ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Get well Keef!!
Keithfucius say
"If you're gonna get wasted, get wasted elegantly
oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!
© 1979 Mr. Henry Diltz
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Please remember John Lennon Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
December 7th, 2005 05:11 AM
RollingstonesUSA everybody must blackout (wear all black) on this thursday, december 8th, as it is the 25th anniversary of john lennon's murder. especially because mark david chapman (the guy who shot the gun) might be getting the possibility of parole, which would not be right. so look up some petitions, and let your voice be heard! although i'm not sure we have much to worry about, since he's already been denied it 3 times. but still. just remember everybody!! 25 years without lennon is too much time without one of the greatest songwriters/singers/amazing people in the world (other than freddie mercury ;-) but that's been 14 years) so yes! we shall all wear black verdad? say it with me...

I WILL WEAR BLACK ON THURSDAY TO COMMEMORATE JOHN LENNON

thank you for your time

December 7th, 2005 05:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:
everybody must blackout (wear all black) on this thursday

wise up
December 7th, 2005 05:37 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
RollingstonesUSA wrote:

I WILL WEAR BLACK ON THURSDAY TO COMMEMORATE JOHN LENNON

Me too.I m going to a Domina party so I will probably wear black leather!
[Edited by Jumacfly]
December 7th, 2005 05:44 AM
Gazza I nearly always wear black anyway

I have a Johnny Cash/Lou Reed/Gary Player fixation.
December 7th, 2005 05:56 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I nearly always wear black anyway

I have a Johnny Cash/Lou Reed/Gary Player fixation.

I ve discovered Johnny Cash thanks to Gazza and the "what are you listening" thread.
Rocks off is the greatest school ever!

December 7th, 2005 05:54 PM
keefjunkie i will be wearing my black lennon shirt and black jeans
December 7th, 2005 06:08 PM
the good I respect Lennon as an artist, but my respect for him as a person has steadily decreased over the years. I heard that interview on ABC news the other night in which he says that the Stones copied everything the Beatles did. What is he talking about? The cover to Her Satanic Majesties Request? WHO CARES? As far as the music goes, the Stones always had their own very distinct sound and they never sounded anything like the Beatles. I got the impression Lennon was trashing the Stones because he knew deep down that Mick and the boys had far surpassed the Beatles as a R&R band.
December 7th, 2005 06:29 PM
texile i think john was unleashing his insecurities........
and they came out in acid form.
what's yoko doing today?
she's strngely under the radar.
December 7th, 2005 06:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels John Lennon to be honoured
Amnesty International organise covers project
NME.COM

John Lennon is to be honoured on the 25th anniversary of his death with a live tribute and covers project organised by Amnesty International.

The Cure, Snow Patrol and Paul Weller are just a handful of artists who will be getting together to pay tribute to the former Beatle, who was murdered outside his New York apartment building on December 8 1980 by deranged fan Mark Chapman.

On Thursday (December 8), Sirius Satellite Radio will host a four hour-long 'Lennon Live' tribute which will feature live performances from Dave Matthews, Weller, Jamie Cullum, Dr. John, Daryl Hall, Stereo MC's and Lulu taking place at London's Abbey Road Studios and the Sirius studios in New York.

Following two days later, on International Human Rights Day (December 10), 'Make Some Noise' will launch with the digital release of Lennon covers, including Black Eyed Peas' 'Power To The People', The Cure's 'Love', Snow Patrol's 'Isolation' and The Postal Service's 'Grow Old With Me'.

According to Billboard, the tracks will be available through www.amnesty.org/noise amnesty.org/noisefor $.99 per track.

Contributions from Duran Duran and Lavigne are set to become available early next year.

The project stems from the 2003 donation by Lennon's widow Yoko Ono of the rights to his solo work to Amnesty International.

Ono said: "It's wonderful that, through this campaign, music which is so familiar to many people of my era will now be embraced by a whole new generation."

December 7th, 2005 06:48 PM
kath i will remember him....

as far as that interview is concerned, remember it was 1970 and he was drunk and bitter and kind of a nut job.

December 7th, 2005 06:53 PM
Water Dragon I think John would have liked this one: (though I can IMAGINE how some of you fellow nutters will respond)

One of the best prayers.......

Heavenly Deity, Help us remember that the jerk who cut us off in traffic last night is a single parent who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to cook dinner, help with homework, do the laundry and spend a few Precious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed, disinterested young man who can't make change correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student, balancing his apprehension over final exams with his fear
of not getting his Student loans for next semester.

Remind us, Goddess, that the scary looking bum, begging for money in the same spot every day (who really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking our shopping progress are savoring this moment, knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back last week, this will be the last year that they go shopping together.

Gods and Goddesses, remind us each day that, of all the gifts you have given us, the greatest gift is love. It is not enough to share that love with those we hold dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close to us, but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.

December 7th, 2005 06:54 PM
texile okay - i'm about to dump on a saint.
i loved john's music, individuality and humor etc.....
but his political pronouncements during his lifetime did not loom nearly as large as they do in his legend.
the media has sanctified his memory and john was too funny and cynical for that.
December 7th, 2005 07:07 PM
texile yoko SELLS his music for japanese commercials and DONATES them to a human right's organization....
so the money AND the sanctity is covered.
December 7th, 2005 08:21 PM
full moon Lennon LIVES< PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!
December 7th, 2005 08:41 PM
glencar Howe ridiculous!
December 7th, 2005 08:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
full moon wrote:
Lennon LIVES< PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.
December 7th, 2005 09:24 PM
corgi37 I always remember John Lennon.

Whenever i hear one of his songs, i feel good that the idiot aint around. And, i feel better for sharing that with you all.

Peace!
December 7th, 2005 09:53 PM
texile ooooh corgi - you're going to be in trouble....
i loved the man and his music but despise the syncophantic throngs who put have elevated him to sainthood..
December 7th, 2005 10:44 PM
Starbuck you are all free to think lennon was a nitwit. you can snicker at his bed peace/hair peace shennanigans, you can get all riled up about his comments about mick in the RS interview...do whatever you feel. in alot of ways, i agree: his legend looms much larger than need be, mainly because of the way he died. he is not unlike kennedy, james dean, marilyn monroe and the like.

when it all boils down to it, though, an innocent man who alot of people loved was mercilessly gunned down by a psychotic fruitcake starved for attention. a boy and a young man were left without a father, and the rest of us were left without the music he would have created over the last 25 years.
December 7th, 2005 10:48 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
you are all free to think lennon was a nitwit. you can snicker at his bed peace/hair peace shennanigans, you can get all riled up about his comments about mick in the RS interview...do whatever you feel. in alot of ways, i agree: his legend looms much larger than need be, mainly because of the way he died. he is not unlike kennedy, james dean, marilyn monroe and the like.

when it all boils down to it, though, an innocent man who alot of people loved was mercilessly gunned down by a psychotic fruitcake starved for attention. a boy and a young man were left without a father, and the rest of us were left without the music he would have created over the last 25 years.

few are able to seperate the performer from the person...i fear many will have the same feeling on this board once the tour is over.

Thankfully, young Jake Cohl will be working exclusively with U2 at the conclusion of the tour and shall remain "in"

like his music or not, he did not deserve to go out this way, his family and friends were done a great injustice. At least Elvis went out on his own terms.
December 7th, 2005 11:38 PM
gypsymofo60 Just so long as I don't have to hear that God awfull 'Mother' song. Pouring one's heart out in public like that sickens me. Even when it does come from a musical genius of Lennon's stature
December 7th, 2005 11:58 PM
time is on my side 25 years ago a very talented human being was gunned down by a piece of human shit looking to get his name in the paper & forever to have that very same name linked with Lennon's.

A life was cut short for no other reason than that.

Other's can make light of the situation but to me, when someone gets senselessly gunned down, I have nothing but utter contempt and disgust for these type of violent, brutal acts. May the people who commit them rot in jail. My sympathy always goes out to the victims and their families.

As for Lennon, people can take out their microscopes & find fault. You see it's not really that hard to do. John was no saint and was always quite open about it. He made lots of mistakes during the course of his life. I've had some bad days myself or have been in a bad mood. Thank god there was nobody there with a micophone in my face taping everything. My guess is the same is probably true with lots of others out there including some who may be casting stones. I get the sense he was coming to terms with himself and was ready to embark in new directions. I guess we'll really never know.

Since I never knew him personally, I prefer to evaluate him through the music he left behind. When looking over his contributions with the Beatles and his early solo albums (not really a big fan of the post Imagine albums), I see a rich legacy. John, thanks for the music- RIP.

December 8th, 2005 05:04 AM
gypsy What happened here
As the New York sunset disappeared
I found an empty garden among the flagstones there
Who lived here
He must have been a gardener that cared a lot
Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop
And now it all looks strange
It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

And what's it for
This little empty garden by the brownstone door
And in the cracks along the sidewalk nothing grows no more
Who lived here
And we are so amazed we're crippled and we're dazed
A gardener like that one no one can replace

And I've been knocking but no one answers
And I've been knocking most all the day
Oh and I've been calling oh hey hey Johnny
Can't you come out to play

And through their tears
Some say he farmed his best in younger years
But he'd have said that roots grow stronger if only he could hear
Who lived there
Now we pray for rain, and with every drop that falls
We hear, we hear your name

Johnny can't you come out to play in your empty garden

-Lyrics by Bernie Taupin and Elton John, 1981

December 8th, 2005 06:15 AM
glencar
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
you are all free to think lennon was a nitwit. you can snicker at his bed peace/hair peace shennanigans, you can get all riled up about his comments about mick in the RS interview...do whatever you feel. in alot of ways, i agree: his legend looms much larger than need be, mainly because of the way he died. he is not unlike kennedy, james dean, marilyn monroe and the like.

The sickest part is that the creep was out there for several days & was going to stay as long as it took to gun him down. Lennon had little chance of surviving that week.
December 8th, 2005 06:54 AM
IzzyStradlin I'm not lying when I say, "I remember the day John Lennon died, at least 35-40% of the people I talked to didn't even know who he was."

John Lennon is now a household name far more so then when he was alive.

Either way, his music sucked but it was good if you are some light in the loafers sperm burper.
December 8th, 2005 07:17 AM
Mathijs Together with Keith Richards the greatest R&R writer who ever lived. Brilliant singer.

Mathijs
December 8th, 2005 07:56 AM
lotsajizz Paul is/was a better singer, and as for writer--let's start, as Lennon would, with Chuck Berry.....
December 8th, 2005 08:05 AM
Gazza Not a day or occasion for bitching and point-scoring about the man's many failings. If he's been deified by some since his death, that's their problem for their short-sightedness.

The positive far outweighs the negatives. As Keith put it "look at what the guy gave the world - and look what he got in return".
December 8th, 2005 08:12 AM
LadyJane Regardless of your personal tastes, John Lennon was a hero to many, myself included. His talent cannot be denied.

His death was the first of many senseless tragedies that struck me hard and lead me down the road of perpetual pessimism.

RIP John.

LJ.
December 8th, 2005 08:17 AM
BILL PERKS THE GUYS TALENT AND SONGS ARE AMONG THE GREATSET EVER WRITTEN..BUT THIS SAINTHOOD BULLCRAP IS RIDICULOUS..HE'S JUST A GUY WITH FAULTS LIKE THE REST OF US
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)