ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: no. of concerts per country Return to archive
12-11-02 02:48 PM
egon Why is it that the stones will only do 1 concert in
Italy, Denmark, Greece and Belgium, and one of the
smallest countries In Europe (Holland) gets 5?
(Norway isn�t even on the list.)

Is it because of the difference in popularity in each country, Or merely out of strategical point of view?

And what about Russia, I heard they were going there to?
12-11-02 02:52 PM
Moonisup China - 0

Holland - 6
12-11-02 03:03 PM
jb The Dutch and Germans are absolutely Stone crazy..they deserve a lot of shows as the demand is high. In the States, demand only high in New York, Chicago and San Fran.. Most markets only got one none-sellout show. The worst markets were Miami, Cleveland, Washington, Tacoma, Nashville, San Antonio, Detroit, Philadelphia, and oakland.
12-11-02 03:09 PM
Moonisup that is half the UStour
12-11-02 03:12 PM
jb Yes Moon...Sadly, this was not one of the most attrended Stones tour in the States...remember, they have been touring steadily since 94,ticket prices very high, press hates them, and Macca and Springsteen were big competion...
12-11-02 03:18 PM
Moonisup europe will cover it up I hope, I was surprised that the tix selled fast at 116 $
12-11-02 03:22 PM
sonicrock 123 FOR BERCY
12-11-02 03:23 PM
jb We lost to Macca and Springsteen....Stonesdoug told me that Cohl may make an announcement that the tour, along with merchandise, was th emost lucrative ever...but i have my doubts...I think they averaged about 15,000 a show..Springsteen had the largest audience with an average of 16,500 according to Variety...Europe should help...
12-11-02 03:25 PM
erikjjf Springsteen had a stage setup that made it possible to have seats all around it. Just like the No Security stage.
That adds maybe 2-3000 seats in the arenas. And Springsteen didn't play any US stadiums.
12-11-02 03:37 PM
jb True..and his tickets all wer 73.50....I know the Stones outgrossed him..I am not quite as confident regarding Macca...but since they played to roughtly the same size audiences, and the Stones charged more, they should have.
12-11-02 04:09 PM
Moonisup bruce in holland: kuip 1 time
robbie williams - 2 arena

stones - 2 kuip - 2 arena
12-11-02 04:13 PM
jb Remember in 94 moon..you were 14 yers old and the Stones played 6 stadium sell-outs..those were the days!
12-11-02 04:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man I think it all depends on ticket sales. I would of thought places like Spain and Italy will get another show if they sell well.

jb is right when he states that places like Germany and Holland love the Stones. They do and thats why they are getting more shows. BTW, anyone going to the Munich June 4th Show? Im going to be there too!

I hope we in England get another couple of shows. I reckon we will get another Twikenham. Maybe another Wembley too

Ohhh, its all so exciting. Just 6 months to Europeon kick off!

Alex
12-11-02 04:24 PM
Moonisup 1998, 15 years

6 sell out including 86,000 in the hague

1995 7 shows, 2 paradiso, 2 rotterdam, 2 nijmegen, 1 landgraaf
12-11-02 04:42 PM
Gazza >Why is it that the stones will only do 1 concert in
Italy, Denmark, Greece and Belgium, and one of the
smallest countries In Europe (Holland) gets 5?
(Norway isn�t even on the list.)
Is it because of the difference in popularity in each country, Or merely out of strategical point of view?

probably a bit of both. in Holland theyre popular enough to do the stadium/arena/club show in at least a couple of cities. Also, Belgium isn't too far from Holland. Both are small countries..Germany is also very close, so its a huge catchment area for concerts. In 1995 if you lived in Holland or North west of Germany, you could easily have seen about 12 concerts on that tour within a 200 mile radius

Denmark is much smaller than Norway,Sweden and (I think) Finland population-wise. Being the main Scandinavian market, Sweden is the most likely of them all to get the three show set-up. Surprised theres nothing for Norway as yet as the Stones have always done well there - and now it seems likely they'll play a second show in Finland too.

Italy is a strange phenomenon concert-wise. Huge country but always seems to be problems either arranging concerts (in 1982 some shows were cancelled because local councils - eg Milan - REFUSED to allow the Stones play their city) and selling tickets (a 2nd show in Turin was cancelled in 1990 due to poor ticket sales - that said,it was the same month as the World Cup which was being held in Italy). they cancelled in Italy in 1998 due to illness and it wasnt rearranged but I'm not sure how the tickets were selling.

>And what about Russia, I heard they were going there to?

Those shows are always up in the air. They played Moscow in 1998 - it got a huge deal of press, but the concert was far from sold out. Ticket prices were way out of the range of most Muscovites. They were also supposed to play Moscow in 1990 but it didnt happen, and of course theyve been trying to play China for about the last 20 years too....that one still may happen though

12-11-02 04:52 PM
Moonisup norway did not sell out in 1998, that could be reason
12-11-02 04:54 PM
Moonisup no italy show in 1998 and only 1 france show and 6 dutch, holland is indeed a good market
12-11-02 04:59 PM
Fiji Joe Pipe down, you could live in Argentina...Mo Stones for those guys...worse, you could live in a fancy town home in Baghdad
12-11-02 05:03 PM
Moonisup fiji joe

i am lucky I know,

I will get lucky in 12 hours, i know

we are all fans, i know
12-11-02 05:34 PM
RubyFriday This tour we have in germany a total of 480 000 tickets at 9 concerts(last tour 580 000).But half of Amsterdam concerts and Prague will be germans ,too.Italy has mostly poor sales that�s why they don�t get many concerts.
12-13-02 10:22 AM
Madafaka I totally agree Fiji Joe. I live in Argentina and my sadness is infinite! All of you are lucky guys, think that every time when you can go to a RS concert.

In 1995 they played here 5 times in the River Plate Stadium (55.000 capacity) and tickets were sold out. The same thing was in 1998... Do you know why? Because RS wait 33 years to play in Buenos Aires and 3 generations was so excited to heard them live. In the concert you could see boys with his grandfathers. It was amazing and never seen here. For all of you, is very common see them on stage.
Do you realise why i think that you are lucky guys?

Good concerts boys! I'll be waiting the bootlegs

Byez

Max
12-13-02 10:35 AM
jb We all are very sad for you and Gerardo about the Argentina shows, or lack thereof.
12-13-02 04:49 PM
Moonisup
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:
But half of Amsterdam concerts and Prague will be germans ,too.

I hope you are kidding, there won't be 22.000 germans in amsterdam, that ain't true, maybe 1000 ore 2000
12-13-02 05:18 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

I hope you are kidding, there won't be 22.000 germans in amsterdam, that ain't true, maybe 1000 ore 2000

none I hope...or I'll ask my bicycle back