ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keef's teef, discuss! Return to archive
12-09-03 04:11 PM
scratched The header pic has just reminded me of Keith's legendary teeth!

I've noticed that you can almost date a picture of the Stones/Keith by the state of Keith's dentures. Just to make sure, when would you say that they started to go downhill? When did he start to lose them? When did he have a brand spanking new set put in? Does he still have this same set now?
12-09-03 05:01 PM
KeithRichards210 His teeth started looking bad in mid-1969, and he had them replaced in November 1974. Judging by how worn his dentures look, I'd be willing to bet that those are the originals..
12-09-03 06:19 PM
SHINE A LIGHT not really correct,keith's teeth were already "going" by 1967 ( see photos of redlands bust,'67). AND, those are not "dentures",they are caps! i think they are beautiful,however i did prefer the previous look.

does anyone recall keith's statement about his teeth, circa mid-'74??
[Edited by SHINE A LIGHT]
12-09-03 06:41 PM
KeithRichards210 Hmmm..I've seen pics from '68 where the teeth didn't look so bad at all. I'm sure they were starting to rot earlier, I just never noticed until the '69 pics. The one tooth on his upper right was about half gone by then. (of course it appears on the left in pictures) Oh well...what do I know? I'm not Keef's dentist..
12-09-03 06:51 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i have pics all over the house of him, in varying stages of tooth decay. remember, we must be fair...keith grew up in wartime, there were rations on food....a "common" meal would have been to smother a slice of bread with treacle. not exactly great for the teeth, but at least it filled the stomach. his father, bert, even tried to "steal" tea and sugar for the household after he returned from the war. hard times, i'd say.
12-09-03 06:56 PM
glencar I was just thinking about dentures after seeing a Polident ad on TV. People don't need dentures like they used to. Teeth are given much better care these days.
12-09-03 09:34 PM
corgi37 Didnt keith say "I'm going to change my image, i'm getting my teeth fixed". His fangs were well and truly fucked in the IORR clip, and that as 74. Did he have nice fangs for the 75 tour?
12-09-03 10:11 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Didnt keith say "I'm going to change my image, i'm getting my teeth fixed". His fangs were well and truly fucked in the IORR clip, and that as 74. Did he have nice fangs for the 75 tour?

Yes he did. Keef looked great on that tour!
12-09-03 10:21 PM
Steel Wheels Only on the Rocks Off board can we discuss capped toofs to such a degree.

Keep on rockin!
(and brushin'!)
12-10-03 04:04 AM
Mathijs Shine a Light, the reason Keith's teeth were rotting wasn't really an upbringing in a poor envirement. One of the effects of LSD and amphetamines is that it dissolves the tooth enamel, therefore making big holes in you teeth.....

Mathijs
12-10-03 08:48 AM
SHINE A LIGHT oh yeah, i know about the effects of the drugs,but i was trying to give the kinder answer.
regarding the quote....keith told the band that he's gonna change his "image"....everyone was thinking/hoping about an end to all the drugs. however, keith replied "i'm getting me tooth fixed"!!!!!
12-10-03 09:02 AM
prism Keith didn't favor amphetamines. It was the heroin that rotted his and Anita's teeth. They both had dental work done in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
12-10-03 12:06 PM
Monkey Woman Whatever the direct effect of drugs, I think Keef simply didn't care about his teeth for years. Even without drugs, some people have difficulty with their teeth, due to bad luck in the genetic lottery. (My mother lost half hers before the age of 30.) But if you don't go to the dentist to get the little problems fixed, it gets worse. And it's obvious that someone obsessed with a heavy addictive drug like heroin is not caring much about health... I read an interview once where Keith said that during his heroin years, he went for "the whole anti-gig", wanting to feel and look like an outlaw, and that the rotten teeth were part of it.
12-10-03 03:52 PM
Navin October 15, 1974
Keith : "I'm terrified of dentists. You've only got to 'ave one broken tooth for every one to think you're a villian-but I'll surprise you all next year, I promise you. I'm just waiting for this new technique to come out-there was a point where I could groove on it but-ah-last month another chunk fell off and since then it's fallen out of favour with me."
From Keith Richards by Victor Bockris

(Think there is also a reference to him having lost his teeth in a fight in Bill Wyman's Rolling with the Stones)
12-10-03 04:31 PM
cwatts0462 It had to be after 80 cause in the worried about you video
keiths teeth look awful,just like they did in the iorr video
12-10-03 04:42 PM
glencar It was after he met Patti.
12-10-03 07:46 PM
SHINE A LIGHT yeah, i was at the oshawa, canada concert in 1979...took some good pics, and it seems that keef still had many problems at the time. notice how "delicately" worded that was??
i recall being very afraid for keith at that concert, healthwise. sure glad things changed.
12-10-03 08:47 PM
stonedinaustralia i alaso recall a comment keith made after the reconstruction saying that his teeth grew back therough "prayer and abstinence"
12-11-03 10:55 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Okay. Keith's hair has been discussed. His fingers have been discussed. Now his teeth have been discussed. What's next? I think his big ears have been discussed. Mick's endowment has been discussed. Charlie's nostrils have been discussed. Have I missed anything? What other Stones body parts can be discussed?
12-11-03 11:09 AM
scratched Charlie's nostrils?! Damn, I can't believe I missed that one! Gonna do a search!
12-11-03 11:51 AM
SHINE A LIGHT mick's endowment?????well, please help me...i missed all that,pun intended!!
12-11-03 11:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
mick's endowment?????well, please help me...i missed all that,pun intended!!

You'll have to go back and review the "super bowl/blow threads
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
12-11-03 12:27 PM
Monkey Woman We even discussed Ronnie's liver.
12-11-03 12:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
We even discussed Ronnie's liver.

We did? LOL. Ronnie has a liver? Ah who needs one, except that it does help me process my beer.
12-11-03 01:02 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Ah who needs one, except that it does help me process my beer.

LOL! That's why Ronnie needed it so much!
12-11-03 01:34 PM
SHINE A LIGHT ok, people bear with me....i'm a woman and i certainly know about mick's conquests! AND, i do watch videos CLOSELY, to make sure i understand it all, of course. now, in "video rewind" when mick is parading around in that blue jumpsuit, he does appear to be a tad, well....BIG !! but i need all the facts here. i'd better go check that thread someone talked about.
i can't think....gotta go 'ave a look.