ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: charlie back from working with the stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 7th, 2004 12:55 PM
thejuf bill wyman tells about it in his internet diary:
At 7:00pm Charlie Watts called, having just got back from working in France for the last few weeks with the rest of the Rolling Stones. "

the juf

[Edited by thejuf]
[Edited by thejuf]
December 7th, 2004 02:16 PM
LadyJane If Bill Wyman is pulling my leg, I'll find him and yank that wig off of his head!

By far this is the best title of a thread I have seen on RO in months!!!!!!!!!

All I want for Xmas is to know the Stones are recording a new studio album. Please Santa...I've been a good girl this year!!!!

LJ.
December 7th, 2004 02:20 PM
Jair I've checked out the Bill Wymans's website. Now you have to pay to read the entire diary.

I thinkin' seriously in pay, the guy must be starving.

Please, lets help an ex Rolling Stone eat!!!

Whatha shame! What else he's selling, his ass?

Jair------------->now driving by the the peachtree road>..........

[Edited by Jair]
December 7th, 2004 02:56 PM
mac_daddy great, new news!

thanks for the post.

quote:
Jair wrote:
I've checked out the Bill Wymans's website. Now you have to pay to read the entire diary.

Please, lets help an ex Rolling Stone eat!!!

Whatha shame! What else he's selling, his ass?

Jair------------->now driving by the the peachtree road>..........

[Edited by Jair]

how much does rs.com cost per year?
December 7th, 2004 03:09 PM
thejuf I think we should all be grateful for the fact that Charlie is doing fine.
that's more important than the album.

the juf
December 7th, 2004 04:17 PM
Tom yes but both news are the greatest news
December 7th, 2004 04:47 PM
Rolling Hansie [quote]thejuf wrote:
At 7:00pm Charlie Watts called
==================================
Thank you very much for this great news
December 7th, 2004 06:41 PM
Madafaka Thank you
This theme was announced here: http://www.novogate.com/board/968/205794-1.html?PHPSESSID=d404369151b46faf8b1649961fcfe9f1

[Edited by Madafaka]
December 7th, 2004 07:49 PM
glencar They've been so quiet about it...
December 7th, 2004 08:01 PM
Gazza They've been out of the studio so long they probably can hardly believe it themselves!
December 7th, 2004 08:06 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Jair wrote:

We need to send Mick Taylor money. A good diet of veggies costs more than Krispy Cremes.
December 7th, 2004 09:17 PM
Soldatti Great news, thanks for posting it.
December 7th, 2004 10:51 PM
Steel Wheels Charlie in the studio makes me smile!
December 8th, 2004 12:26 AM
IanBillen
Great. -Especially for Charlie! What a class act he is huh.-

Maybe they are taking a little breather. Maybe it is mostly recorded. You know it could be the latter. We know Mick and Keith got together to write a new batch recently. Maybe it was to see which could be hot out of the bunch to see if they can add it to what they have got to an already working album. That is what my guess is given the info. obtained this far over the past few years. One thing is almost definate. The Stones have had alot of time to write songs together over the past few years

[and if, capital I-F, this is a fresh start it is rather weak: TWO WEEKS ISN'T CUTTING IT IF THIS IS THE VERY BEGGINING OF AN ALBUM since it will have been 8 full years since the last total studio effort I would find this studio jaunt much to short to be up to scale as a continuing Rock n Roll act that carries the title of The Worlds Greatest Rock n Roll Band.....I don't care what anyone says]

However,
It is factual they recorded considerably during Licks. My guess is the have a strong base for an album already given the short stay of studio time.

Ian
December 8th, 2004 05:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

[and if, capital I-F, this is a fresh start it is rather weak: TWO WEEKS ISN'T CUTTING IT IF THIS IS THE VERY BEGGINING OF AN ALBUM

How is it not long enough if its only "the very beginning of an album"?

Theyre quite some time away from finishing an album..
December 8th, 2004 05:20 AM
FotiniD I never thought I'd say that, but here it is: thank you Bill Wyman.

There it is. Wasn't too bad...

December 8th, 2004 05:54 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:

How is it not long enough if its only "the very beginning of an album"?

Theyre quite some time away from finishing an album..

Well we don't know how close they are from finishing up an album. They could have most all tracks recorded with all the recording they did on the Licks Tour according to Keith.

I know it sounds petty and kinda pecimistic but
if infact it is a fresh start and they are just starting I was expecting them to at least work up to the holiday before a holiday break. The past three Stones albums when the band was finally all there to record they spent much more time than this. I am not really concerned with getting an album fast I am just concerned on The Rolling Stones work ethics these days when it comes to recording new stuff. I am hoping it is not some mish-mash of semi-recording sessions and therefore I am in hopes of a solid, cohesive album this time out.
The time it takes for the album to come out doesn't really concern me anymore as long as they are working on it.
That's what I am worried about. I can wait till June if it is going to be a good album. I am just concerned they may not be working hard on pulling it all together and sticking to it like they used to in order to release a top-notch Stones Product.

Do you know what I mean? Kinda like going to the gym. (although I know the recording process is miles away from that) You don't go to the gym a few weeks here and there to really get down to business and get in shape. You cycle it with short breaks in between cycles.

Two weeks doesn't seem like much of a cycle for wanting to really get down to business. Geez it takes that long just to get the grooves rolling and natural sounding. I hope they are not banking on a tour to pull the album sales if need be and carry serious work ethics on this one is all.

Ian
December 8th, 2004 06:53 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I never thought I'd say that, but here it is: thank you Bill Wyman.

There it is. Wasn't too bad...

Hi there, yes thank you bill for the news!!!
I wonder how they will work on the guitar sound during the next weeks. Will guys like waddy watchel or pierre de beauport take Ronnie's place??
I mean, i d like to hear a STONES album, which involved every member, not a Jagger song with a few Ketih licks on or another Keith ballad without Mick, well you know what I mean..
We know the glimmer twins work together,let's hope for something different than "don t stop" or "loosing my touch"..

cheers
JU
December 8th, 2004 07:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Well we don't know how close they are from finishing up an album. They could have most all tracks recorded with all the recording they did on the Licks Tour according to Keith.

I know it sounds petty and kinda pecimistic but
if infact it is a fresh start and they are just starting I was expecting them to at least work up to the holiday before a holiday break. The past three Stones albums when the band was finally all there to record they spent much more time than this. I am not really concerned with getting an album fast I am just concerned on The Rolling Stones work ethics these days when it comes to recording new stuff. I am hoping it is not some mish-mash of semi-recording sessions and therefore I am in hopes of a solid, cohesive album this time out.
The time it takes for the album to come out doesn't really concern me anymore as long as they are working on it.
That's what I am worried about. I can wait till June if it is going to be a good album. I am just concerned they may not be working hard on pulling it all together and sticking to it like they used to in order to release a top-notch Stones Product.

Do you know what I mean? Kinda like going to the gym. (although I know the recording process is miles away from that) You don't go to the gym a few weeks here and there to really get down to business and get in shape. You cycle it with short breaks in between cycles.

Two weeks doesn't seem like much of a cycle for wanting to really get down to business. Geez it takes that long just to get the grooves rolling and natural sounding. I hope they are not banking on a tour to pull the album sales if need be and carry serious work ethics on this one is all.

Ian

thats not how they work, Ian. If theyve worked for about 2 weeks it will be mostly rough demos and trying out ideas which they can then go away and work on before re-convening. Not a fully fledged session, as such. The last time they did anything of substance was in 2002 when they spent two weeks recording songs in Paris for "40 Licks" - even though they obviously concentrated on finishing 4 songs for the album, they still bashed out about another 25 rough demos
December 8th, 2004 07:31 AM
BILL PERKS I LOVE YOU IAN.YOUR MIND IS A BEAUTIFUL THING
December 8th, 2004 08:23 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
I LOVE YOU IAN.YOUR MIND IS A BEAUTIFUL THING

Yeah, me too... I just can't stand that "...From Ian" after thread's subject.... that's annoying
December 8th, 2004 11:39 AM
nankerphelge Yay Charlie!
December 8th, 2004 01:39 PM
gypsy from IanBillen
December 8th, 2004 02:08 PM
Joey " Bill wyman tells about it in his internet diary:
At 7:00pm Charlie Watts called, having just got back from working in France for the last few weeks with the rest of the Rolling Stones. "

Jufy .........................................

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis .

December 8th, 2004 04:13 PM
Monkey Woman The plot thickens, the Stones are going through European borders very quietly nowadays. A rumor has it that they were not in Paris last week but in the northern part of France, in Lille, near Belgium!
December 8th, 2004 08:34 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
A rumor has it that they were not in Paris last week but in the northern part of France, in Lille, near Belgium!

If they are recording is enough to me, they can record in the moon if they want.
[Edited by Soldatti]
December 8th, 2004 08:46 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
The plot thickens, the Stones are going through European borders very quietly nowadays. A rumor has it that they were not in Paris last week but in the northern part of France, in Lille, near Belgium!

The French Battalion of the RO Chick Clique needs to get on this right away. MW and caro....you have your assignments.

LJ.
December 8th, 2004 08:58 PM
kath in reality, they were hanging out at kath's house in salem, oregon..that LAST place anyone would think to look....

kath, having recently become a part of the witness protection program, was not available for comment....

or...was she?????

December 9th, 2004 12:52 AM
IanBillen "trying out ideas which they can then go away and work on before re-convening".....
Gazza, That is the very point.

Why should the Rolling Stones go their seperate ways to work on a freakin song or group of songs then reconvein only to
have seperate ideas when they return???

This is exactly why we have only one real classic album from them in the past 20 some odd years after Tattoo You(Voodoo Lounge: 1994)

What happend to the days of recording as with Exile or Sympathy for the Devil when they were all there, involved,
and working towards the same product or at least in contact
bouncing ideas of each other?

Instead, anymore it is a Mick or Keith toss-up on how the song goes when they meet up again and the rest of the band just plays the song.

What we need is them there, working hard, as a unit as they have in the past. Not seperating only to reconvein with different ideas and some of them just wanting to record it one way or another to get it over with.

That is exactly why Bridges wasn't as revered as Voodoo and exactly why tracks on Forty Licks, while are good tracks, are not 110% of Stones quality.....Time spent working is why.

And this is the very reason we have not had a studio album in eight years.....Work Ethics.

We need them to take it seriously again and stay with it working as a team to see what they can come up with.
Ian
December 9th, 2004 01:10 AM
Zack >We need them to take it seriously again and stay with it working as a team to see what they can come up with.

We need them, but unfortunately, they don't need us. The fact is they don't have anything to prove any more, unlike in 1968, when they were being called washed up after the SMR debacle.

To state the painfully obvious, they are in their sixties (I know, not Ronnie) and are millionaires many times over. They could all retire tomorrow. Therefore, let us just be grateful they are together at all and not not overanalyze what this small piece of good news really means.

..............from Zack
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood