ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Dirty Work Sessions - Pathé-Marconi Studios
Boulogne-Billancourt, France - Spring 1985
© Christian FIOT
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian's Attendance 63-66 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
13th December 2006 05:25 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
ComeAsYouAre wrote:

Hey, you're the one who posted the photo. I was just commenting on it, smartass.

I meant nothing personal.

13th December 2006 05:30 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

A-lister rule # 7...never...ever...apologize for petty insults...walk...and don't look back...apologies should be reserved for serious transgressions
[Edited by Fiji Joe]
13th December 2006 05:38 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

A-lister rule # 7...never...ever...apologize for petty insults...walk...and don't look back

Never ever again! Thanks for mentoring me, I do hope to one day become an A-lister. Please forward remaining rules.

13th December 2006 05:42 PM
Stratus Since KR and BJ took turns playing lead and rhythm, then why couldn't BJ pull off a show without KR if he had to?

quote:
Philip wrote:
Wow, where ever there's Brian talk, there's some folks with issues. :P

Dont forget, Bill seems to think Brian had epilepsy or something similar, so that should also be brought in to consideration. See Stone Alone.

It seems Brian was rarely 100% fit! :/

I think it's a certainty that if Keith couldn't have made a show, it would have been cancelled!
[Edited by Philip]

13th December 2006 06:08 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

No shit?
13th December 2006 10:54 PM
Zack
quote:
Stratus wrote:
Since KR and BJ took turns playing lead and rhythm, then why couldn't BJ pull off a show without KR if he had to?

Because Keith carried the water almost all the time. On most of the 63-67 boots I have, Brian is barely audible.
14th December 2006 03:44 PM
Philip
quote:
Stratus wrote:
Since KR and BJ took turns playing lead and rhythm, then why couldn't BJ pull off a show without KR if he had to?

It's not really the case that they swapped lead and rhythm , maybe you could say that about the very early days, but by 1964/65 Keith played the majority of lead guitar parts with Brian supplying basic rhythm guitar. The main exceptions being stuff with slide, the hook for The Last Time and the repetative, but non essential, part Brian's plays in Get off of My Cloud.

Yeah ok, they could have played a show with just Brian on guitar, but it would have been a very odd set list with none of the jagger/richard hits.

14th December 2006 06:22 PM
Stratus That would have been a very unique Stones show. Have any ideas on what songs they would have played with just BJ?

quote:
Philip wrote:

It's not really the case that they swapped lead and rhythm , maybe you could say that about the very early days, but by 1964/65 Keith played the majority of lead guitar parts with Brian supplying basic rhythm guitar. The main exceptions being stuff with slide, the hook for The Last Time and the repetative, but non essential, part Brian's plays in Get off of My Cloud.

Yeah ok, they could have played a show with just Brian on guitar, but it would have been a very odd set list with none of the jagger/richard hits.

[Edited by Stratus]
14th December 2006 08:03 PM
Olivia1962 Brian was in the hospital i think someone had said that becasue that were he was
15th December 2006 09:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man Discussing Brian’s contributions on stage has got me thinking about how I recently noticed that quite often Brian would just play harp on many songs on stage and not guitar at all. I Just Want To Make Love To You, Not Fade Away etc. I always thought it was Mick who played harps on these tunes until I saw the footage.

Of course Keith did most of the actual solos. He was the Chuck Berry master after all. Now slide, that is different. That was Brian’s forte.
15th December 2006 11:57 AM
Gazza I dont think Mick played harp onstage until 1969 (although he may have done so at the Rock n roll Circus - cant be arsed checking right now) and on the records I think it was from 'Beggars Banquet' onwards

15th December 2006 12:12 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I dont think Mick played harp onstage until 1969 (although he may have done so at the Rock n roll Circus - cant be arsed checking right now) and on the records I think it was from 'Beggars Banquet' onwards

I've been bored enough to check!

According to the Time Is On My Side site, Mick plays harp on quite a few of the early tracks. Honest I Do, Little By Little, I'm A King Be, Confessin' The Blues etc. I guess him playing harp was down to whether Brian was playing guitar or not. It seems to me that the early tracks without Brian on guitat feature him on harmonica instead.
15th December 2006 12:56 PM
dkmonroe That's right, basically if you can hear two guitars and a harp, then Mick's playing the harp. If you hear only one guitar and a harp, then it's Brian. The Stones apparently did much of their very early material "live" in the studio. Or perhaps they wanted to preserve the integrity of their live performance.

There are some notable exceptions, "Going Home" being one. Of course, this is only technically an exception, because it's two Keith guitar tracks and Brian on harp.

I've always been surprised at how little prominent guitar Brian did. Considering how all the Stones bios describe his reputation pre-Stones, you'd think he'd have been taking ALL the solos on the first couple of albums. I can't identify a single guitar solo that Brian played that wasn't slide.
15th December 2006 01:50 PM
Honky Tonk Man Goin' Home isn't the only exception. Brian plays harp as well as the slide on Little Red Rooster.

He also apparently plays all the harp on Beggars Banquet.

I got all this info from the excellent Time Is On My Side site.
15th December 2006 02:29 PM
Philip Mick played the harp on LRR both live and in the studio.

I think Mick also overdubbed the end harp on Parachute Woman. The main one is heard throughout the track, most likely Brian, then the louder more simplistic playing harp overdub(Mick?) comes in at the end whilst the main harp continues to play.

15th December 2006 02:38 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Philip wrote:
Mick played the harp on LRR both live and in the studio.

I always thought it was Mick too, but according to the site it isn't.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/

Check out the Track Talk section. It tells you who is playing what on every released studio recording.
15th December 2006 02:56 PM
Philip
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I always thought it was Mick too, but according to the site it isn't.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/

Check out the Track Talk section. It tells you who is playing what on every released studio recording.

Note 'probable line up', the site has lots of 'questionable' information.

It has all the style and feel of Mick's harmonica playing, he played it live, there's nothing that really points to Brian playing it.
15th December 2006 02:59 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Philip wrote:

Note 'probable line up', the site has lots of 'questionable' information.

It has all the style and feel of Mick's harmonica playing, he played it live, there's nothing that really points to Brian playing it.

Well like I said, I thought it was Mick too. Anyway, the guy has obvsiously used the guitar playing thing wev'e already discused to determine who is playing harp.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)