ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Storm Thorgerson
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cartoons act like cocaine (NSC) Return to archive
12-08-03 01:29 PM
Monkey Woman Science said so...

Cartoons act like cocaine
Date: December 5 2003

By Roger Highfield in London

A search for the mind's "funny bone" has shed new light on the mysteries of merriment, revealing that the reason humour is addictive is that it activates "reward centres" in the brain.

This work, and further studies to come, would clarify why men and women had different styles of humour and shed light on why some people were giggly and others grumpy, said Allan Reiss of Stanford University.

Sophisticated brain imaging techniques were used to look at activity in specific brain regions when Dr Reiss and colleagues presented people with cartoons considered funny or unfunny.

The results, published in the journal Neuron, show that, in addition to activating areas associated with the perception and production of language, humour activates a network of brain structures associated with known reward systems.

Amusing cartoons activated a region of the brain, called the nucleus accumbens, that has previously been linked with happiness and with cocaine- and amphetamine-induced euphoria.

The reward network is "a very powerful brain subsystem, if you will, underlying motivated behaviour. It will be fascinating to see if persons whom others might consider 'humourless' lack this component of their humour appreciation network," Dr Reiss said.

This new information will shed light on social behaviour. "One's sense of humour often dictates if, how, and with whom we establish friendships and even long-lasting romantic relationships. Humour also is a universal coping mechanism when faced with all varieties of stress," Dr Reiss said.

The Telegraph, London

12-08-03 01:31 PM
glencar My brain hurts...
12-08-03 01:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Cartoons? I always liked The Far Side. I wish that guy hadn't quit.
12-08-03 01:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 1. The Far Side
2. Blondie
3. Opus (man...I miss Opus) He quit too, Berk Breathed or something like that.
4. Shoe, co-starring Uncle Cosmo
5. Zap Comix
12-08-03 01:52 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
My brain hurts...

That's why it needs cocaine -- oops, humor!
12-08-03 02:20 PM
glencar I tried cocaine once...well, one weekend. Loved it too much & was lucky enough not to be able to afford it at the time. I could see getting addicted to that stuff!
12-08-03 02:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
I tried cocaine once...well, one weekend. Loved it too much & was lucky enough not to be able to afford it at the time. I could see getting addicted to that stuff!

LOL. Cmon, it's just like anything else. ALL things in moderation.
12-08-03 02:29 PM
glencar LOL I can do most things in moderation but I'm not sure about snow, baby.
12-08-03 02:31 PM
nankerphelge Nothing beat classic Looney Tunes
Close seconds:

Bullwinkle
Brak
Promethues & Bob (actually claymation)
12-08-03 02:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Nothing beat classic Looney Tunes

Animated cartoons. I was thinking about newsprint. But you're absolutely right. Those guys were fucked. Chuck Jones, Mel Blanc and them...Warner Bros just released a DVD of some of those. Bugs Bunny belongs on the top of ALL lists....the epitome of Kool.
12-08-03 02:46 PM
glencar That one on FOX on Sundays is cool.
12-08-03 11:37 PM
Stonesthrow Bugs is the best. Honorable mention to those how-to cartoons starring Goofy and to Rocky & Bullwinkle.
12-09-03 12:35 AM
MarthaMyDear YES, BUGS BUNNY IS THE MOST EXCELLENT CARTOON EVER!!!!!!!!
lol........ ESPECIALLY with Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd!!! HE!!!
HE!!! MY MOMMA DONE TOLD ME!!! lol............................
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;D
Yah-tah-tee-yah-tah-tah!!! lol........... Ok.... Maybe I'm
having a cocain flashback, or something... lol.............
Those cartoons are the absolute BEST, IMHO!!!!!! Thanks for
the article, MW!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***

P.S. (I agree with Stonesthrow on the other ones, also!!! CHEERS!!! )
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
12-09-03 04:14 AM
MarthaMyDear Test... ROTFLOL!!!!!!! SORRY!!! lol......... Browser doing
weird shit, I think!!! lol......... Sorry... LOL!!!!!!

*** Martha ***
12-09-03 04:16 AM
glencar Mine's fine.
12-09-03 04:24 AM
MarthaMyDear Obviously... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P lol.....

*** Martha ***
12-09-03 12:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Stonesthrow wrote:
Bugs is the best.

Henrey Hawk....the chickenhawk. Gonna get him a chicken.
12-09-03 12:07 PM
scratched Top Cat is the daddy of all cartoons!
12-09-03 12:11 PM
Pattie
Homer Simpson!

12-09-03 12:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah. Let's see. hmmn Benny, Choo Choo, ...well I used to be able to name em all.
12-09-03 02:26 PM
nankerphelge I forgot to mention the Pink Panther -- some of the best sound effects ever!
12-09-03 02:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah Actually Beavis & Butthead had pretty good sound effects. They were always a bit too crude for my more refined tastes but...they made me laugh.
12-09-03 02:46 PM
nankerphelge I liked B&B too -- some of it was clever!
12-09-03 07:11 PM
glencar "I need TP for my bunghole!"
12-11-03 12:53 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Todays Blondie was classic.
12-11-03 12:58 PM
Boomy Some guy at a telemarketing firm: "Alright boys, now get cracking!"

Butthead:"Uh huh huh, you said 'crack'."

Beavis: "Yeah, yeah, heh heh heh!"

12-11-03 05:07 PM
Dan Tex Avery
Tom & Jerry
Beavis & Butthead
Simpsons
most older Looney Toons
12-13-03 03:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Some real great animation was that Gromit & Wallace. Really whacked out shit.