ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ed Bradley is lame-o Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 5th, 2004 08:07 PM
Mel Belli Was there an intelligent, insightful question hidden somewhere in all that ass-kissing?
December 5th, 2004 08:08 PM
Mel Belli Btw, I mean during the "60 Minutes" Dylan interview.
December 5th, 2004 08:28 PM
Gazza How much of the 60 minutes of the broadcast was allocated to the Dylan interview?
December 5th, 2004 08:37 PM
parmeda Almost 20 minutes, Gazza
December 5th, 2004 08:39 PM
parmeda
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Was there an intelligent, insightful question hidden somewhere in all that ass-kissing?

Martha or SS should have done that interview...

Did you notice how Bob was fidgiting with his glasses on his lap when the camera panned back? Looked like he didn't want to be there, no?
December 5th, 2004 08:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Almost 20 minutes, Gazza

Fuck...all that hype about it and all for less than 20 minutes...

ah well..we can expect another 15 minute edited chat sometime around 2023 then...
December 5th, 2004 08:54 PM
parmeda ...lol
Gazza, 60 minutes always has 3, sometimes 4, segments on their program. Rarely, and I mean RARELY, does it devote an entire show to one subject.

Look at it this way...if it took Dylan 20 years to do an interview, maybe he wanted to "ease in" with the least amount of air-time?

I'm glad they showed of clip of his performance from his induction at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame...our lovely Mick on stage singing Like A Rolling Stone with Bob...very touching moment for me
December 5th, 2004 09:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
parmeda wrote:
...lol
Gazza, 60 minutes always has 3, sometimes 4, segments on their program. Rarely, and I mean RARELY, does it devote an entire show to one subject.

I know. I've seen the Stones '94 and '02 interviews. I figured it would be about this length. However when I asked about it in another thread a few days ago, glencar managed to get my blood pressure up by mentioning that several years ago they devoted an entire programme to an interview with ....Jon Bon Jovi.

So I knew Bob would get about 15 minutes. Makes sense. Only major cultural icons whose work has had something worth saying and who have changed the face of popular music would get the whole show to themselves....
December 5th, 2004 09:07 PM
Lazy Bones And even of the 15-20 mins, there was maybe 7-8 mins, tops, of Bob answering or elaborating a question. It was mostly narrated bits of material and bits of history that's already quite common knowledge to even the basic of Dylan fans.

Bob's information was very minimal in answering the questions, too, I thought.

The majority of the interview was discussing the "voice of a generation" in the '60s.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
December 5th, 2004 09:09 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Gazza wrote:

So I knew Bob would get about 15 minutes. Makes sense. Only major cultural icons whose work has had something worth saying and who have changed the face of popular music would get the whole show to themselves....

LOL! That explains the Bon Blow-me interview!

I thought Bob was great in the interview tonight though.

Riffhard
December 5th, 2004 09:12 PM
caro If that can console you Gazza, there's a clip up at CBS...

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

(An interview with Bradley about his interview with Dylan! Incredible!)
December 5th, 2004 09:15 PM
kath bradley is a lame-o, it's true.

remember that charlie interview when charlie said he did amphetamines and heroin? bradley looks at charlie over his glasses thoughtfully for a moment, then utters "so UP....then DOWN....

gawd....i nearly choked to death laughing. what an idiotic thing to say.....
[Edited by kath]
December 5th, 2004 09:28 PM
Mel Belli The one interesting response Bradley got out of Dylan, I thought, was when Dylan said at one point in his career he was fine with being labeled a "Zionist," a "sicko," whatever -- anything other than a "prophet" or "Voice of a Generation."

Everything else was conventional wisdom/pablum.
December 5th, 2004 11:49 PM
Booty yup Bradley's a very bad interviewer; he did Springsteen a couple years ago and, like him or not, Bruce is a great interview- thoughtful, succinct, expansive and intellegent; you can't do a "sound byte" type interview with, he just doesn't speak that way. I thought Bob seemed open to a more in depth interview and Bradley dropped the ball.
December 6th, 2004 12:32 AM
Phog Bob was pretty solid. Bradley was too fixated on the "voice of a generation" thing, but I enjoyed my TV time with Uncle Bobby.
December 6th, 2004 01:23 AM
Janis I couldn't have said it better ))))
December 6th, 2004 02:40 AM
gypsy
quote:
Janis wrote:
I couldn't have said it better ))))

Janis, I think I love you. Let's make a video.
December 6th, 2004 04:19 AM
beer Dylan seemed a bit ornery. If i was playing poker against him, i would certainly be doomed. I would try to bullshit him with a poorly executed bluff, and he would smile smuggly to himself, then smite me with a royal flush, dealt to him by God himself. then, i would humbly say, "Well it's been a real honor playing cards with ya Mr. Dylan" while putting my cowboy hat back on.(this all takes place on a river boat, by the way). Then, as I'm walking away ashamed, Bob says, "Hey kid, you're a real douchebag".

I swim away from the river boat feeling better than Ed Bradley.

- FIN -
December 6th, 2004 05:02 AM
Gazza

NEW YORK (AP) There is no living musician who has been more influential than Bob Dylan. Over a 43-year career, his distinctive twang and poetic lyrics have produced some of the most memorable songs ever written. In the '60s, his songs of protest and turmoil spoke to an entire generation.

While his life has been the subject of endless interpretation, Dylan has been largely silent. Now, at 63, he has written a memoir called "Chronicles, Volume One." Correspondent Ed Bradley got to sit down with this music legend in his first television interview in nearly 20 years.

Dylan is mysterious, elusive, fascinating – just like his music.

Over more than four decades, Dylan has produced 500 songs and more than 40 albums. Does he ever look back at the music he's written with surprise?

"I used to. I don't do that anymore. I don't know how I got to write those songs. Those early songs were almost magically written," says Dylan, who quotes from his 1964 classic, "It's Alright, Ma."

"Try to sit down and write something like that. There's a magic to that, and it's not Siegfried and Roy kind of magic, you know? It's a different kind of a penetrating magic. And you know, I did it. I did it at one time."

Does he think he can do it again today? No, says Dylan. "You can't do something forever," he says. "I did it once, and I can do other things now. But, I can't do that."

Dylan has been writing music since he was a teenager in the remote town of Hibbing, Minn. He was the eldest of two sons of Abraham and Beatty Zimmerman.

How was his childhood? "I really didn't consider myself happy or unhappy," says Dylan. "I always knew that there was something out there that I needed to get to. And it wasn't where I was at that particular moment."

In his book, Dylan writes that he came alive at 19, when he moved to Greenwich Village in New York City – which at the time was the frenetic center of the '60s counterculture movement. Within months, Dylan had signed a recording contract with Columbia Records.

"You refer to New York as the capital of the world. But when you told your father that, he thought that it was a joke," says Bradley. "Did your parents approve of you being a singer-songwriter? Going to New York?"

"No. They wouldn't have wanted that for me. But my parents never went anywhere," says Dylan. "My father probably thought the capital of the world was wherever he was at the time. It couldn't possibly be anyplace else. Where he and his wife were in their own home, that, for them, was the capital of the world."

So what made Dylan different? What pushed him out there?

"I listened to the radio a lot. I hung out in the record stores. And I slam-banged around on the guitar and played the piano and learned songs from a world which didn't exist around me," says Dylan.

He says that he knew even then that he was destined to become a music legend. "I was heading for the fantastic lights," he writes. "Destiny was looking right at me and nobody else."

What does the word "destiny" mean to Dylan?

"It's a feeling you have that you know something about yourself - nobody else does - the picture you have in your mind of what you're about will come true," says Dylan. "It's kind of a thing you kind of have to keep to your own self, because it's a fragile feeling. And if you put it out there, somebody will kill it. So, it’s best to keep that all inside."

When Bradley asked Dylan why he changed his name from Robert Zimmerman, he said that was destiny, too. "Some people – you're born, you know, the wrong names, wrong parents. I mean, that happens," says Dylan. "You call yourself what you want to call yourself. This is the land of the free."

Dylan created a world inspired by old folk music, with piercing and poetic lyrics, in songs such as "A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall." These were songs that reflected the tension and unrest of the civil rights and anti-war movements of the '60s.

It was an explosive mixture that turned Dylan, by 25, into a cultural and political icon - playing to sold out concert halls around the world, and followed by people wherever he went. Dylan was called the voice of his generation – and was actually referred to as a prophet, a messiah.

Yet Dylan says he saw himself simply as a musician: "You feel like an impostor when someone thinks you're something and you're not."

What was the image that people had of him? And what was the reality?

"The image of me was certainly not a songwriter or a singer," says Dylan. "It was more like some kind of a threat to society in some kind of way."

What was the toughest part for him personally? "It was like being in an Edgar Allan Poe story. And you're just not that person everybody thinks you are, though they call you that all the time," says Dylan. "'You're the prophet. You're the savior.' I never wanted to be a prophet or savior. Elvis maybe. I could easily see myself becoming him. But prophet? No."

He may not have seen himself as the voice of the '60s generation, but his songs were viewed as anthems that sparked a moment.

"My stuff were songs, you know? They weren't sermons," says Dylan. "If you examine the songs, I don't believe you're gonna find anything in there that says that I'm a spokesman for anybody or anything really."

"But they saw it," says Bradley.

"They must not have heard the songs," says Dylan.

"It's ironic, that the way that people viewed you was just the polar opposite of the way you viewed yourself," says Bradley.

"Isn't that something," says Dylan.

Dylan did almost anything to shatter the lofty image many people had of him. He writes that he intentionally made bad records, and once poured whiskey over his head in public.

He also writes that, as a stunt, he went to Israel and made a point of having his picture taken at the Wailing Wall wearing a skullcap. When he went to Israel, he writes that newspapers changed him overnight into a Zionist. How did this help?

"If the common perception of me out there in the public was that I was either a drunk, or I was a sicko, or a Zionist, or a Buddhist, or a Catholic, or a Mormon – all of this was better than 'Archbishop of Anarchy,'" says Dylan, referring to being considered the voice of a generation.

Dylan was especially opposed to the media, which he says were always trying to pin him down. He wrote, "The press, I figured, you lied to it." Why?

"I realized at the time that the press, the media, they're not the judge - God's the judge," says Dylan. "The only person you have to think about lying twice to is either yourself or to God. The press isn't either of them. And I just figured they're irrelevant."

Dylan tried to run away from all of that. In the mid-'60s, he retreated with his wife and three young children to Woodstock, N.Y. But even there, he couldn’t escape the legions of fans who descended on his home, begging for an audience with the legend himself. He says people would actually come to the house, wanting to "discuss things with me, politics and philosophy and organic farming and things."

What did Dylan know about organic farming? "Nothing," he says. "Not a thing."

What did he mean when he wrote that "the funny thing about fame is that nobody believes it's you"?

"People, they'll say, 'Are you who I think you are?' And you'll say, 'I don't know.' Then, they'll say, 'You're him.' And you'll say, 'OK, you know, that – yes,'" says Dylan. "And then, the next thing they'll say, 'Well, no, you know? Like are you really him? You're not him.' And, you know, that can go on and on."

He says he doesn't like to eat in restaurants because of all the attention he gets. And he says he has never gotten use to it.

At his peak, fame was taking its toll on Dylan. He was heading toward a divorce from his wife, Sara. And in concerts, he wore white makeup to mask himself. But his songs revealed the pain.

About his ex-wife, Dylan says: "She was with me back then, through thick and thin, you know? And it just wasn't the kind of life that she had ever envisioned for herself, any more the than the kind of life that I was living, that I had envisioned for mine."

By the mid-1980s, Dylan felt he was burned out and over the hill. He wrote some pretty harsh words about himself: "I'm a '60s troubadour, a folk rock relic. A wordsmith from bygone days. I'm in the bottomless pit of cultural oblivion."

"I'd seen all these titles written about me," says Dylan. "I believed it. You know? I wasn't getting any thrill out of performing. I thought it might be time to close it up. … I had thought I'd just put it away for a while. But then I started thinking, 'That's enough, you know?'"

But within a few years, Dylan said he had recaptured his creative spark, and went back on the road. He performed more than 100 concerts a year. And he won three Grammy awards in 1998 for his album, "Time Out Of Mind."

At 63, Dylan remains a voice as unique and powerful as any there has ever been in American music.

His fellow musicians paid tribute to him when he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, joining him in a rousing rendition of his most famous song, "Like a Rolling Stone." That song was recently named by Rolling Stone magazine as the No. 1 song of all time. And he has 12 other songs on their list of the Top 500.

"That must be good to have as part of your legacy," says Bradley.

"Oh, maybe this week. But you know, the list, they change names, and you know, quite frequently, really. I don't really pay much attention to that," says Dylan. "This week it is. But who's to say how long that's gonna last?"

His success, however, has lasted a long time. Dylan is still performing all of his songs on tour, and he says he doesn't take any of it for granted.

So why is he still out there?

"It goes back to that destiny thing. I mean, I made a bargain with it, you know, long time ago. And I'm holding up my end … to get where I am now," says Dylan.

And with whom did he make the bargain? "With the chief commander," says Dylan, laughing. "In this earth and in the world we can't see."

Dylan has been nominated this year for the Nobel Prize in literature for his songwriting. His new book has been a bestseller for the past seven weeks. It was published by Simon & Schuster, which is owned by Viacom, the parent company of CBS. Dylan is planning to write two more volumes of his memoirs.

(© 2004 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

[Edited by Gazza]
December 6th, 2004 07:32 AM
Mr Hess The Simpsons were more interesting than Bob's interview.
December 6th, 2004 07:54 AM
Factory Girl I enjoyed the interview. Bob appeared ornery. He's playing the press - he needs them to promote his book.

December 6th, 2004 11:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
December 6th, 2004 03:35 PM
Martha Bob ROCKS! I particularly related to what he said about his family (his folks never going ANYWHERE) and what he said about not getting the name your meant to have or getting the wrong parents.....

Oh can I relate! :-)

Bob is an Imp. Never forget that.

He looks and sounds fantastic. :-)

Gary this is coming to you in tomorrows mail! :-)

Pammy I would have LOVED to interview Bob! I need you to be my publicity manager!

xxoo,
M
December 6th, 2004 04:05 PM
Saint Sway Dylan is fuckin cool!!

nothing too insightful from the interview. But did anyone expect Bob to really open up?

Dylan is so cool though. It was great just to watch an interview with him.
December 6th, 2004 04:44 PM
Riffhard "I realized at the time that the press, the media, they're not the judge - God's the judge," says Dylan. "The only person you have to think about lying twice to is either yourself or to God. The press isn't either of them. And I just figured they're irrelevant."

That line right there is priceless! It reads,and sounded,like something right off of "Bringing it all Back Home". I thought he was great in the interview. He sounded like the wise old sage that he refuses to publicly admit that he is.

The sky's not yellow,it's chicken!

Riffhard
December 6th, 2004 04:49 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
He sounded like the wise old sage that he refuses to publicly admit that he is.

definately

also, in case I hadnt mentioned it yet, he sounded fuckin cool. Bob just oozes cool.
December 6th, 2004 04:53 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

The sky's not yellow,it's chicken!

riffh - if yer meaning to quote bob - it's the "sun" not the "sky"
December 6th, 2004 05:17 PM
kath that's right..the sun's not yellow it's chicken....
December 6th, 2004 05:18 PM
Riffhard
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

riffh - if yer meaning to quote bob - it's the "sun" not the "sky"

Right you are SIA! It's been awhile since I gave that one a spin! Just love that lyric though!

I liked when he was refering to It's Alright Ma as if even he was stunned that he could come up with those incredible lyrics. I guess it just goes to prove Keith's belief that you don't write songs. You recieve them and retransmit them!

Riffhard
December 7th, 2004 01:21 AM
parmeda Thanks for posting the interview, Gazza...
But I have to tell ya, one of the most interesting things that Bob said, early on in the interview, wasn't in that transcript!

If I remember correctly, part of the intro was Dylan doing "Blowin' In The Wind"...and Bradley first asked him something like 'Where did THAT come from?'. Dylan's response was "...it came from the well spring of creativity." The look on Ed's face was priceless...LOL!

I could be mistaken...I didn't record it to double check.
Somebody check it out for me?
It's one of those things that's gonna drive me nuts...

Martha...I would love to be your publicity manager!
If there's a will (and I KNOW there is, lol)...you can bet yer ass I'll find a fucking way!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood