ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GUNMAN KILLS FOUR AT HEAVY METAL GIG Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 9th, 2004 05:58 AM
Honky Tonk Man GUNMAN KILLS FOUR AT HEAVY METAL GIG

Four people are dead and two have been wounded after a man went on the rampage at a heavy metal gig in the US.

The incident happened at a show in Columbus, Ohio by Damageplan, a metal band featuring ex-members of Pantera.

Approximately 200 people were in the Alrosa Villa Club when the shooting happened. Local police say that a man climbed onto the stage and shot at the band before turning on the crowd.

One of the band, thought to be guitarist ‘Dimebag’ Darrell Abbott, was shot upon at first before the assassin targeted the crowd. He is thought to be amongst the dead.

During the incident local police shot the gunman dead.

Police spokesman Brent Mull told the Associated Press that it was lucky the police had been on hand. He said: "If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse. It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

Police are yet to confirm any of the identities of the victims. It’s possible that more could have been shot, but left the scene of the crime.

One witness at the show said: "I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there."

Damageplan features ex-Pantera members ’Dimebag’ Darrell Abbott and his brother Vinnie Paul Abbott on drums.

The line-up of the band is completed by Pat Lachman and Bob Zilla on bass.

December 9th, 2004 06:15 AM
FotiniD What is it with December and gigs?
December 9th, 2004 10:07 AM
TMR Used to catch Pantera when they came to town back in the day....sad, sad news. :"(
December 9th, 2004 10:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
What is it with December and gigs?

Funny you should mention that. A lot of people foretold bad things happening at Altamont, saying that any of the organisers who would have consulted astrologers would have realised it was a potentially catastrophic day to stage a concert (apparently astrologers were consulted when choosing the dates of the Woodstock festival).

Whether you believe in that kind of thing is a matter of choice (I know some people do) but its kinda weird how many high publicised evil things seem to happen around that date (Altamont, Lennon's assassination, Pearl Harbour etc)
December 9th, 2004 10:39 AM
jb This is very sad and tragic news. I assume the club has ample insurance to cover the multiple claims which shall arise from this. I recently upped my auto-coverage to 500/500 with a 1 million dollar umbrella. People, I cannot saY LOUD ENOUGH THE IMPORTANCE of having proper liability insurance(this included uninsured protection). Please don't find yourself facing a catastrophic sitiuation with out ample coverage...you can be wiped out....however, you may wish to avail yourselves of current bankruptcy laws which allow total liqidation of debt under certain circumstances. Good luck my friends as the holiday season appraoches and we are faced with drunk drivers, industrial accidents, suicides, and mans inhumanity to man.
December 9th, 2004 10:58 AM
Joey
" I recently upped my auto-coverage to 500/500 with a 1 million dollar umbrella. People, I cannot saY LOUD ENOUGH THE IMPORTANCE of having proper liability insurance(this included uninsured protection). Please don't find yourself facing a catastrophic sitiuation with out ample coverage...you can be wiped out.... "

I would like to nuzzle you . You are a very wise man

Bless You My Jewish Brother !

December 9th, 2004 11:21 AM
Martha "and mans inhumanity to man."

What insurance policy can I get to cover this one jb?
December 9th, 2004 11:21 AM
gypsy
quote:
jb wrote:
This is very sad and tragic news. I assume the club has ample insurance to cover the multiple claims which shall arise from this. I recently upped my auto-coverage to 500/500 with a 1 million dollar umbrella. People, I cannot saY LOUD ENOUGH THE IMPORTANCE of having proper liability insurance(this included uninsured protection). Please don't find yourself facing a catastrophic sitiuation with out ample coverage...you can be wiped out....however, you may wish to avail yourselves of current bankruptcy laws which allow total liqidation of debt under certain circumstances. Good luck my friends as the holiday season appraoches and we are faced with drunk drivers, industrial accidents, suicides, and mans inhumanity to man.

Wise words from a wise man. Thanks, jb...you are the voice of reason, as always.
December 9th, 2004 11:45 AM
Joey

<---------Wise words from a wise man. Thanks, jb...you are the voice of reason, as always.

December 9th, 2004 11:53 AM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

<---------Wise words from a wise man. Thanks, jb...you are the voice of reason, as always.

joey, your avatar is stealing from me again.
December 9th, 2004 11:54 AM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Gypsy ......................................

I was under the distinct impression that the S.S. was going to post more these days ....................and you ?!?!

December 9th, 2004 11:56 AM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Gypsy ......................................

I was under the distinct impression that the S.S. was going to post more these days ....................and you ?!?!

I thought so too, joey. He was making a comeback, but then his posts seemed to stop as soon as he bought the new U2 album.
December 9th, 2004 12:09 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

My little Avatar is SUCH a Friggin Hack !

Hacky ! ™
December 9th, 2004 12:11 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

My little Avatar is SUCH a Friggin Hack !

Hacky ! ™

I wasn't going to post that...but yeah, he is. He is also a freeloading bastard, whose been sleeping in my "guest bedroom" for three weeks now, and eating all my food.
December 9th, 2004 12:13 PM
glencar I'm not familiar with Pantera's music & I've never seen "Dimebag" but this is some tragedy. It's nice to know the cop shot this guy.
December 9th, 2004 12:15 PM
not bound to please
quote:
jb wrote:
This is very sad and tragic news. I assume the club has ample insurance to cover the multiple claims which shall arise from this. I recently upped my auto-coverage to 500/500 with a 1 million dollar umbrella. People, I cannot saY LOUD ENOUGH THE IMPORTANCE of having proper liability insurance(this included uninsured protection). Please don't find yourself facing a catastrophic sitiuation with out ample coverage...you can be wiped out....however, you may wish to avail yourselves of current bankruptcy laws which allow total liqidation of debt under certain circumstances. Good luck my friends as the holiday season appraoches and we are faced with drunk drivers, industrial accidents, suicides, and mans inhumanity to man.

'Beverly Hillbillies' Singer Dies at 93

24 minutes ago Entertainment - AP Music

LOS ANGELES - Jerry Scoggins, who sang "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" that introduced the comical Clampett clan on "The Beverly Hillbillies," has died. He was 93.

Scoggins, the lead singer of the Cass County Boys, died Tuesday of natural causes at his home in Westlake Village.

In 1962, the country and western singer was working as a stockbroker and singing on weekends when he was asked to record a theme song for the pilot of the television series starring Buddy Ebsen (news).

Bluegrass stars Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs played guitar and banjo on "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" while Scoggins sang the lyrics.

The song and series were instant hits, and the ballad made the national hit parade in 1963.

The series, which ran on CBS from 1962 to 1971, was ranked as TV's No. 1 program in its first two seasons and drew up to 60 million viewers at its peak.

Scoggins was retired when he read in 1993 that 20th Century Fox was planning a movie version of the series. He called the studio and was put through to music supervisor Steve Smith, who told him, "Criminy I didn't know you were still around."

The studio had wanted Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson to sing the theme for the movie, but director Penelope Spheeris held out for Scoggins.

"I wanted to keep as much familiarity in the movie as I could find, and that was a key part: people's familiarity with his voice," she told the Los Angeles Times in 1993.

Scoggins estimated that by the movie he had sung "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" more than 1,000 times since first recording it.

Scoggins was born in Mount Pleasant, Texas, and began singing and playing guitar on Dallas radio in the early 1930s. In 1936 he formed the Cass County Kids with John "Bert" Dodson and Fred Martin.

Gene Autry (news) changed the group's name to the Cass County Boys when he hired them in 1946 for his Melody Ranch radio program. They worked with Autry for 12 years on radio and television, and performed in 17 of his movies.

The group also recorded and performed on TV with Bing Crosby (news) in the early 1950s.

The Cass County Boys were inducted into the Western Music Hall of Fame in 1996. They also received a Golden Boot Award from the Motion Picture and Television Fund.

Scoggins, a widower, is survived by two daughters, Judy Headley of Santa Barbara and Jane Kelly of Westlake Village; five grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.

December 9th, 2004 12:16 PM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm not familiar with Pantera's music & I've never seen "Dimebag" but this is some tragedy. It's nice to know the cop shot this guy.

Apparently, the guitarist "Dimebag" broke up Pantera...and the gunman was really upset about it. And rightly so! j/k
December 9th, 2004 12:19 PM
glencar LOL He does seem to have shot "Dimebag" first.

I'd always thought Buddy Ebsen sang that song!
December 9th, 2004 12:24 PM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
LOL He does seem to have shot "Dimebag" first.

I'd always thought Buddy Ebsen sang that song!

Seriously, the gunman supposedly said something about "Dimebag" breaking up Pantera. I've heard of Pantera, but never listened to them...and don't know anything about them.
December 9th, 2004 12:29 PM
nankerphelge It's unfortunate that anyone with such a great nickname had to be killed!
December 9th, 2004 12:37 PM
gypsy
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It's unfortunate that anyone with such a great nickname had to be killed!

I know...I wonder if they'll put that on his tombstone.
December 9th, 2004 12:40 PM
Phog Very sad news. I've never been a Pantera/Damageplan fan, but I've heard some of their stuff. Dimebag was damn good player. A real shame that shit like this happens.

RIP
December 9th, 2004 12:43 PM
glencar FOX just had some report about concert violence around the world on the upswing. There's not much that can be done other than staying home.
December 9th, 2004 12:45 PM
not bound to please
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Seriously, the gunman supposedly said something about "Dimebag" breaking up Pantera. I've heard of Pantera, but never listened to them...and don't know anything about them.

You mean it was a crazed fan?

December 9th, 2004 12:49 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Dimebag was also a member of The Four Horsemen who had a minor hit with the song "Nobody Said It Was Easy".
December 9th, 2004 12:49 PM
not bound to please
quote:
glencar wrote:
FOX just had some report about concert violence around the world on the upswing. There's not much that can be done other than staying home.

Concert violence just isn't like it was in the good old days. Altamont. No Greek tragedy, fabulous aesthetics (Hell's Angels and Mick done up as a fag satin Satan by Ossie Clarke) - and great filmmakers recording it. Just rappers and washed up heavy metal bands.

(this post should have a black background - damn!)
[Edited by not bound to please]
December 9th, 2004 12:51 PM
glencar You ain't kidding. Now the gunmen gets all the coverage!
December 9th, 2004 12:53 PM
not bound to please
quote:
glencar wrote:
You ain't kidding. Now the gunmen gets all the coverage!

here we go:

Gunman Kills 4 at Ohio Heavy Metal Show

1 minute ago Top Stories - AP

By JAY COHEN, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A gunman charged onstage at a nightclub and opened fire on the band and crowd, killing top heavy metal guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and three other people before a police officer shot him to death, authorities said.

AP Photo

Canadian Press
Slideshow: Former Pantera Guitarist Killed on Stage

Former Pantera Guitarist Killed on Stage
(AP Video)

The gunman had a hostage in a headlock and appeared to be preparing to kill him when the officer fired, police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said. The hostage escaped uninjured, Mull said.

Two other people were hospitalized. Police said one was in intensive care and the other stable.

Police identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus. Police said they had no information on a motive or any connection to Abbott or his band, the Texas-based group Damageplan.

Damageplan had just begun its first song at Alrosa Villa club Wednesday night when the gunman climbed onstage, started yelling and shot Abbott five or six times at point-blank range, witness Chris Couch said.

Mull said the gunman's exact statement was unclear because of the loud music. He said some witnesses reported hearing an accusation about Abbott breaking up his former band, thrash-rock pioneer Pantera, but it could not be confirmed whether the speaker was the gunman or a fan.

Couch, 22, said the man was wearing a hooded sweat shirt and was followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

Couch said that after firing on the guitarist, the gunman shot a bouncer who had pulled him off the musician, while fans surged toward the exit. The gunman then fired into the crowd of more than 250 people, Mull said.

Mull said Officer James D. Niggemeyer, patrolling nearby, arrived within two minutes of hearing the call. Niggemeyer, 31, saw one person lying dead and the suspect holding onto another "pretty much in a headlock," Mull said.

He said the hostage, "probably a fan, maybe someone who worked with the band," was able to maneuver out of the way before the officer fired.

Mull praised Niggemeyer's response.

"If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse," he said. "It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

Besides Abbott and Gale, police said the dead included Nathan Bray, 23, and Erin Halk, 29. Police said the name of the fifth person killed was being withheld pending notification of family.

Couch said he believed the shooter had a plan. "It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," he said.

Mull said he believed there was amateur video that officers could view for clues but that police had no answers yet. "We may never know a motive for this, unless he left a note," Mull said.

Gale has a minor police record in Marysville, said Police Chief Floyd Golden. He was pulled over for driving with a suspended license last month.

Thursday morning, a dozen yellow roses, still in plastic wrap, lay near the entry to the low-slung beige building that since 1974 has hosted mostly heavy metal acts. The 641-person-capacity club, just off a freeway exit on the city's north side, sits amid motels, small businesses and office complexes.

Dozens of messages were posted to the band's Web site after the shootings.

"This is the worst day in metal history," one posting read.

"The metal world feels your pain," another wrote.

Damageplan's debut album, "New Found Power," which was released in February by Elektra, was produced by Abbott and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott. Other band members are vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla.

Earlier, the brothers had been members of the Grammy-nominated Pantera, whose popularity soared in the early 1990s with a fast, aggressive sound.

"Damageplan carries on the tradition Pantera started, the ... hell-raising tradition we were all about," Vinnie Paul Abbott told The Dallas Morning News in October.

"It took awhile for some of the Pantera fans to accept it; we knew that was gonna be the case," he said. "Change is something that people have a hard time accepting. But me and Dime intended on doing this our whole lives."

The shootings came exactly 24 years after John Lennon was shot to death outside his New York apartment building by a deranged fan.

___

Associated Press writer Jay Jorden in Dallas contributed to this report.

___
December 9th, 2004 12:56 PM
kath jeeez..this is terrible. what a tragedy!!! people are crazy!!!
December 9th, 2004 12:56 PM
glencar Niggemeyer? What an odd name.
[Edited by glencar]
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood