ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 80's Metal Band Motley Crue to Reunite (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 7th, 2004 04:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels 80's Metal Band Motley Crue to Reunite
AP Music
By ALEX VEIGA, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - The original members of 1980s glam metal band Motley Crue, which made hard living and wild sexcapades a centerpiece of their music and their lives, on Monday announced a world reunion tour.

After a five-year hiatus, the big-haired, leather-clad Crue members are eager to slip back into the music, if not the lifestyle depicted in hit rockers like "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Smokin' in the Boys' Room."

The band arrived Monday at the Hollywood Palladium in a hearse, sporting eye makeup. About 1,000 people cheered as the group opened with "Dr. Feelgood" following a news conference.

With support from cable music television network VH1, the band — vocalist Vince Neil , drummer Tommy Lee , guitarist Mick Mars and bass player Nikki Sixx — plan a world tour beginning in February in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The band will hit more than 60 cities in North America during two legs and play several festivals in Europe before wrapping up the tour in southeast Asia and Australia.

The band will release a double-CD greatest hits compilation with three new songs entitled "Red, White & Crue" in February.

"We're just ready to go out and rock," Neil said at the news conference. "We're still Motley. We still rock."

The band originally formed in 1981, but its members have been known less in recent years for their music and more for their personal troubles, particularly Lee.

He has been in and out of probation for years stemming from charges in 1998 that he abused ex-wife actress Pamela Anderson , with whom he has two children. He also faced charges of child abuse and a firearms violation.

In 1989, Sixx nearly died from a heroin overdose. Mars is recovering from hip replacement surgery to treat a degenerative illness.
December 7th, 2004 04:53 AM
UGot2Rollme blank stare...
yawn
December 7th, 2004 05:44 AM
FotiniD From IORR:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Motley Crue have recorded a version of "Street Fighting Man" and may include the track on a hits package due in stores next February. "It's very hip," Motley Crue bass player Nikki Sixx says. "It's very trippy. We really changed it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Does that last sentence sound scary to you too?
December 7th, 2004 07:29 AM
Gazza My nipples are exploding with delight....

December 7th, 2004 07:36 AM
Monkeytonkman Awsome, Dude I a, stoked about this.

loads of my mates and drinking dubbies down the my regular are into the Crue and if they come over here then there will be a load of us going.

Nothing wrong with the crue. I'd rather go to see motley Crue and rock out to load guitars and load anthems than sit at home with my rolling Stones records listening to them.

one mans idea of heacven is another mans idea of purgatory! and i can understand why going to see motley Crue live would be like a livnig hell for many of you.

Hey to each there own. for some of you there is no other band other than the Stones. Me, I like getting out and rocking out.

December 7th, 2004 08:35 AM
Gazza Each to their own indeed. Enjoy it!
December 7th, 2004 10:21 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I dunno. I kind of like Motley Crue. I suspect that they're probably better live than on record. I like their..well...."presentation", even though I don't know if they're really as decandent as their public relations stunts. Vince is okay, he's the type of guy my Grandfather used to call a "whoremaster". And Mick Marrs is one UGLY dude....he LOOKS like a pirate.
December 7th, 2004 11:41 AM
Dan They are kinda fun live even if they totally suck. Vince only sings like every third word and apparently last night they used lots of canned vocals etc. A friend who was working for them reported that Mick was actually able to stand up during the third day of rehearsals which makes me wonder if they are rushing into this or are hoping to at least sell some tickets as the original band before he drops dead.
I cant understand why are they are booking arenas though. I saw them in 2000 at the Universal AMph (cap 6000) and it was nowhere near full. I paid about half price for a ticket but only that much because I wanted to make it in in time to see openers Anthrax and Megadeth. I will have to repost my review from the one gig I saw with the other singer.
December 7th, 2004 11:46 AM
Joey

I am now so Happy that I could just Drop a Log !

*************** END TRANSMISSION ****************
December 7th, 2004 12:53 PM
Dan here are some notes about the Club Shelter 1/30/95 gig:

I saw the last show with John Corabi in 1995 at Club Shelter in Pasadena. That was an interesting experience. It was a benefit show. Wasnt close to sold out (about 300 in a place that holds 400). Surprise openers Billy Idol with Steve Stevens, Duff McKagen and Matt Sorum.
Motley Crue brings out some guy from House Of Pain to sing backup on Livewire. He stagedives, which you cant do on a 30 something burnout crowd. Everybody moves. He gets dropped. Later on during Home Sweet Home, he comes storming back out. John holds him back at arms length so he can finish the humming part at the end. The HOP guy takes the mic and starts cursing out the crowd because his wallet was stolen when he stagedived. They do one more song and as they exit (thru the crowd) it looks Tommy Lee is getting in a fight with someone and his own security drags him off.
December 7th, 2004 01:01 PM
Monkeytonkman Dan. that is a sweet story dude!
December 7th, 2004 04:24 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
80's Metal Band Motley Crue to Reunite
AP Music
By ALEX VEIGA, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - The original members of 1980s glam metal band Motley Crue, which made hard living and wild sexcapades a centerpiece of their music and their lives, on Monday announced a world reunion tour.

After a five-year hiatus, the big-haired, leather-clad Crue members are eager to slip back into the music, if not the lifestyle depicted in hit rockers like "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Smokin' in the Boys' Room."

The band arrived Monday at the Hollywood Palladium in a hearse, sporting eye makeup. About 1,000 people cheered as the group opened with "Dr. Feelgood" following a news conference.

With support from cable music television network VH1, the band — vocalist Vince Neil , drummer Tommy Lee , guitarist Mick Mars and bass player Nikki Sixx — plan a world tour beginning in February in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The band will hit more than 60 cities in North America during two legs and play several festivals in Europe before wrapping up the tour in southeast Asia and Australia.

The band will release a double-CD greatest hits compilation with three new songs entitled "Red, White & Crue" in February.

"We're just ready to go out and rock," Neil said at the news conference. "We're still Motley. We still rock."

The band originally formed in 1981, but its members have been known less in recent years for their music and more for their personal troubles, particularly Lee.

He has been in and out of probation for years stemming from charges in 1998 that he abused ex-wife actress Pamela Anderson , with whom he has two children. He also faced charges of child abuse and a firearms violation.

In 1989, Sixx nearly died from a heroin overdose. Mars is recovering from hip replacement surgery to treat a degenerative illness.

This is great news!! Say what you will about '80's metal but you gotta love the Crue!!!
December 7th, 2004 04:37 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

I just dropped another log !

So it's solid now, joey? Good for you! I told you Metamucil was the way to go.
December 7th, 2004 05:22 PM
Gibbons Spinal Tap?
December 7th, 2004 06:16 PM
Riffhard I just hung up the phone with Nikki Sixx,Tommy Lee,and Vince Neil. I did a quick interview with them to promote their upcoming tour and greatest hits package. Spinal Tap is a great analogy! They are an incredibly difficult interview. Just a complete and utter pain in the ass. Like a bunch of drunk 18 year old talikng shit. They can't stay on topic about anything These guys sit in a room in LA and do about twenty of these interviews back to back and they just don't give a fuck. I've interviewed Nikki a couple of times in person and solo and he was great and very funny,but together forget it. I could give two shits about their music,but it seems to me that they need all the help they can get as far as their tour is concerned.

I have edited a 12 minute interview down to about a 3 minute sound bite and I don't feel a damned bit guilty about it! I've interviewed much bigger acts that were true legends that had at least a modicum of professionalism to them. Not so with those clowns. Just tryin' to pull the old "we're rock stars goddamnit!" attitude. That shit don't fly with me. After all I'm a Stones fan and I know what real rock stars are all about!

Riffhard
December 7th, 2004 07:21 PM
Nasty Habits I certainly can't discredit entirely any band that wrote "Too Fast for Love". Hey Riffy - did you ask them about recording "Street Fighting Man"?

December 7th, 2004 08:29 PM
Riffhard Yeah Nasty I asked them about it. They said that they are all big Stones fans and always considered doing a number of different Stones tunes,but decided to give SFM a shot just for "shits and giggles". They said they gave it a fresher sound,but kept the general feel of the original. Whatever the hell that means. I was going to rip on them for covering a shit band like Brownsville Station,but I thought it would be better not have the guys slam the phone down in the middle of the interview.

After I had put the whole thing in the can I realized that I could have edited that out,but there you have it.

They were nice enough. Just not very proffesional at the art of interviewing and that can be frustrating when it comes to the editing process. Lots of ego,but not much to say if you dig.

Riffhard
December 7th, 2004 08:47 PM
Nasty Habits Bastard! How dare you diss the band that did the immortal Martian Boogie!

SLAM!

Seriously, though -- Brownsville Station may have been, uh, less good than, uh, the Flamin Groovies or something but Cub Koda was a real deal rock and roller whose tireless championing of roots music was an example we all could learn from.

Freshen the sound? Shits and giggles? After reading your comments about their thoughts about Street Fighting Man I have elected to withdraw anything nice I might have once had to say about the Crüe.
December 7th, 2004 08:57 PM
Bloozehound I can't say the Crüe is the greatest, can't say they're the worst either
December 7th, 2004 09:04 PM
Nasty Habits But the question is -- do they suck?

December 7th, 2004 09:32 PM
Bloozehound naaaaaw

sometimes they're fun, it wouldn't be correct to right'em off as mere el sux-os
December 7th, 2004 09:57 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
But the question is -- do they suck?

Yes!!!
December 7th, 2004 10:51 PM
Dan Motley Crue gigs can be quite fun even if the actual musical content sucks. And Street Fighting Man is quite an appropriate song for them to cover since all members of Motley Crue have multiple arrests for literally fighting in the streets. I am interested in hearing it though most of their covers suck too. They did a gawdawful version of White Punks On Dope the last time I saw them.
December 8th, 2004 05:03 AM
Zack [quote]Riffhard wrote:
I just hung up the phone with Nikki Sixx,Tommy Lee,and Vince Neil. I did a quick interview with them to promote their upcoming tour and greatest hits package

Riffy, do you have one of those deep "announcer voices" and say stuff like "that was the Pinkest of Floyds" when you play Comfortably Numb?
December 8th, 2004 08:53 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Zack wrote:
[quote]
Riffy, do you have one of those deep "announcer voices" and say stuff like "that was the Pinkest of Floyds" when you play Comfortably Numb?

LOL! No Zack I've never said that,but I do like to use the term Rocktoberfest in October and "The Mighty Zep" when refering to Led Zep!

Riffhard
December 8th, 2004 09:21 AM
Phog Ah, the Crue. Their first two albums were staples of my early '80s music diet. Starting with album #3 they really fell out of favor with me. I saw them live in '84 and it really was pretty fucking good. They just came out and rocked without any special effects (levitating drumset, etc..). Keep in mind I was only 12 at the time, but I still remember them fondly for that show. I could care less about this reunion tour. The magic has been gone for twenty years.
December 8th, 2004 09:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot >Say what you will about '80's metal but you gotta love the Crue!!!<

No, no I don't gotta love "The Crue". If it ain't Motorhead or Black Sabbath I ain't interested. I did lights and sound for enough shitty hair metal bands back in the day to develope an allergy to AquaNet.

Generally speaking, I don't give a shit about Motley Crue or any of those stupid hair bands. If they wanna tour, you know, whatever. Means nothing to me. If you wanna go, I hope you have fun.

I will say this though, the only thing that looks more retarded than a 40 year old "punk rocker" is a 40 year old "metalhead".
December 8th, 2004 09:47 AM
Joey
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Generally speaking, I don't give a shit about Motley Crue or any of those stupid hair bands. If they wanna tour, you know, whatever. Means nothing to me. If you wanna go, I hope you have fun.

I will say this though, the only thing that looks more retarded than a 40 year old "punk rocker" is a 40 year old "metalhead".

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20041208/ap_on_re_mi_ea/rumsfeld

December 8th, 2004 10:14 AM
Some Guy Motley Crue Rule.... in 1985.
December 9th, 2004 01:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Tommy lee
08/12/2004 - 16:33:10

Rocker Tommy Lee came close to having a gay experience with one of his pals recently - until he decided the man wasn't good looking enough.

The Motley Crue drummer, ex-husband of Heather Locklear and Pamela Anderson, found himself stuck in a very compromising position with his male friend, but immediately decided against acting on it.

He tells Blender magazine: "Just recently, I was partying with a bunch of people. And my friend - who I had a slight idea was gay , but I didn't know for sure - drove me home.

"I went to bed; he stayed in the guest room. I have a combination lock on my bedroom door. All of a sudden, it's late, I hear knocking. I'm silent. This person's really f**ked up on E. Now he starts pounding, really violently.

"I'm freaked out, thinking, 'F**k! This guy wants to come into my bedroom? No way! The pounding stops and I think, 'Okay. Good, good.'

"I go back to sleep, wake up, and this guy is rubbing my a** and touching me, and I'm like, 'What. The. F**k? Dude! Get the f**k away from me! What is wrong with you? Out!

"Maybe if he was really good looking I may have slightly considered it. But he was not my type."

Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood