ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 24 Years Ago Today: December 8th, 1980 Return to archive
December 8th, 2004 11:00 AM
Martha John Lennon
10/9/40-12/8/80

We lost a great man, a visionary of peace and social justice, a great songwriter, husband, friend, comic and father 24 years ago today.

I learned of his murder the next morning around 6:30 am. My first thought and I remember it vividly was...that the announcer was telling a lie......that it HAD to be a hoax.....I simply could not believe my ears. Then the sad reality began to set in.

I thank you for the gifts you gave to this world John. I am still inspired by your courage to speak the truth no matter what the cost and by the example of the life you led in spite of what you had to endure personally and professionally for choosing that path.

It takes courage to live the life you are meant to live.

May you rest in peace.

I am asking everyone to please refrain from posting anything negative in this thread out of respect for John.

Thank you. :-)

December 8th, 2004 11:11 AM
Joey
" We lost a great man, a visionary of peace and social justice, a great songwriter, husband, friend, comic and father 24 years ago today. "

Amen Martha ...........................

John Lennon's strength is in each and every single one of us today .

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE !!!!!!

J. ™
December 8th, 2004 11:15 AM
Gimme Shelter RIP John. I can't believe its been 24 years already.
December 8th, 2004 11:20 AM
Nellcote Enjoy in what was brought to us
That's what he would have wanted
December 8th, 2004 11:25 AM
nankerphelge FYI

http://www.converse.com/zproductdetails.asp?zcatid=2&zsubcatid=&zgenid=&leftnavid=1&sku=1Q090
December 8th, 2004 11:29 AM
Mr. D Amen...John was indeed a great figure of rock and roll music, but he was more than that. John was a great figure of human life and what people should be internally. He was an amazing human being and visionary, God bless.
December 8th, 2004 11:52 AM
69 Chevy I was driving home from a Springsteen concert and all The Philadelphia rock radio stations were playing non stop Beatles music and we couldn't figure out why until the DJ broke in and announced Lennon had been assinated. We saw Springsteen again the following night and he came out and announced how hard it was to perform after losing such a great man and if it wasn't for the Beatles he might not have ever picked up a guitar. The band then launched into "Twist and Shout".
December 8th, 2004 11:57 AM
gustavobala i never understand why kill a man who speaks "peace and love"....

dream in peace, John
December 8th, 2004 12:06 PM
BILL PERKS NEVER FORGET COSELL TELLING THE WORLD ON MNF,AT THE TIME ,I DID NOT KNOW HOW IMPORTANT HE WAS
December 8th, 2004 12:09 PM
LadyJane I'm getting the chills thinking about getting the news from Howard Cosell. What a senseless tragedy.

RIP, John!! We miss you!

LJ.
December 8th, 2004 12:41 PM
Lazy Bones

December 8th, 2004 01:22 PM
Sir Stonesalot I hate Dec 8th. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

I hate Dec 7th also.

I hate Dec 22nd too.

There are 2 good things about December.

1. My son's birthday.
2. It'll turn into January.
December 8th, 2004 01:24 PM
glencar Tempus fugit. I heard the news during the local CBS station's 11PM newscast. The anchor said that word had just come in that John Lennon had just been shot with a .22. I thought he'd survive but no luck. I remember it was very cold that December unlike this year's.
December 8th, 2004 01:31 PM
Factory Girl I remember walking with a friend through the woods on December 9, 1980 and it was raining.

I said to my friend:" This is just like the Beatles song "For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun."

RIP John Lennon.
December 8th, 2004 02:09 PM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I hate Dec 8th. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

I hate Dec 7th also.

I hate Dec 22nd too.

There are 2 good things about December.

1. My son's birthday.
2. It'll turn into January.

December 8th, 2004 04:00 PM
Jen D I'm listening to a boot version of Imagine made up of of alternative versions - trying, not to morn but celebrate John's life (this thread nearly set me off though )
trying to work out how I'm going to survive this day two weeks time - going to try and do the same.

just heard a fucking amazing version of I don't wanna be a Soldier (better than on Imagine itself), and how good is Give Me Some Truth? (lyrics)

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,405984,00.html

Keith -
"I was downtown on Fifth Avenue in New York. The first bit of news I got, I thought: 'He'll make it. It's just a flesh wound.' And then, later on, the news really came. He wasn't just a mate of mine, he was a mate of everybody's, really. He was a funny guy. And you realise that you're stunned. You really don't believe it. And you think, 'God, why can't I do anything about it?' I got well drunk on it. And I had another one for John. Then there was the confusion, the phone calls, trying to find out if Yoko was OK.

There were the Beatles, and there was John. As a band, they were a great unit. But John, he was his own man. We got along very well. We didn't see each other very often, but he would sort of turn up at your hotel. Usually, if I was in the city, I'd stay at the Plaza. If John turned up, that meant he wanted to party. He didn't come there to discuss, you know, philosophy, although it would end up like that.
I would just get into town, and there'd be a knock at the door: 'Hey, mon, what is going on around here?' We would get the guitars down and sing. And, in our spare time, discuss world domination.

He's rubbed off on me as much as anybody. A bit of me rubbed off on John, too, you know. He took it with him. My father just passed away, and he winked at me just before he died. I really feel a lot better about death now. I'm getting off on that wink. I'd give the wink to John."

Joe Strummer -
"I can't remember where I read this, but it struck me, so I'll repeat it: the Beatles were from the first generation of working-class kids in Britain, after the war and rationing and all, who were asked to think about their feelings - and to express themselves in an artistic way. Obviously, Lennon was a one-off, but it's amazing to think of what might have been wasted in other generations. Part of his legacy is opening the door to people who'd never been allowed to dream of such things. We'll compare our new geniuses against that one forever."

December 8th, 2004 04:22 PM
Jen D FUCK I'd forgotten how great/meaningful Power to the People is - this is an even more glorious version than the single.
could easily stand alongside the best social/political rock'n'roll of the Clash.

Now onto God save OZ

Oh, god save us one and all,
Oh, god save us from defeat,
Oh, god save us from the war.
Oh, god save us on the street.

Yeah, let’s fight for people rights,
Let us fight for freedom.
Let us fight for mickey mouse

Oh, god save us on the street.

Let us fight for children’s rights
Let us fight for rupert bear,

Oh, god save us from the street.

Oh, god save us from the sea
Oh, god save us from de queen,

followed by YOko wailing away as Lennon does the OZ
"Put the left wing in and put the right wing out"

Miss you John.
December 8th, 2004 06:16 PM
stonedinaustralia best advice/observation/song he did, imho,(somewhat ironically)

"instant karma's gonna get you...and we all shine on"
December 8th, 2004 08:42 PM
Soldatti God bless you John.
December 8th, 2004 08:54 PM
kath instant karma gonna get you
gonna knock you off your feet

gawd john i miss you more and more all the time...we need you and frank zappa back with us here!!

and we all shine on...like the moon and the stars and the sun

yeah we all shine on...everyone....come on!!

December 8th, 2004 10:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Holy shit! For the first time we didn't put the image of John Lennon, shame on me

Thanks John!
December 9th, 2004 12:27 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
December 9th, 2004 01:00 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Creepy! The killer getting Lennon's last autograph

From http://www.findadeath.com/
December 9th, 2004 06:31 AM
bez85 No one wore it on the sleeve like Lennon R.I.P John
December 9th, 2004 06:54 AM
Jair In the same day, but in 1994, also died the Brazilian "maestro" Tom Jobin, one of those Bossa Nova fathers. He's quite fantastic.

He was in a hospital in NYC.

December 9th, 2004 07:46 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I hate Dec 22nd too.

why??
December 9th, 2004 10:31 AM
Gazza Joe Strummer died on that date in 2002
December 9th, 2004 10:55 AM
Moonisup hm, allright, thank you for that info.
So many great musicians died the last 2 years, that it's , how sad it may sound, hard to keep up.
the 22nd of December, happens to be my birthday, so that's why I reacted!

[Edited by Moonisup]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood