ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Faithfull's Still Got It Return to archive
12-09-02 07:51 PM
Jaxx Not to worry, Faithfull's Still Got It

Concert review: Marianne Faithfull and Christy McWilson, Friday night at the King Cat Theater, Seattle

By Patrick MacDonald
Seattle Times music critic

Don't cry for Marianne Faithfull.

Judging from her show Friday night at the King Cat, rock's most famous female trainwreck is in fine shape as she faces her 56th birthday later this month. Her addictions, arrests, illnesses, divorces and dalliances with pop stars (most notably Mick Jagger, who wrote "As Tears Go By," her 1964 smash) are behind her and she now is an inspiration, still rocking hard and having fun with it.

Backed by her talented four-piece band, she made references in several songs to her colorful, wayward past. The wry, often bittersweet tunes made dramatic use of one of the remnants of those wild days, a cracked, sandpapery voice. It lent a world-weary edge to almost everything she did. (One of the reasons for that scratchy voice became apparent when she lit up a cigarette in the middle of the set.)

An air of decadence pervaded the show, not only because of her past, and that cabaret/dive voice, but also the several songs that made crude references to sex. The dirtiest was a new one called "Sliding Through Life on Charm" written by Jarvis Cocker of Pulp.

She featured several other songs from her new album, "Kissin Time," including the rocking "I'm On Fire," written for her by Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins fame; "Like Being Born," a song about her relationship with her parents, co-written with Beck; and "Song for Nico," her tribute to another wild '60s icon, who unfortunately was not a survivor.

"I've no regrets," Faithfull sang in the song "Kissin Time," "I've got no tears to cry."

Other highlights included her 1979 comeback hit, "Broken English," a heartfelt version of John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" and a bracing "Why d'Ya Do It?," a bruising song about infidelity.

Faithfull seemed genuinely moved by the crowd's warmth and enthusiasm. She said she was tired after doing more than 75 shows on her current tour but then seemed to draw energy from the fans.

"I had a wonderful life," she assured them, "and I'm having a wonderful life."

The show was opened by Christy McWilson, the talented singer-songwriter known for her years with one of Seattle's most beloved bands, The Picketts. Accompanying herself on guitar and backed by her husband, Scott McCaughey, of The Young Fresh Fellows and R.E.M., on guitar and harmonica, she sang her songs and covers in a pure, twangy voice that was a joy to hear.
12-09-02 08:11 PM
sasca A Pulp display was once removed because Jarvis Cocker's name was considered offensive. Something like that.
12-10-02 12:11 PM
Martini I saw the current tour as well, and she put on a great show. She was very animated, pleasant, and sang the tunes passionately. It was definitely worth the ticket price. I must say that I have a lot of respect for her abilities as a performer.

I have an audience recording of the show from Portland on Dec 5, if anyone else here collects/trades her music.

Martini

12-10-02 01:09 PM
steel driving hammer She's still got the boobs, but thats it!

12-10-02 02:27 PM
Maxlugar Faithfull?!

Fuck that!

I'm talkin' 'bout Faith Hill!

Sweet baby Jesus is she pretty!

"Dip me in southern fried beer batter and slather my gonads until I cry, Ronnie!"
12-10-02 02:51 PM
Mother baby
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
She's still got the boobs, but thats it!

Yeah you gotta admit that Mick's babes age with class,
but Mick still gets..... well.... the babes that WILL age with class at some future date in the future.
12-12-02 07:31 AM
corgi37 What a small world it is. Maryanne Faithfull tours Australia about 2 weeks before the Stones arrive. I wonder if she'll hang around and share a mars bar....no, sorry. As for Faith Hill, she is indeed a honey bee. What the fuck is she doing with that stetson wearing jerk? She is certainly a fine enough bitch for corgi boy. And, she has damn perty feet too. The minute she dumps him, ditches her career, moved in with me (my wife will understand), shaves her snatch and pierces her clit, the better the world will be.
12-12-02 07:35 AM
Maxlugar Corgi!

LOL!!!

Simply beautiful!