ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy Birthday Keef!
Header with thanks to sssoul!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Do the Stones play in lower keys nowadays? Return to archive
12th December 2007 11:43 AM
Bruno Iīve just seen a few videos from the Led gig. They played most of the song in lower keys. Good Times Bad Times was way odd.

Then I saw this guy on Youtube saying that they had to to that, Plantīs voice is not what it used to be etc and that the Stones do the same (?).

It makes me wonder. Iīve never noticed lower keys in any song from "modern" Stones concerts. Am I right?

Iīm not really sure. You guys know that better than me.
12th December 2007 11:57 AM
andrews27 Paint it Black
Ruby Tuesday
19th Nervous Breakdown
It's All Over Now
The Last Time...

[Edited by andrews27]
12th December 2007 11:58 AM
Fiji Joe Yes...no doubt
12th December 2007 11:59 AM
Jumacfly rocks off...when they don't butcher the song
12th December 2007 12:10 PM
yellerstang They play Neighbors in a lower key now.
12th December 2007 12:37 PM
Bruno Holy shit, what a lousy listener I am...

Thank you, guys.
12th December 2007 01:38 PM
andrews27 If you really want to learn key changes, listen to classical radio. Take note of what the DJ says about the key the piece is in.
[Edited by andrews27]
12th December 2007 01:40 PM
MidnightRambler
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
Paint it Black
Ruby Tuesday
19th Nervous Breakdown
It's All Over Now
The Last Time...

[Edited by andrews27]

Hmm...I don't have a guitar near me to check but to my knowledge...the Stones still keep ALL their songs in the same key they've recorded in.

All the warhorses (JJF, BS, STU, Sympathy, TD, Satisfaction) are all int he same key. The songs mentioned above like "The Last Time" and "19th Nervous" I believe are also still in the key of E--like the original records. Even "It's All Over Now" I'm fairly sure is maintained.

Some of those older recordings are hard to play along with because either the speed of the song was tampered in mixing or the Stones just didn't tune their guitars right (sometimes a wee bit too sharp or flat). I think the problem was fixed on 40 Licks.

Even songs like "Worried About You" which is a falsetto track for Mick is still in the key of C--like the album. So, if they can still keep the key of that song...then keeping original keys for songs is not a problem for Mick.

The only song that is noticeably different is IORR...on the record it's in the key of E (I suspect this was Ronnie's influence as he always has said that the chord progression of 'Satisfaction' was burned into his mind: E D A. Those are the chords on the original IORR album.) But they play IORR live in the key of B. I suppose because Keith can play more of a Chuck Berry style. Playing Chuck Berry in E...isn't as popular.
12th December 2007 01:45 PM
mrhipfl The only one I know of for sure is Happy was played one step down a few times, but usually it's still in the original "B." Whenever Mick has some trouble hitting the high notes he just sings them an octave lower or signals for one of the back-ups to sing the note for him. (see: Sway on the Austin DVD - "love is the WAY...")
12th December 2007 01:57 PM
sammy davis jr. They still play the songs in the original keys....Mick just sings an octave lower on the parts he can't hit any more, hence they sound weak and like shit.
Ex: Rocks Off
When The Whip Comes Down
Neighbors
Sway
12th December 2007 02:06 PM
pdog OMGFG!!!

Dude they play songs in dfferent tempos, different keys and replaced guitar parts with horns and pianos...

Has the denial broken? Wgt do I have a feeling this is Zep related.
12th December 2007 02:48 PM
Mel Belli Keys are all the same. Paint It Black was dropped down in '89 -- very effectively, I thought. But they've since brought it back up.

It might not be a bad idea. When Mick played CHYMK on his solo tour, they played it a step down in C. But with Stones he sang it in the original D, straining his pipes, in my opinion.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)