ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: altamont country club...warning - this post is questionable taste... Return to archive
12-08-02 11:25 PM
stonedinaustralia ...'tho i make no apologies for that

anyway, after having seen that jagger doco last night and the recent footage of the altamont site and it's rather bleak and barren landscape it occurred to me the local authorties could perhaps look at redeveloping it as an up-market tourist attraction/theme park/country club

they could build a golf course with the 18th fairway running down the hill to a green located on the spot where the stage was set... they could then build a commemorative bunker on the spot where meredith got "downed" (i.e. right in front of the green) in the same configuration as an unfilled grave - that is about 8'x 4' and 6 foot deep...the ground-staff could dress in uniforms suggestive of the angels get-up i.e. denims and black leather jacket with cut off denim jacket over the top and the golf carts could be three wheeled affairs with handle bars instead of a steering wheel and the front wheel extended "chopper" style

they could also, perhaps, develop their own version of "golf" - where, instead of using golf sticks, you have to whack the ball with a sawn off pool cue...

after your round you then repair to the club house where they could serve a special "altamont highball" - being the drink of your choice laced with bad acid...

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
12-09-02 03:26 PM
Hand O Fate Wow. That was incredibly unfunny. It saddens me that anyone can lack humor completely. Please, before you post again, have someone else proofread it first and see if they chuckle even slightly. Thank you.
12-09-02 03:40 PM
steel driving hammer It wasnt enough!

The more the better, folks humor is the key to the highway.

Ask Keith...
12-09-02 04:00 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx steelie - there you have it hand of fate - it's all down to personal taste - and i warned you the post was in questionable taste

anyway, a great deal of humour is based on somebody else's misfortune

lighten up man...don't take things so seriously
12-09-02 04:10 PM
ChrisEditor Well, if you are going to post it, then you should be ready to deal with the reviews...And I'm along the lines of: That was incredibly not funny...I wish I could have back those seconds I took reading it and writing this response.
12-09-02 04:16 PM
stonedinaustralia i'm cool with that chrised. - at base 'tho, i don't write for other people - but for myself (and i am my own harshest critic)- if others like it well that's great...if not, well, it really doesn't bother me - 'tho apologies for upsetting your delicate sensibilities...
12-09-02 05:31 PM
ChrisEditor My sensibilities thank you. Delicately.
12-09-02 06:21 PM
Stonesthrow Have either HOF or ChrisED ever heard of black humor? Lighten up. There is too much pc around already.

12-09-02 06:31 PM
Nasty Habits Personally I don't think there was near enough Altamont memorializing on the board last week - if there's ever a time for Stones fans to put on their black armbands and their black humor it was three days ago.

The whole thing could get christened with a nice big mass gathering a la Woodstock '99. Someone should look into this -- Altamont '09 - the Thirtieth Anniversary! This time no one goes home.

12-09-02 06:42 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Personally I don't think there was near enough Altamont memorializing on the board last week -

hey nasty, i agree entirely - 6 dec. is the black (pun intended) letter day in the history of the stones if not r'n'r entirely and i was surprised at the lack of notice it received on the board

in my post on the day i mooted the canonization of meredith as rocks greatest martyr

and making light of tragedy is only human nature "This time no one goes home" LOL

cheers mate
12-09-02 06:55 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

in my post on the day i mooted the canonization of meredith as rocks greatest martyr

Several million candelite vigilantes are going to tell you that he wasn't even rock's greatest December martyr. Fuck, he doesn't even rate the top spot for his week, in most cases.

I think I decided that Rocks Off was the world's greatest rock and roll messge board about a year ago when they had that header of Altamont where Voodoo or someone had found Merideth in the picture and the caption was "HI MERE!"

Talk about right out of the park, as Maxwell would say.

12-09-02 07:33 PM
ChrisEditor It's actually dark humor...I appreciate all kinds of humor...And if I had seen any in that post I'd have acknowleged it...
I'm not offended by anything he said, I just said that it wasn't funny...There wasn't a clever line in that post.
If you throw it out there, take the criticism--good and/or bad.
No worries here...
12-09-02 07:53 PM
Hand O Fate It's not that I find it offensive in anyway. I could care less. I just found it extremely unfunny.
12-09-02 08:23 PM
stonedinaustralia that's cool...at least you found it so unfunny that you had to post in response...complete indifference (i.e. silence on your part)would have been the worst response (or lack thereof)

as i said i don't really care if you thought it was funny or not - 'tho i'm pleased to see it effected you enough to cause you to respond... i must be doing something right...
12-09-02 10:51 PM
Hand O Fate I'm just saying, I think you had one too many Foster's before you wrote that out. What was funny in your head just wasnt to the rest of the world. You should join AA. They have a good 12 step program. Maybe they can teach you how to be funny as well.
12-10-02 12:41 AM
Stonesthrow ChrisEd said to SIA:

>>My sensibilities thank you. Delicately.

Yet you later said you (and your sensibilities) were not offended-- only that you did not find it humorous. Which is it? BTW, black humor is perfectly acceptable in the same way that black comedy is used to describe films of that genre such as "The Hospital" and "Dr. Strangelove".
Feeling the need to use the term dark rather than black sounds like just more pc. The perverse (but not perverted) sort that I am, I found some humor in SIA's post because I know it was meant strictly as humor and not as a statement of present fact or profound hope of future fact. We just disagree.

12-10-02 12:57 AM
ChrisEditor Sigh...I was not offended. It just wasn't funny. If he's going to post it, the ones who think it's not funny can post just as the ones who (somehow) found it funny do.
What's your point other than trying to stir up trouble?
Look elsewhere because I find that kind of rhetoric boring and will not succumb to an argument on a Web site.
But, in the interest of fair play, let me look again.
Hmmm...Is the bunker on the site of Hunter's death the funny part?
If it is I guess I'm not accostumed to dark/black humor.
Don't bother reponding to me directly, I'm not going to look at this post again.
12-10-02 01:30 AM
Stonesthrow ChrisEd said:

>>I guess I'm not accostumed to dark/black humor.

Or accustomed either. Whether or not you read this, I was not trying to stir trouble. I was responding to the ambiguity in your statements and also to what I perceive as political correctness which seems to prevent you from liking dark/black humor. BTW, which part of what I said was rhetoric and why?
12-10-02 01:39 AM
Roland Actually it's pretty funny if you re-read it after reading Hand of Fate's reply to it!
12-10-02 03:29 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
I think you had one too many Foster's before you wrote that out. What was funny in your head just wasnt to the rest of the world.

i wasn't drunk (i hadn't even been drinking much less was i drunk) when i wrote it - you should hear the stuff i come up with when i am!! - and i don't drink "fosters" - not many australians do - we export that stuff

the biggest thing you seem to have a problem understanding is it's all a matter of personal taste - you didn't think it was funny - fair enough - but, as i said before, it obviously moved you enough to respond - why was that?? - is stonesthrow right are you one of these apparatchiks (sp?) for the forces of pc - if so what the hell are you doing hanging around here anyway?? - and since when did you receive the mandate to speak for "the rest of the world"

and as for you chrised. you say if i'm going to post stuff i should be prepared to cop criticism - i have no problem with that - bring it on,i say...you, on the other hand, throw in your two bobs worth and then say "don't respond to me directly. I am not going to look at this post again"... i don't mean to be rude but that sounds like hypocritical chicken-shit to me

as i say the fact you two didn't find it funny is nothing to me - steelie, stonesthrow and roland seemed to get a laugh out of it - if just one person got a laugh out of it, well that's mission accomplished as far as i'm concerned - you're never going to appeal to everybody's taste and you'd be a fool to try - but i am rather curious as to why you found it so un-funny that you were inspired to respond - if i see an attempt at humour that i don't appreciate i usually just ignore it -it would seem the whole thing has gotten under your skin - which to me, in a way, is almost as satisfying as making you laugh

what it means, i guess, is that we have different senses of humour and that's just like a difference of opinion over a piece of music - there is no right or wrong

as for what was supposed to be funny about it - well it wasn't so much the finer details - 'tho even i got a kick out of the "altamont highball" and the "golf" with sawn-off pool cues - the real thrust of it was meant to be an observation on the modern world's ability to turn "anything" into a marketable commodity provided the right spin is put on it and enough money is ploughed into it

in closing, i'd just like to say thanks for the little joust but i think you both maybe a little out of your depth - as stonesthrow also pointed out, you haven't maintained your line of criticism or really made a point other than to say you didn't think it was funny - to which i can only say - that's cool but so what??

12-10-02 03:36 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Hand O Fate wrote:
...how to be funny as well.

btw - what does your sense of humour extend to..adam sandler movies perhaps??
12-10-02 05:11 AM
ChrisEditor Yeah, I thought to myself that posting and then saying don't bother to respond because I won't look was kinda weak. So I did look again and that's why I'm posting this.
You know, I had a long diatribe typed out earlier in response to the very clever StonesThrow and the cute way he found a typo in my post and jumped on it to show his superiority of the English language. And about how informed he is about the dark/black humor film genre because I'm sure we were all impressed. But I deleted it because it's just not worth it. I don't have the time, desire or temperment to get into pissing matches with people on here.
I'm kind of big on getting along with people and not spreading angry words around. We are all Stones fans and should be enjoying this time--it won't be around forever.
So, Stonesthrow, let's leave it with you taking whatever victory you feel you've won (keep your dictionary handy) and accept that you are right and I was wrong. Just do me a favor: Don't get into a battle of wits with me because you don't have the ammunition.
StonedinAustralia, I have no idea what compelled me to put a post on here saying your post wasn't funny. I guess because when I got done reading it I literally thought 'that wasn't funny at all.'
But, you are right. I should have just gone about my business and not commented on it. I don't begrudge you for taking chances at trying to crack people up. I say go for it. We can all use some laughs.
Thanks for the lively conversation and take care Down Under.

[Edited by ChrisEditor]
12-10-02 10:34 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
ChrisEditor wrote:

You know, I had a long diatribe typed out earlier in response to the very clever StonesThrow and the cute way he found a typo in my post and jumped on it to show his superiority of the English language. And about how informed he is about the dark/black humor film genre because I'm sure we were all impressed. But I deleted it because it's just not worth it. I don't have the time, desire or temperment to get into pissing matches with people on here.

[Edited by ChrisEditor]

Just an observation: If you name yourself "editor" you'd better be prepared to have people jump your case for syntactical and typographical errors.

12-10-02 11:18 AM
Maxlugar "and i don't drink "fosters" - not many australians do - we export that stuff"

Straight to Maxy's belly!

God damn I love my Fosters Oil can on the train ride home every Friday!

That friggin tub o' beer lasts the whole 55 min. ride home.

Yup. I just stare out the window as a gray Queens floats by and sip my Fosters like a mental patient.

Thursday nights when I go to bed I even get giddy about it.

I get on my pointy knee caps and pray on the side of my bed that some Kangaroo cuddlin', Wallaby fondlin', Boomarang flickin', shrimp on the bar-b nibblin', Dingo ticklin', White shark pointing at and swimming awaying, Kinks Arthur back in the day setting, Platypus caressin', G'day babblin', Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin idolizing, second biggest partner in the war on terror helping guy did his job Down Under and put my can of Fosters on the boat to America.

Thanks to you, Australia, I have a reason for living.

Good night everybody!

Maxy

[Edited by Maxlugar]
12-10-02 01:06 PM
jb That was really funny!!!! Have a good time in Bali...
12-11-02 12:19 AM
Stonesthrow ChrisEd said:

>>So, Stonesthrow, let's leave it with you taking whatever victory you feel you've won (keep your dictionary handy) and accept that you are right and I was wrong. Just do me a favor: Don't get into a battle of wits with me because you don't have the ammunition.

From my end, this was never once a contest. I merely questioned, in a non-confrontational manner, things you said. The fact that you would not respond to the questions and instead chose to impugn my intelligence speaks volumes.
BTW, that is quite some superiority complex you have.
12-11-02 01:48 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Thanks to you, Australia, I have a reason for living.

maxy, if i may be so bold as to presume to speak for my country, i can only say the pleasure is all ours and we are glad to be of assistance!!
12-11-02 07:27 AM
Maxlugar Well if you don't speak for your whole country, you should.

You are one of my favorite posters.

Thanks for being there.
12-11-02 10:24 AM
jb Who are you other favorite posters Max? I am here for you as well!
[Edited by jb]
12-11-02 02:34 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Well if you don't speak for your whole country, you should.

You are one of my favorite posters.

Thanks for being there.

no max, thank you

without wishing to turn this into some sort of "mutual appreciation society" or, as MB would have it, a self congratulatory gang of back-slappers those thoughts of yours are reciprocated and i trust HOF and mr.ed won't be offended by this when i say from my side it goes back to you IN SPADES

cheers my long island friend