ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith depresses me Return to archive
12-08-03 06:19 PM
Steel Wheels I can't beleive that Keith said what he did regarding the future of the band.

I want me stuff, not an oldies band!
12-08-03 06:40 PM
gotdablouse ouch, got a link?
I guess he might be drawing the conclusions of his total lack of inspiration since 1997...or maybe got depressed after listening to EWG and Well, Well on FF !
12-08-03 07:14 PM
SHINE A LIGHT could you explain yourself, please? why is keith so depressing to you? what has he said/done/implied now? sorry, but i'm very confused. enlighten me. thanks.

are you heading up to toronto for the big keith birthday party bash??? might help lighten your mood!!
12-08-03 07:24 PM
Steel Wheels That magazine article, the Uncut one, in which Keef doesn't know what's going to happen with the band. He talked about all this great material they recorded last year...how it was the best. Well 4 Flicks comes out and it's great loose jam stuff, but no lyrics!

I don't want them to end up on the road with no new material. It's been years since I've sat down with a new Stones record. I want new stuff!

God damn!
12-08-03 07:29 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i went shopping today for the new "uncut" and it's not available here until maybe next week.
perhaps i'll end up depressed as well??
12-08-03 09:57 PM
sammy davis jr. Don't be depressed- face it, the Stones ARE AN OLDIES BAND...If they really wanted to put out new material they really believed in, they would have by now. I also think the lukewarm sales of the last 2 records might have something to do with it as well. No one really cares about the Rolling Stones anymore, at least in the record buying public. To be honest, they haven't written anything in ten years that has moved me at all. The last good Stones record was Keith's first solo record, and that was 15 YERARS AGO. Why hassle when you can go out on the road and make 400 mil. playing oldies.
12-08-03 09:58 PM
Steel Wheels Yeah, I've been bummed out all day. That quote doesn't even sound like Keef...maybe it's a hoax.
12-08-03 10:10 PM
Soldatti Stones' albums are selling well. "Voodoo..." shipped 8 millions copies worldwide and "Bridges..." 5 millions. If a band with this numbers didn't release a studio album on 7 years (yes 7 years!!) I don't understand nothing.
How many artist have released unreleased songs? And the Stones?. For godsake. What happened with the Memory Hotel album?. How many years we need for get a box set of inedits?
41 years on the road and nothing yet?

What did Keith on this 7 years?. Only "Losing My Touch"?.1 song on 7 years?. And if he recorded that solo album on his house (I read it...), what happened with the stuff?

I'm tired of listen the same records again and again. The new album is the #1 PRIORITY. Not will be another tour without a new album (or at least something unreleased). No way...

[Edited by Soldatti]
[Edited by Soldatti]
12-08-03 11:08 PM
Some Guy Must have a new classic Album. I need something to be proud of. The current sountrack( to my life) is getting stale. I want an album that matters, bigger than disco! If you got some unreleashed shit that is great, bust it out bitch, cause I deserve it. Been a fan for too damn long to go out like this. Help a brother out and bring back Rock and Roll, cause only the Stones could do it.
12-08-03 11:10 PM
LadyJane Have faith!

They won't disappoint us!

LJ.
12-09-03 03:48 AM
glencar I'm disappointed already. 7 years & we've gotten 4 songs. I'm ready to jump to the White Stripes!
12-09-03 08:37 AM
gotdablouse Well I'not depressed, but I'm not going to be paying again to see them live without any new material, mark my words!

Problem is that most people who go to shows couldn't care less about the band or their music, it's just something people do for all kinds of reasons. Mick and Keith probably know that, but they'll take the money while it comes. Probably also figured out that Chuckster's vomit inducing plink-plonking on such classics as JJF keeps the ignorants coming back too. Sad old bastards.

Keith can bitch all he wants about Mick's knighthood but he should put his money where his mouth is and whip up some new material ASAP!
12-09-03 09:50 AM
FotiniD If Keith had made that statement and I had read it, say, a year ago, I'd be as depressed as most of you guys.

BUT, it suddenly dawned at me this year (don't know why or how) that these guys can play SO great live, and it's so nice to still have them here like that after 40 years, that do we REALLY need new material? I'm not saying they should be an oldies act - ok, practically they will be playing oldies, but hey, to nearly quote Keith, why doesn't anyone call classic bluesmen an "oldies act"?

The Stones have a catalogue that allows them to play with hundreds of different setlists anytime they want to - why bother writing new stuff, especially if they can't be compared with their earlier work? Why all this hunger about new songs and new albums? Just cause they have to produce new material? I say we should give them a break. Let them bring out a new album, if they decide to do it and when it really is good, not just because "it's been five years" and so on.

And gotdablouse, I'll be paying to see them as long as they keep playing REALLY good. And whether they play "Street Fighting Man" or "Out of Control", it's ok with me - as long as it's good.
12-09-03 10:49 AM
glencar Because the new stuff keeps the real fans still interested. I believe Mick has said they won't tour again w/o new material.
12-09-03 11:08 AM
SHINE A LIGHT hold on...I"M a REAL FAN, and i constantly return to "exile".
12-09-03 11:10 AM
glencar I'm talking about palying the new stuff when they tour.
12-09-03 11:11 AM
glencar I'm trying to be nice to you but it's hard when I see a tongue sticking out at me.
12-09-03 12:57 PM
quackenbush Haven't the Stones said that they are working on an album? The four tracks on Forty Licks are the precursor to the new album. Nobody has said that they are finished as a recording band. They will release a new studio album by the end of 2004. That is my prediction.
12-09-03 05:04 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
glencar wrote:
Because the new stuff keeps the real fans still interested. I believe Mick has said they won't tour again w/o new material.

Source?

He did say that in a Rolling Stone interview but that was in the late 80s...he's eaten his words since.
12-10-03 05:11 PM
Some Guy Is there a shitload of unreleased material that is killer? Whats the deal with the vaults? Enlightenment please!