter depression" is brought about by advancing age (for whatever that's worth at mine), North Carolina, or one more year in a pay pen of my own creation. Anyway, I'm closing the fuck down for three weeks in January --- Ebay pays better than the store does in the deadest part of the year, and at least I won't have to deal with an open empty store. A closed empty one has much better atmosphere.

12-14-02 01:16 AM
parmeda Moonie....coming to Chicago? Any luck with the tickets?
12-14-02 01:28 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Nasty --
I always think of you as that dude in High Fidelity.

Well, at least that's better than being compared to the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons.

12-14-02 01:31 AM
stonedinaustralia [quote]sirmoonie wrote:

SIA, its truly bizarre how many lawyers hang around here.

> it certainly is - i'm not sure what to make of it - if anything??

Interesting decision your highest court handed down on internet liability the other day. Almost like the butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon and causing an earthquake in Alaska parable. That decision was literally world shaking! It was inevitable though, countries (and businesses) that take advantage of the internet are going to have to figure out ways to actually regulate it as well.

> yes, i read today the ny times was critical

the high court here are pretty good - they guard their judicial independence like bull-dogs - and generally maintain an intellectually honest and legally sound approach - with zero regard for the policial ramifications of their decsions - that's for the pol's to sort out - so without having read it i'd say the judgment is probably "good" in terms of australian law

but as we've seen the ramifications of the decision run around the world - apparently they were they first "highest court in the land" in the world to have to consider the issues

one pundit here suggested that it's effect will be to hasten the world to adopting uniform "protocols" under treaty when in it comes to "policing" the net - he made reference to your (the u.s.' that is) "single publication" rule as being the preferred option...

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-14-02 02:48 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Joey, what do you do?

given his SELF-CONFESSED blow habit it wouldn't surprise me if either deals the stuff, pimps or generates income by knocking off people's televisions and VCRs (or a combination thereof),imho, of course

12-14-02 03:32 AM
sirmoonie Pammy!

Still working the time frame. The mid-week bit is not helping.

TM now is selling the one you said was out and blanking me on the other. Doesn't matter because I can't commit to buying either yet. Its keeping me up nights! Like right now!

Are you going to both UCs?
12-14-02 08:31 AM
nankerphelge Sorry I missed the late nite activities folks -- that damn party ran real late. But it wasn't the hum-drum affair I had feared. Actually had a pretty good time without a drop of hootch or whiff of them fumes.

I got to talking with Hank Kissinger and I told him the whole 9/11 thing was not his cup of tea and that he should drop it. I think he was listening. We'll see what he does.

That Hank, what a crack-up -- not the intellectual stiff you might think. The host and hostess of the party had these little Christmas elves in a display on the front lawn and Hank kept sneaking out and posing them in various sexual positions! Then he filled his coat pockets with meatballs and kept popping them in his mouth all nite.

Anyhow, so I got home too late to "board up" -- but I was thinking of you all!
12-14-02 11:17 AM
sirmoonie So do you want to hear about my dead deer report? Okay, I'll tell you.

Hungover like hell, I head down to the police station at the crack of dawn. Fortunately, its one of those 1 in a thousand hangovers where you've somehow scrambled your brains in such a way that you actually feel good. Pleasantly slap happy.

I'm told immediatly that I must wait. Apparently the expert in charge of handing out dead deer forms is occupied. Thats cool, I've never minded police stations, even when brought there forcibly. Lots of very stupid people on either side of the line, doing lots of stupid things. Kind of like being at a mall. Plus there were two fellow deer killers who wanted to tell me all about how they killed a deer with their cars.

Finally my name is called and I meet the dead deer officer. She doesn't look much like and expert, but I'll accept their representation the she is the only one who can handle this. I tell her I'm there to fill out a dead deer report and she actually says "We fill out the report, you just provide the information." I'm just smiling now.

They want lots of information about me. It dawns on me that I could blow this off and pay the fine which I understand is $25. So I tell her I've changed my mind and would rather just pay up than tell them my addy, SS#, employer, etc. This blows her mind. She tells me I can't do that. I say that I can, thats why the option of a fine is available. Very flustered, she says that she will need information from me to asses the fine! I'm just laughing now. Like what? The info that I don't want to give you in the first place? Uh.. yes. Oh my god, this goes on for awhile, she deliberates with colleagues, and then comes back and tells me that I'm deliberately wasting time. I give *[blank stare]*. Finally, she says that to assess me the fine, rather than fill out the report, she will need the report the highway patrol fuck wrote up! Guess what lady? I don't have it!

I leave laughing, and I hope at the end of the day, she is smart enough to laugh about it too.
12-14-02 01:21 PM
parmeda ahhh, Moonie...the mascara is running down the cheeks again! You're too funny.

Work on that time frame of yours and I'll see ya in Chicago...
12-14-02 02:11 PM
nankerphelge moonie, that story is surreal -- even for us readers. What in THE hell is goin' on up there?

Questions abound:

What does one have to do to attain the position of dead deer officer? Seems like a pretty easy job, knowing the difference between dead and live deer. 'Course I didn't go to deer shcool or anything, but...

What exactly is the purpose of the dead deer report? Do deer need death certificates? Are they trying to determine next of kin? It's very different here in Virginia -- here they encourage you to register with the countty for annual "thin the herd" kills.

Do you get any kind of sticker you can put on your car to indicate confirmed kills? You should get something for the effort no?

12-14-02 03:45 PM
Maxlugar You all wouldn't be making so much fun of this situation had this deer been wearing false eyelashes!

You'd all be mouring it like it was the death of Pam Anderson.

Cold overcast day here a Long Island.

I started drinking early. I have no responsibilities at all today. So why not, right?

I should be bombed and posting around dinner time.

I apologize in advance for any scheduling difficulties this may cause for you.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmaxy!
12-14-02 04:18 PM
sirmoonie Is anyone else booze dancing tonight? I need motivation sufficient to overcome my fear of repeating last night.

It got pretty ugly, you guys only saw the relatively lucid, yet brilliant stuff at the tip of the beerberg.

This home office, where I thought I was doing such high tech financial shit, is littered in beer bottles (one of a vintage I don't even remember drinking), CDs out of their cases, and absolute gibberish written on Post Its. If anyone can decipher "invest in Piper antagonizers" and "liquidation litigation needs a vehicle, find it!" please Private Message me.
12-14-02 04:35 PM
lotsajizz Churchill was an alcoholic; just the proof needed that one can be such and still make it decently in this world; and his tase in alcohol was exquisite; champagne and cognac being his staples....of course complemented with cigars...kinda the political Keith of his time, except that Keith was not an asshole.
12-14-02 04:39 PM
sirmoonie Sean, it really is surprising that a supposed Libertarian would not embrace the Churchillian philosophies.

Do you even go to the meetings?
12-14-02 07:15 PM
nankerphelge Booze dancin'!!?
Count me in.

One bottle of Toasted Head later and a bit o' chiba, and we are on the way!

Ah the Holiday shopping season.
I bought a salt-lick today, but I haven't hung it yet.
I also went on a mascara binge!

12-14-02 08:28 PM
parmeda Oh Nanky...did you happen by chance to stock up on any shades of velvet black? I seem to be running through mine so quickly lately and could use some!

BTW...did you catch where I asked you about the shoes? Just wondering...
12-14-02 09:00 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Churchill was an alcoholic; just the proof needed that one can be such and still make it decently in this world; and his tase in alcohol was exquisite; champagne and cognac being his staples....

And evidently Carlsberg Special Brew:

Sirmoonie is this true? I wanna' party with vagrants & Winnie Churchill tonight! "Never in the field of human conflict was so much nolte owed by so many to so few."

MERRY HOLIDAYS TO ALL & TO ALL A GREAT NOLTE!!!!
--Rob.
12-14-02 10:56 PM
sirmoonie Its not true Highway, Churchill had little truck for ale. Brandy was a major part of his game.

And the Stones. He marveled at this up and coming band in the closing days of his incredible life.

Without Winston Churchill we would all be listening to the Scorpions and Krokus.

Highway, what part of Pittsburgh are you from?
12-15-02 01:12 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sirmooniezimoroonie wrote:

Without Winston Churchill we would all be listening to the Scorpions and Krokus.

Me, I prefer Holy Moses.

DEVIL'S DANCER!

He's Alive!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
12-15-02 01:51 AM
Highwire Rob Sirmoonie, thanks for setting the record straight. If you haven't already, you may want to visit the site that the Churchill/Special Brew graphic is from: www.arrysbrewsite.co.uk/

Note that this is not an official Carlsberg website but it does have an interesting (fictional?) anecdote about Churchill. Once you get to the homepage, I think it's under "History."

I found it by accident a month ago while I was searching for lyrics to the Bad Manners song (quoted in part in my signature below). And since I've seen your great avatar on this site I was just waiting for a chance to post it. Further apropos since beer and liquor are frequently discussed and enjoyed on Rocks Off!

I just moved to the suburbs of Pittsburgh after living 5 years in South Oakland region of the city--that�s University of Pittsburgh campus not to be confused with Oakland, California . The glorious gothic Cathedral of Learning was well in view of my apartment. Do you have friends in Pittsburgh?

Note of interest: I resided on Dawson Street, not far from the boyhood home of a young Andy Warhol. He attended Carnegie Tech (now Carnegie Mellon, also in Oakland) and of course went on to create masterpieces like Lapping Tongue logos! Apparently the house is currently owned by an Asian family who has little interest in its former inhabitant. If I took ownership of that modest home, you better believe my eyes would be scouring over every closet door and windowpane for evident doodling of a prepubescent Warhol. Think of the payoff!

Take Care. --Rob
GO STEELERS!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
12-15-02 02:53 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Me, I prefer Holy Moses.

DEVIL'S DANCER!

He's Alive!

Its Udo Dirkschneider's true plaintive wail in the "Nutcracker" that really boils my potatoes.

Highway! I grew up in East Liberty and then Oakland right off Forbes Avenue. First beer in the Originals. Been a suds fan ever since.

Attended the Reizenstein experiment. My below Avaie is probably a repressed memory of that time or some shit.

Nah, the stuff just rocks.

Stillers used to practice at CMU for away turf games. Three minute bike ride from my mom's apartment. Got autos from all them guys, Noll, Swann, Stallworth, Greene, Lambert, Ham...fun time to be a kid.

Pittsburgh rocks! Its a big Stones city, btw. Despite what Josh says, Pittsburgh has always loved the Rolling Stones.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5