ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Get well Keef!!
Keithfucius say
"If you're gonna get wasted, get wasted elegantly
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!
© 1979 Mr. Henry Diltz
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: and the year's top grossing tour is..... Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 13th, 2005 09:15 PM
mac_daddy U2's Vertigo

U2's Vertigo Leads Year's Top Tours
December 13, 2005, 1:55 PM ET
Ray Waddell, Nashville
U2's Vertigo tour was the top-grossing trek of 2005, according to year-end figures from Billboard Boxscore that will be published in the Dec. 24 issue of magazine, which hits newsstands Friday (Dec. 16). Vertigo reported grosses of $260 million and drew more than 3 million people to 90 concerts, all of which were sell-outs.

In addition, U2's June 24-27 run at Dublin's Croke Park was named Boxscore of the year, grossing more than $21.1 million and drawing nearly 247,000 fans.

Coming in second to U2 this year were the Eagles, who grossed $117 million from 77 shows, followed by Neil Diamond, who raked in more than $71 million. Country star Kenny Chesney placed fourth with a gross of $63 million; his attendance draw of 1.1 million was second only to U2.

The top 10 touring grosses are rounded out by Paul McCartney ($60 million), Rod Stewart ($49 million), Elton John ($45.5 million touring, plus another $30 million via his Las Vegas show "The Red Piano"), Dave Matthews Band ($45 million), Jimmy Buffett ($41 million) and Green Day ($36.5 million).

Billboard Boxscore does not reflect a year-to-date gross for the Rolling Stones' ongoing On Stage tour. Traditionally, the group's promoter does not submit box-office information to Billboard until after the tour is complete.

The year's top-grossing arena was New York's Madison Square Garden, a distinction it has earned for six straight years. Mansfield, Mass.' Tweeter Center was the top-grossing amphitheater for the third year in a row.

In 2005, North American concerts grossed just over $2 billion, down 6.2% from 2004, according to Billboard Boxscore. Attendance was down 3.8% to 45.7 million.
December 13th, 2005 09:41 PM
voodoopug Why does M. Cohl submit the results from the U2 tour and not the stones...is it that he wants to have the top grossing tours for consecutive years?
December 13th, 2005 09:57 PM
pdog No surprise there, they're playing so many shows and multiple nights back to back.. Who could compete with that. The avg. cost is over $100.00 a ticket each show, or close...
They're the biggest band in the world right now, like it or not!
December 13th, 2005 10:00 PM
voodoopug
quote:
pdog wrote:
No surprise there, they're playing so many shows and multiple nights back to back.. Who could compete with that. The avg. cost is over $100.00 a ticket each show, or close...
They're the biggest band in the world right now, like it or not!

i dont like it
December 13th, 2005 10:10 PM
mac_daddy i dont like it, either.
December 13th, 2005 10:42 PM
Sir Stonesalot I don't like it one bit.

AND!

Bono is a twat.
December 13th, 2005 10:45 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't like it one bit.

AND!

Bono is a twat.

Bono is no A lister thats for sure!
December 13th, 2005 11:13 PM
GimmeExile How 'bout that Neil Diamond!
December 13th, 2005 11:30 PM
voodoopug
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
How 'bout that Neil Diamond!

sadly, he is not playing the Quest Center on Thursday....I am too embarrassed to tell you all who Young Joey is going to see....at least he wont have any trouble shitting or vomitting afterwards though, i can promise you that.
December 13th, 2005 11:37 PM
straycatblues why dont yall like U2? they cant touch the stones, but few if any can.
listen to "In a little while" off of all that you cant leave behind. its a total copy of a stones song, reminds me of under my thumb a little bit, but has the same kinda groove and vocals as many other. i like it tho!
December 13th, 2005 11:43 PM
voodoopug
quote:
straycatblues wrote:
why dont yall like U2? they cant touch the stones, but few if any can.
listen to "In a little while" off of all that you cant leave behind. its a total copy of a stones song, reminds me of under my thumb a little bit, but has the same kinda groove and vocals as many other. i like it tho!

We (true Stones fans) hate U2 because their subpar act is going to overtake the stones as far as tour gross. Bono is using his public stature by proclaiming he wants to save the world when all he truly cares about is self promotion. The Edge has been reduced to a computer technician, he has become a shell of his formal self, using a ridiculous amount of digital sound enhancers and effects. They are not even in the same league as the Stones, or The Who, Pearl Jam, and others for that matter.

We (true Stones fans) must not encourage U2! I assure you if you go to a U2 message board, they will not speak fondly of the stones, we cannot do that here either!
December 13th, 2005 11:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
We (true Stones fans) must not encourage U2! I assure you if you go to a U2 message board, they will not speak fondly of the stones, we cannot do that here either!

If you go to a U2 message board (as Interference) they think that U2 is bigger than Jesus.
December 14th, 2005 12:36 AM
jb This is great news..the 260 does not break Vl...and Cohl will use total of Stones overall tour to claim 400 Million gross with U2 at 354 million............
December 14th, 2005 01:22 AM
Egbert My wife's a huge U2 fan and she dragged me to one of their shows at MSG last month. What a boring concert - anytime the band would build up any momentum whatsoever Bono would kill it with another "save the world" diatribe. Now I'm all for helping people and respect him for devoting so much of his time to to his various causes but not during a concert (there's a time and place...). At one point he urged the crowd to open and hold up their cell phones and that was cool - like a 21st century version of Bic lighters - but then the audience were asked to dial a number (since they conveniently had their cell phones handy) and text-sign their names on to some petition for who knows what. Ugh! I couldn't wait for the show to end. Too bad - I liked them in high school/college but they started losing me with Joshua Tree and it got progressively worse from there. On a positive note I was glad to have the opportunity to see Tom Verlaine of the great Television play with the opener Patti Smith band. Patti looks a lot like Geddy Lee...

[Edited by Egbert]
[Edited by Egbert]
December 14th, 2005 04:06 AM
Stray Cat UK I don't mind some of their music and live shows look pretty good,but it's the never ending "AFRICA,SAVE THE WORLD " Bullshit from Bonzo that gets on my tits.

At least the the Stones are an open,honest, grabbing ,fan abusing corperate machine obsessed with tour grosses.

"you can keep the money pal" - yer right Keith !

After 25 years as a fan ,where do I pick up the cheque ? !

I must be getting old - they are all (besides the music)bullshitting wankers

I've got up too early again !
December 14th, 2005 04:15 AM
Zeeta Couldn't give a fuck who grosses the most £$ its gross!

It's all about the music, man! And we all know U2's music is piss poor so I'm happy!

And surely the more a tour grosses the more the tickets cost! I expect The Stones will overtake next year when they hit the UK and Europe as ticket prices are extortionate! Therefore more £ for Jagger and the tour less for the fans...
December 14th, 2005 05:42 AM
Gazza sad sign of what the Stones stand for these days that so many of their fans seem to think that all that matters is being the highest grossing act at all costs - even if it means fleecing whats left of your fanbase and playing an unimaginative greatest hits show for the corporate audience who eat up most of the overpriced tickets and NEED to hear the only 12-15 songs that they know.

Theres a lot wrong with the Rolling Stones in 2005. And being outgrossed by a band who have played 3 times as many shows this year as they have is not one of them.
December 14th, 2005 06:48 AM
Stray Cat UK Exactly !

I agree with all of the above.

We are officially a "cash cow".

If I hadn't been a fan for so long, I could never buy into the Stones now.

Their treatment of fans is truly a disgrace.
If anyone wants to defend them,feel free. I've had it.

I should have gone to Bon Jovi with the wife.....NOT!

sc uk
December 14th, 2005 07:02 AM
justforyou U2 never tried to weave....
But, I love the deep bass playing on Joshua Tree.
December 14th, 2005 07:25 AM
lotsajizz well put Gazza....many here seem to suffer from penis envy....fer chrissakes U-2's tour began in March and they've played at least triple the number of shows....who the fuck cares?
December 14th, 2005 07:53 AM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck I demand to know the names and Phone #'s of all the charities Bono and his crew of imitation 'Banana Splits'
are going to contribute to ....

NAME THE AFRICAN COUNTRY THAT YOU ARE GOING TO HELP WITH ITS NATIONAL DEBT WITH ALL YOUR TOP GROSSING TOUR $$$ BONO-MAAAAA--N!
December 14th, 2005 08:01 AM
Gazza why should he?

Charity is a private matter, not an excuse for blowing your own fucking trumpet as to how much you donate.

No doubt if he did what you suggested the queue to bash the guy for being tasteless enough to promote himself in that way would be ten times as long.
December 14th, 2005 08:30 AM
Maxlugar Damn right Gazza!

I thought we moved past the huge tour and greatest hits shows with the Licks Tour.

Maxy thought the theatre/club route would be taken more and more.

Look at that Paris Club show from Four Flicks! Jesus! THAT is a a Stones show.

This route was not taken....

December 14th, 2005 08:53 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Look at that Paris Club show from Four Flicks! Jesus! THAT is a a Stones show.

This route was not taken....

they took the easy money road my dear Macky!
December 15th, 2005 10:17 AM
Zanck*Zanck*Zanck ~Gazza~

Yes, in theory I agree with you Charities should be a private matter.However this is the same guy hobnobbing with Presidents and Prime Ministers Etc., a few months back making a stink about relieving Third world debt blah blah and his bands tour is considered 2005's top or near top grosser,then he has painted himself into a corner they should put up or shut up.He is the one who has made a career of blowing his own horn. I am sure they do much good but how about donating all that profit to Bono's African country du jour?

Sidenote,The Stones drop a cool Mill.for Katrina aid without expecting a worthless Nobel Peace prize photo-op
December 15th, 2005 10:21 AM
glencar Bono is doing a grand job of solving some seemingly intractable problems. Slam his music if you want (I choose not to) but don't attack his worthy acts of charity.
December 15th, 2005 10:22 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Bono is doing a grand job of solving some seemingly intractable problems. Slam his music if you want (I choose not to) but don't attack his worthy acts of charity.

Blue, I thought you were not a U2 supporter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jumping Jack Bush has no U2 on his IPOD despite having been in the audience of his Uberness Lord Bono.
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

Blue, I thought you were not a U2 supporter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joshy? Wha-wha-what??? U2 is in my Top 5!
December 15th, 2005 10:23 AM
glencar
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Bush has no U2 on his IPOD despite having been in the audience of his Uberness Lord Bono.

What is in his Ipod?
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)