ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 25 reasons why Willie rules (NSC) Return to archive
December 9th, 2004 01:07 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 25 reasons why Willie rules
Quad City Times

It’s not an exaggeration to say an American icon is returning to the Quad-Cities next week, to perform at the RiverCenter Adler Theatre in Davenport.

Whether it’s for his singing, songwriting, acting, politics or off-stage life, Willie Nelson is one of the few performers who can truly be called a legend.

Here, in no particular order are:

1. He’s recorded more than 200 albums (the latest, “It Will Always Be,” was released in October) and 2,500-plus songs.

2. His first songwriting breakthrough was “Crazy,” recorded by Patsy Cline in 1961. It was named as the No. 3 country song of all time last year by CMT.

3. With Neil Young and John Mellencamp, he founded Farm Aid in 1985, which has raised more than $24 million for farm organizations.

4. His sister, Bobbie, has been a longtime keyboard player in his band, which also includes two of his sons.

5. All performances are officially listed as “Willie Nelson and Family.”

6. In liner notes for “The Essential Willie Nelson,” Rodney Crowell writes: “A voice rivaling Bob Dylan’s in authenticity delivered the fantastically ironic lyric to a weird-sounding gut-string accompaniment.”

7. He’s playing Uncle Jesse in a “Dukes of Hazzard” movie (with Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville as Bo and Luke, and Jessica Simpson as Daisy) scheduled to be released next year.

8. His main guitar is an acoustic Martin named Trigger, after Roy Rogers’ horse. Its soundboard has been signed by hundreds of Nelson’s friends and associates, from musicians to lawyers to football coaches.

9. In the movie “Wag the Dog,” he plays a country singer, not unlike himself, hired to write a song supporting a war.

10. He admitted to smoking marijuana on the roof of the White House during the Jimmy Carter administration. (Cool in admitting it, not the actual act ...)

11. An animated version of him brought The Simpsons back together during the fake “New Awareness Awards” in the memorable “Behind the Laughter” episode.

12. He’s recorded duets with Frank Sinatra, Julio Iglesias and Ray Charles (the latter of which was nominated for a Grammy this week).

13. He paid off his $16.7 million tax debt in 1990 by selling his houses, studios, farms and other properties, and made up for the difference with the album “The
IRS Tapes: Who’ll Buy My Memories?”

14. His 1975 album, “Red-Headed Stranger,” is considered country music’s first “concept album.”

15. “We should add his face to the cliffs of Mount Rushmore and be done with it,” Dan Rather once said.

16. At least two songs have been written about him: “Weed With Willie,” by Toby Keith (his duet partner on last year’s country hit “Beer For My Horses”) and “Don’t Touch My Willie” by Kevin Fowler.

17. His music has “borrowed from a wide variety of styles, including traditional pop, Western swing, jazz, traditional country, cowboy songs, honky tonk, rock ‘n’ roll, folk and the blues, creating a distinctive, elastic hybrid,” writes Stephen Thomas Erlewine at allmusic.com.

18. He formed the supergroup The Highwaymen with Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson in 1985.

19. This summer, he toured with fellow legend Bob Dylan, playing minor-league ballparks throughout the country.

20. He appeared in tongue-in-cheek commercials for H&R Block.

21. He was one of the first to give national attention to Los Lonely Boys (whose bit hit is “Heaven”), the Tejano brother trio nominated for a Grammy as best new artist.

22. His “Outlaws and Angels” TV special earlier this year featured a diverse group — Toby Keith, Joe Walsh, Merle Haggard, Kid Rock, Al Green, Shelby Lynne, Carole King, Toots Hibbert, Ben Harper, Lee Ann Womack, Lucinda Williams, Rickie Lee Jones and Keith Richards.

23. During a 2003 Congressional redistricting policy in Texas, he sent a case of whiskey to the Democrats of the Texas legislature, in a self-imposed exile in Ardore, Okla. The enclosed card read “Stand your ground.”

24. He’s been a member of the Grand Ole Opry for 40 years.

25. He received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in 2000, was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1993 and awarded a Kennedy Center Honors.

— Compiled by David Burke from sources including the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, allmusic.com, wikipedia.com, imdb.com and Launch Music on Yahoo!

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
December 9th, 2004 06:37 AM
piratekeef Yes!!! Willie rules.
December 9th, 2004 08:03 AM
Bruno Stone I like ''Funny How Times Slips Away''... beautiful song

I think his voice is great.
December 9th, 2004 12:55 PM
glencar Well, except for #23, I can get down with much of this list.
December 9th, 2004 04:28 PM
Back Street Girl 25 reasons why Willie rules
December 9th, 2004 05:23 PM
kath preachin' to the choir, here. i've loved willie since the first time i ever heard him on the radio, about 1965 or so. he is THE MAN!!
December 9th, 2004 05:25 PM
glencar I didn't hear him until that duet with Julio Eglesias. We don't get much cuntry muzak in the Northeast.
December 9th, 2004 05:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
We don't get much cuntry muzak in the Northeast.

What!!!! That's an abomination.
December 9th, 2004 05:28 PM
glencar OK, not much in the Mid-Atlantic. NYC doesn't even have a single CM station these days.
December 9th, 2004 05:40 PM
Gibbons Dirty hippie.
December 9th, 2004 05:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gibbons wrote:
Dirty hippie.

"do I feel lucky"

December 9th, 2004 05:57 PM
Back Street Girl
quote:
Gibbons wrote:
Dirty hippie.

December 9th, 2004 10:22 PM
Bloozehound [quote16. At least two songs have been written about him: “Weed With Willie,” by Toby Keith (his duet partner on last year’s country hit “Beer For My Horses”) and “Don’t Touch My Willie” by Kevin Fowler.[/quote]

I like K. Fowler

Gary Allan also had a little hit recently with one he wrote called "What Would Willie Do"

quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I guess that's not to be unexpected. Country radio has sold out to the devil all across the country really. I like Hank III. He's an insignificant little asshole with a bad attitute. Those types only come down the road once in awhile.....until the Gun is to the Temple.

lol

Mots, check out Dale Watson, I bet you'll like him too

December 9th, 2004 10:55 PM
Mr. D Willie is a legend, and anyone who disagrees...well, sucks for you, sicne he's a legend and he always will be and you can't do a damn thing about it. hahah...dirty hippie, Willie might consider that a complement ya know.
December 9th, 2004 11:55 PM
Bloozehound someone around here says that if you do like Willie you should go shove a fiddle up your arse, or somesuch & suchn'such

December 10th, 2004 12:00 AM
stonedinaustralia I grew up a-dreamin' of bein' a cowboy,
and lovin' the cowboy ways.
Pursuin' the life of my high-ridin' heroes,
I burned up my childhood days.
I learned of all the rules of the modern-day drifter,
Don't you hold on to nothin' too long.
Just take what you need from the ladies, then leave them,
With the words of a sad country song.

My heroes have always been cowboys.
And they still are, it seems.
Sadly, in search of, but one step in back of,
Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams.

Cowboys are special with their own brand of misery,
From being alone too long.
You could die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare,
Knowin' well that your best days are gone.
Pickin' up hookers instead of my pen,
I let the words of my years fade away.
Old worn-out saddles, and 'old worn-out memories,
With no one and no place to stay.

My heroes have always been cowboys.
And they still are, it seems.

December 10th, 2004 12:55 PM
kath great song...such a poet.
December 10th, 2004 02:19 PM
Starbuck who says body art isn't cool?

is that a "red headed stranger" in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

December 10th, 2004 04:18 PM
Back Street Girl
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
someone around here says that if you do like Willie you should go shove a fiddle up your arse, or somesuch & suchn'such

Bloozehound, please do not misquote me.My comment on the thread http://novogate.com/board/968/205518-3.html had nothing to do with people liking Willie Nelson. It was aimed at Barney Fife who called me a fukkin idiot because I put Willie Nelson in my worst act's list.

Thank you.
December 10th, 2004 06:24 PM
kath that picture looks more like tommy chong ( i wonder how he is doing in prison?) than willie nelson......

how could anybody put willie on a "worst acts" list???
December 10th, 2004 06:29 PM
Back Street Girl
quote:
kath wrote:
that picture looks more like tommy chong ( i wonder how he is doing in prison?) than willie nelson......

somebody who dos'nt like him maybe ?
December 10th, 2004 06:33 PM
gypsy
quote:
kath wrote:
that picture looks more like tommy chong ( i wonder how he is doing in prison?) than willie nelson......

OMG! kath, it does look like Tommy Chong. Why do women get tattoos on their genitalia? I just don't understand. I was getting a tattoo once, and I know the artist, and he told me a story about how he had to tattoo a devil on some lady's vagina. The devil's head was on the pubis...and his hands were on the sides--by the labius majoris to give the appearance that Satan was coming out of her. I was so grossed out. I didn't ask him, but I was thinking "What if this chick was not clean...y'know...and he had to get close down there to do his job. Ugh! I just wanted to throw up. Sorry for grossing you guys out.
December 10th, 2004 06:54 PM
kath gawd....is the tattoo parlor in a fish market???

i've seen some of those (in magazines, and online, not in "person") and they just totally gross me out.

another thing i don't understand is why some people get their clitoris pierced and put a ring in it. WTF??? why injure the one part of your body that makes life worth living......

i've noticed (later that same evening) that no one has responded to the "fish market" remark....

how disappointing.......

[Edited by kath]
December 10th, 2004 11:06 PM
kath
quote:
somebody who does'nt like him maybe ?

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!

really, early albums, red headed stranger...shotgun willie....try to find "i never cared for you" (the most beautiful song EVER!!!!)
December 10th, 2004 11:08 PM
gypsy I didn't want to say "fish market." But, ummm, I'm sure it smelled pretty rank.
December 10th, 2004 11:55 PM
kath yikes....ok, maybe the cat food section at petsmart???
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood