ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1971 Andy Warhol/Craig Braun
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Could Ronnie Overshadow Keith( Or Go To His Level ) Return to archive
December 9th, 2004 08:24 AM
Bruno Stone Do you really think Ronnie can overshadow Keith, if he wants to or ''being allowed'' to?

This question came to me by that Thread about Blondie... I got to thinking about it.

I may be talking shit here, but:

Take a look. In Four Flicks, during that great Ronnie's solo in CYHMK, near the end of the solo, Keith is looking at that scene (Ronnie doing a great and LOUD solo) kind of bothered (at least to me). It's like he's thinking ''O.K, Ronnie, turn down your guitar and finish this right down''.

I don't have a solid opinion about it. But i think if Ronnie' guitar was turned-up, if he concetrates on REALLY playing and, errrr, Keith allowed him to play like he wants to, we could have a fantastic guitar duo again.

What you think?

Ps: sorry if my English is bad.
December 9th, 2004 09:18 AM
nankerphelge Nice topic and I think you are right.

Granted, Keith and Ronnie are just very different in their sound and styles and roles. And in their prime, those differences made for some great music. Live, both lost a bit over the last 10 years.

But Ronnie's relative sobriety coupled with the fact that he's been playing everywhere he can over the past year puts him at pretty good form these days.

What's Keith been doing with himself lately?
My hope is he has been -- dare I say it -- practicing a bit.
Layin' off the sauce a bit wouldn't hurt either -- I know - fat chance!

However, Keith has too much power and too much ego to ever let Ronnie shine like that.

[Edited by nankerphelge]
December 9th, 2004 09:34 AM
FotiniD
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
What's Keith been doing with himself lately?
My hope is he has been -- dare I say it -- practicing a bit.
Layin' off the sauce a bit wouldn't hurt either -- I know - fat chance!

Noticing all this lack of anxiety on behalf of Keith to get the Stones rolling again, and also his famous interview quotes on the studio-side of the band, I have no idea what the hell has happened to him. He seems just... stuck! Is it age that's finally catching up with him? Or the years of drugs, drink, excess etc.?

Perhaps we're over-reacting and things are not like this, or perhaps we're not giving them enough credit -after all, they're only human too, and they deserve even long times of rest.

But it still seems very strange that Keith is not the first to up and "push" for new material or touring and that even when they do tour, he seems pretty often to be over-indulging to himself in regards to his playing.
December 9th, 2004 09:42 AM
nankerphelge That's a really good point too -- historically Keith has always fancied himself the one to prod the band along -- to keep them "fit" -- but we sure haven't heard much of that over the past year.

December 9th, 2004 10:02 AM
FotiniD
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
historically Keith has always fancied himself the one to prod the band along -- to keep them "fit" -- but we sure haven't heard much of that over the past year.

Exactly. It seems like Keith is the one in need of prompting now. And who will do that? And why on earth did this happen?!

I can't imagine his love for music lessening. Might be somewhat of an idealistic way to think of things, but I just can't.
December 9th, 2004 10:08 AM
jb Keith declined almost immediately after Taylor left the band and really has not played marginally well since 94. Ronnie has been plain awful post 78...this concept that somehow he was better last tour b/c he was sober is pure bullshit....listen to any of his pitiful solos from CYHMK,HOF,or YCAGWYW and realize this is not a man equpped to be playing even in a highschool garage band....Keith, gets the pass b/c of his legend, and at times, still brilliant notes, but lets not kid ourselves, it MJ and Chuck Levell that produce that noise they call music....
[Edited by jb]
December 9th, 2004 10:18 AM
Mel Belli Keith and Ronnie could both do themselves a world of good if they used an effects pedal or two, like every other rock guitarist on the planet. They cover up a multitude of mistakes.
December 9th, 2004 10:52 AM
F505
quote:
jb wrote:
Keith declined almost immediately after Taylor left the band and really has not played marginally well since 94. Ronnie has been plain awful post 78...this concept that somehow he was better last tour b/c he was sober is pure bullshit....listen to any of his pitiful solos from CYHMK,HOF,or YCAGWYW and realize this is not a man equpped to be playing even in a highschool garage band....Keith, gets the pass b/c of his legend, and at times, still brilliant notes, but lets not kid ourselves, it MJ and Chuck Levell that produce that noise they call music....
[Edited by jb]

Brilliantly spoken except for the last sentence. I think Mick is the man who keeps the Stones alive on stage nowadays...
December 9th, 2004 10:53 AM
Moonisup in 1978 Ronnie really could, just listen to handsome girls, after 1985, it ain't possible
December 9th, 2004 06:12 PM
egon muppy....,

where is SSC these days?
December 9th, 2004 09:04 PM
Soldatti
quote:
F505 wrote:
Brilliantly spoken except for the last sentence. I think Mick is the man who keeps the Stones alive on stage nowadays...

It's true in part but Mick alone not is enough, he needs Keith there.
December 10th, 2004 07:21 AM
Bruno Stone
quote:
F505 wrote:

I think Mick is the man who keeps the Stones alive on stage nowadays...

Agreed. That's why my respect for Mick grows up on and ond and on over the days, this guy still carry the show. He gets better and better and Keith and Ronnie, unfortunatelly...

Charlie still do it too.
December 10th, 2004 08:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
Agreed. That's why my respect for Mick grows up on and ond and on over the days, this guy still carry the show. He gets better and better and Keith and Ronnie, unfortunatelly...

Charlie still do it too.

It's true, but I'm still waiting for some "extra" effort from Keith.
December 11th, 2004 02:12 PM
rocker Keith needs to do five things:

1. Quit posing and play. His gestures really look stupid, and get in the way.

2. Quit dressing like an idiot. im sick of seeing those stupid boots, and if his hair is messy let it be because he doesnt comb it, and not because he, or a hair stylist, intentionally messes it, and then puts fish hooks in it.

3. quite plucking those horrendous simultaneous two string notes all the time. For example, the little twang at the end of the intro on Rocks Off, right before jagger sings the first words, on Four Flicks sounds shitty.

4. get some grit back in the guitar sound, like the tours from 81 down and previous.

5. act his age
December 11th, 2004 02:49 PM
Bruno Stone
quote:
rocker wrote:
Keith needs to do five things:

1. Quit posing and play. His gestures really look stupid, and get in the way.

2. Quit dressing like an idiot. im sick of seeing those stupid boots, and if his hair is messy let it be because he doesnt comb it, and not because he, or a hair stylist, intentionally messes it, and then puts fish hooks in it.

3. quite plucking those horrendous simultaneous two string notes all the time. For example, the little twang at the end of the intro on Rocks Off, right before jagger sings the first words, on Four Flicks sounds shitty.

4. get some grit back in the guitar sound, like the tours from 81 down and previous.

5. act his age

I simply agree with you in everything.
1. Keith is posing more than playing.
2. I think his hair is terrible nowadays. It has nothing to do with his playing, but it`s fucking ugly that hair...
3. Yeah, those simultaneous two strings notes is flat a lot, look at him doing it in Let It Bleed from MSG, flat, flat, flat...
4. The sound of his guitar seems to me very weak, it`s too ``thin``...
5. Nothing to talk about it.

6. He got to fix his fingers!
7. He got to turn-up his guitar in the mix.
8. He got to allow Ronnie to turn-up his guitar.
9. He got to stop doing those guitar pauses during the songs.
10.He got to stop laying in the legend of the RiffMaster and BE the RiffMaster again.

11. He got to stop playing Happy, i can`t stand anymore...
December 11th, 2004 02:51 PM
J.J.Flash Keith just need a leather jacket and a bottle of good ol' Jack Daniels, the old nș 07
December 11th, 2004 03:10 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bruno Stone wrote:
I simply agree with you in everything.
1. Keith is posing more than playing.
2. I think his hair is terrible nowadays. It has nothing to do with his playing, but it`s fucking ugly that hair...
3. Yeah, those simultaneous two strings notes is flat a lot, look at him doing it in Let It Bleed from MSG, flat, flat, flat...
4. The sound of his guitar seems to me very weak, it`s too ``thin``...
5. Nothing to talk about it.

6. He got to fix his fingers!
7. He got to turn-up his guitar in the mix.
8. He got to allow Ronnie to turn-up his guitar.
9. He got to stop doing those guitar pauses during the songs.
10.He got to stop laying in the legend of the RiffMaster and BE the RiffMaster again.

11. He got to stop playing Happy, i can`t stand anymore...

Ok, but we are in 2004 not in 1981.
I agree with the clothes & hair part, that can be a GREAT change and is easy to do.
December 11th, 2004 03:47 PM
padre Keef has become the same as his idol. Chuck Berry's live playing has always been second to his posing and showing off. Now ol' Keef just follows his footsteps.
December 11th, 2004 05:53 PM
John Wood Keith's tone sucks and his playing sounds like a drunk alot of the time. Quit posing and think about playing! Yes I think if Keith let Ronnie to be louder in the mix and let him play the way he could it would be an improvement in the Stones sound and might even MAKE Keith play better. I know both Keith and Ronnie can play great just let the Stones be a guitar band again and don't worry if they make mistakes!! Just Rock'n Roll!!!!
December 11th, 2004 06:41 PM
gotdablouse There's like zero chance of that happening, unless they give up the "maximization of profit" as Gazza rightly put it the other day and decide they care about the music again before they er... kick the bucket.

They can't play stadiums on the strength of Keith's and Ron's guitars anymore, even '81 when Keith still "pumped" the chords was pushing it, nice for the fans but not exactly pleasing to a casual listener and they couldn't get away with it in 2005.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
December 13th, 2004 05:28 PM
Scottfree Great honest topic, and most of the observations have been right on. In recent history there is an ocassional gem that is played well 97-Sister Morphine, maybe it just fits their current style. But their guitars have detoriated so much that it's hard to promote the Stones to gen Y or other asspiring guitarists, and that is just frustrating....
December 13th, 2004 11:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
They can't play stadiums on the strength of Keith's and Ron's guitars anymore, even '81 when Keith still "pumped" the chords was pushing it, nice for the fans but not exactly pleasing to a casual listener and they couldn't get away with it in 2005.

100% true
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood