ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1971 Andy Warhol/Craig Braun
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gimme Shelter: "Four births, four deaths" Return to archive
December 11th, 2004 02:56 PM
Mel Belli In the beginning of the movie, we hear a radio broadcast from the day after the concert. The deejay, unsure yet of the shooting of Meredith Hunter, says there were "four births, four deaths" at Altamont.

Which "deaths" was he talking about?
December 11th, 2004 03:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
In the beginning of the movie, we hear a radio broadcast from the day after the concert. The deejay, unsure yet of the shooting of Meredith Hunter, says there were "four births, four deaths" at Altamont.

Which "deaths" was he talking about?

- Meredith Hunter
- A guy drowned on a river's channel
- Two deaths by a truck accident on the route (they were hasty)
December 14th, 2004 04:22 AM
swampff and which births?
being born at altamont...makes a good start of a song too
December 14th, 2004 08:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
swampff wrote:
and which births?
being born at altamont...makes a good start of a song too

You're killing me...
December 15th, 2004 12:11 AM
corgi37 Aint this coninsequence? I just watched the dvd commentary this week. I've had it for over a year, but just never got around to it.

Maysles was very complimentary to the Stones. In no way did he blame the band for what happened. His main "reason" for the chaos was that many of the head-honcho ANgels were at a meeting, and didnt turn up until later, or not at all. The chaos the bikers caused (according to him - and hey! he was fucking there!) was by instigated and maintained by inexperienced and drunken/drugged "pledges", who were keen to prove how tough and ruthless they were.

He told a story of what happened after the show. Mostly, every one was gone, but some stragglers remained. The Angels held a huge bonfire. Some "civillians" tried to join, and all got bashed.

He also said the Stones coming on late was nothing to do with them, but hassles beyond the bands control. The "Grateful Dead" DID NOT refuse to go on, but opted/volunteered to not play, otherwise the Stones wouldnt be going on until late morning!

It was not "Mick wanting to look cool under the lights in his shiny, satin, devilly gear" as Tony Sanchez says in his book.
December 15th, 2004 12:21 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
corgi37 wrote:

He also said the Stones coming on late was nothing to do with them, but hassles beyond the bands control. The "Grateful Dead" DID NOT refuse to go on, but opted/volunteered to not play, otherwise the Stones wouldnt be going on until late morning!

i just re-read booth's "true adventures" it being the 35th anniversary of the gig

booth (who was also there) reports that the stones originally planned to come on around 5.00 p.m. (essentially at dusk) with sunset at around 5.30
December 15th, 2004 12:42 AM
corgi37 Hey, SIA, we are on at the same time!

Maysles said with all the fights and what not, and the general chaos, the schedule was hours behind. He also mentioned troubles with the generator (not that that had anything to do with the delay, but may have contributed. Maysles says they used only 1 gen for the whole thing! Including the recording! When the lights came on, and sucked up the extra power, the sound recording came out at lower speeds! Hilarious when you think of it now!)

So, the DEAD offered not to perform. Imagine if the STones came on, say, 3 hours later!

Could have been 40 dead, instead of 4.
[Edited by corgi37]
December 15th, 2004 12:57 AM
stonedinaustralia hey corgi

thanks for that - you'd say the dvd of "shelter" is well worth it then

what else does it have that's not in the movie??

have a rockin' xmas mate!!

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
December 15th, 2004 06:49 PM
corgi37 Gimme Shelter dvd is awesome. As far as i know, its still unavailable here. Dont even bother trying to buy a import copy at those "rare dvd" shops. Mate, they are just rip-offs.

Case in point - I was very much looking forward to the 4 disc set of the classic horror "Dawn of the Dead". I rang a mob here in Melbourne. A dude on Ernie Sigley's show on 3AW every Tuesday always mentions them. Anyway, sure, they had it. $125.00!!! Fuck!!

So, i bought it from the U.S. With currency conversion, paid $49Aussie. Paid $25.00 to get it Fed Ex'd to Oz, and got it 5 days after ordering it. So, have no fear getting stuff from the states. They have a myriad of places. SOme are daunting to me, so i stick with what i know. One of the cheapest, and best for range, is dvdpacific.com. They have Gimme Shelter available, and that is where i got my copy from.

Back to the dvd:

You simply have to get it. No doubts. The Criterion edition is superb.

The print itself is amazingly clear. The sound is fantastic, though remember its 1969. It's in 5.1 and the crowd scenes are brilliant when cranked up. I had just a VHS copy, taped from t.v. back in 1983 or something. Love in Vain was just a blur of red. On dvd, its stunning!

The commentary is a bit boring, but stick with it. You will get some amazing facts from the director.

The extras are good. There is "Prodigal Son" from MSG. Plenty of stills from Altamont, the full radio program from KPSN or whatever its called, and a really neat scene of Mick, Keith and Glyn Johns mixing "Little Queenie".

There is other stuff as well.

What are you reading this for?? Go on, buy it!

You deserve it. Have a great Christmas.
December 15th, 2004 09:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Gimme Shelter dvd is awesome.

The movie is awesome!
December 15th, 2004 10:46 PM
telecaster Great insights my Aussie friends

Aussies are the greatest friends Yanks have ever had

Intelligent, great looking and fun-loving with a zest for life, Aussies rock

[Edited by telecaster]
December 15th, 2004 11:03 PM
gypsy
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Great insights my Aussie friends

Aussies are the greatest friends Yanks have ever had

Intelligent, great looking and fun-loving with a zest for life, Aussies rock

[Edited by telecaster]

Yes. They're better than those pesky Canadians.
December 15th, 2004 11:07 PM
corgi37 And we dont have mono brows like most Canadians.

And thats just the chicks!

Actually, i apologise. Canadian girls are not too bad. Many Miss Nude Canada women have been lovely.

But, 2 out of the last 3 Miss Nude World's have been Aussies!

yay!!!!!
December 15th, 2004 11:13 PM
telecaster
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
And we dont have mono brows like most Canadians.

And thats just the chicks!

Actually, i apologise. Canadian girls are not too bad. Many Miss Nude Canada women have been lovely.

But, 2 out of the last 3 Miss Nude World's have been Aussies!

yay!!!!!

corgi, gypsy was telling me earlier that Sheryl Crow
hasn't had a pedicure in two years, has fungus in her toes, a slight infection, calused heels, swamp foot, trench foot, bunions, athletes foot and several other disgusting foot ailements

Howe can this be?

BTW what time is it in Oz?
December 15th, 2004 11:25 PM
gypsy Right now it is about 1:30pm Thursday in Australia.
December 15th, 2004 11:37 PM
telecaster "The real test of friendship is: can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple?"

December 15th, 2004 11:49 PM
gypsy
quote:
telecaster wrote:
"The real test of friendship is: can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple?"

I'm leaving my boyfriend tonight. Thank you.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood