ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New IZZY STRADLIN biography Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 4th, 2004 03:13 PM
Vinyl kills According to Black Market Publishing (web site), "Dust N' Bones: The Untold Story of Izzy Stradlin" is now available for pre-order from them for $21.00, payable in cash, check or money order.

The book's official release date is February 17, 2005, but the customers who pre-order the book now will be eligible for a special of two books for $30.00 deal, a $12 savings.

You can pre-order the book by e-mailing a confirmation of your pre-order to Black Market Publishing at [email protected] or [email protected].

They expect to begin shipping pre-orders in the middle to end of January 2005.
December 4th, 2004 03:16 PM
sirmoonie Cool. Tx, V-killsie. That man had/has rock and roll genius in him. Dust and Bones is a great title.
December 4th, 2004 03:52 PM
Bloozehound yeah dude

Izzy rocks
December 4th, 2004 04:07 PM
Saint Sway Izzy's cool. He's a true Keith disciple. I'm excited to read this. Hopefully he doesnt hold back.

actually I'd be more psyched for Izzy to tour. But the book will suffice for now
December 4th, 2004 06:40 PM
Navin
He was just another Ron Wood wannabe as much as Slash was another Jimmy Page wannabe
December 4th, 2004 07:03 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Navin wrote:

He was just another Ron Wood wannabe as much as Slash was another Jimmy Page wannabe

ahahahahaha....may be Ronnie and Izzy should record or play something together?
December 4th, 2004 07:23 PM
Mel Belli I can only imagine what a literary masterpiece this will be...
December 4th, 2004 07:39 PM
Vinyl kills
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

ahahahahaha....may be Ronnie and Izzy should record or play something together?

They already did! Ronnie plays on Izzy's first LP.

http://www.snakepit.org/izzy.html
December 4th, 2004 08:26 PM
Riffhard I always said that the moment Izzy left G'N'R that band was done. Izzy was the true piss and vinegar element that lit the rock and roll fire under the ass of that band. Guns and Roses,sadly,were a band that I only appreciated after their best work was long behind them. Izzy,however,certainly is a true disciple of the old Stones/Faces debuachery of excess. The JuJu Hounds first album is great in it's sloppy rock and roll spirit.

For those who say that Izzy is some kind of poser I would strongly recommend that you take a good long look at what is passing for rock and roll these days. Izzy is cool and he's got it down. The JuJu Hounds were a pefect example of the direction that Izzy was thinking. If only Axl weren't such a phsycotic egomaniac who knows what could have happened with G'n'R's. Axl ruined what could have been a great band. Too bad,but at least we got a great album out of Izzy.

Rick Richards was the rythym player for the Hounds. You know him best for his work with the Georgia Sattelites. He was a good friend of mine when I lived in Atlanta working for a classic rock station(Z93). The Sattelites were hands down the best "bar band" I have ever seen. Trust me,I've seen alot,and nobody got people shaking their asses the way they did! Their ruin was "Keep Your Hands to Yourself". It's a great song,but it got played out on radio around the country. Too bad again. Because when they used to play that song at the bars(long before it was released)everyone knew Atlanta had something special. They did the most rauckus version of "My Wife" that I have ever heard,and that includes The Who's original version! Man O' man the memories of hanging at Hedgins(an old Atlanta bar)and getting juiced up and sloppy with the Sattelites!

Izzy knows his music and he only recruited from the best for the JuJu Hounds! Coincidently,the Sattelites were originally known in Atlanta as the Hell Hounds,but when they went national they had to give that name up. Another band had already trademarked it.

Rifffhard
December 4th, 2004 09:33 PM
SheRat I have always said the same thing, Riffhard. Izzy was the heart of that band. All the best songs on either Illusion are Izzy's--with the lone exception of Duff's tribute to Johnny Thunders. Izzy's subsequent albums after the JuJu Hounds are also solid records. But MAN, can I get on a Shuffle It All jag, drunk at four in the morning. I've always had a crush on him. Pictures examined closely by 17 year old girls revealed that he is also pretty well hung.

Amusingly, I just posted a link over there ======> to Dan Baird's website. He is now in the Yayhoos, and they're pretty good.

I'm totally jealous you saw the Satellites back in the day. I would have loved to see them. When I was a little punk in Chicago, my dad would come pick me up from clubbing and I'd be drunk (and I'm pretty sure he had a good buzz going too) and we'd listen to a live show of theis he'd taped off the radio. Keep Your Hands to Yourself would come on and he'd bang the steering wheel and we'd sing. That's father/daughter bonding in the Rat family.
[Edited by SheRat]
December 5th, 2004 02:56 AM
Navin http://www.timeisonourside.com/musictaste.html

"I admire their guts. But too much posing. Their look - it's like there's one out of this band, one looks like Jimmy (Page), one looks like Ronnie. Too much copycat, too much posing for me"

- Keith Richards, 1988
December 5th, 2004 04:30 AM
Dan
quote:
Navin wrote:
http://www.timeisonourside.com/musictaste.html

"I admire their guts. But too much posing. Their look - it's like there's one out of this band, one looks like Jimmy (Page), one looks like Ronnie. Too much copycat, too much posing for me"

- Keith Richards, 1988

So, Keith just happened to have his head up his ass when he made that quote. Probably predictably inebriated or something. Someone probably showed him a picture. Not much posing where Izzy is concerned, he usually hid in the shadows onstage anyway.

Izzy was the true songwriting talent in GNR. Thats the real reason Axl has never been able to release another album. With maybe one or two exceptions, he wrote all their best songs. He is a total recluse though, along the lines of *gasp* Axl or George Harrison. We wont be hearing much from him, would be skeptical that someone could even write a biography about him but it could be interesting,
December 5th, 2004 04:30 PM
Bloozehound Izzy's first 3 records are excellent rock albums, particularly the first one, JuJu Hounds, it's a true masterpiece.

Shuffle It All is the shit, Train Tracks & Somebody Knocking rock serious ass!

As for Keith dissin Izzy, whatever, don't mean a damn thing. Keith can be a cantankerous old fart, don't mean he's always correct, besides he seems more interested in being the sappy Ballad King these days instead of the Riffmeister, maybe that explains his disdain for rockers like Izzy
December 5th, 2004 05:15 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Izzy's first 3 records are excellent rock albums, particularly the first one, JuJu Hounds, it's a true masterpiece.

Shuffle It All is the shit, Train Tracks & Somebody Knocking rock serious ass!

As for Keith dissin Izzy, whatever, don't mean a damn thing. Keith can be a cantankerous old fart, don't mean he's always correct, besides he seems more interested in being the sappy Ballad King these days instead of the Riffmeister, maybe that explains his disdain for rockers like Izzy

Good point Bloozy..
bucket o trouble rules too
December 5th, 2004 06:15 PM
corgi37 Man, thats going to be a short boook.

1986-89 - Joined a band and got real big. Met lots of famous people. Had fun with various lingerie models. - total: 105 pages.

89-2004 - Slept in - 3 pages.
[Edited by corgi37]
December 5th, 2004 06:49 PM
Snappy McJack I've always felt that "14 Years" is the best song from the "Use Your Illusion" set.
December 5th, 2004 08:54 PM
Soldatti Izzy and Slash are my two favorite members of GNR, but on solo records Izzy kicks Slash's ass.
December 5th, 2004 09:09 PM
corgi37 Would Izzy be the Mick Taylor of the heavy metal world?
December 5th, 2004 09:44 PM
Vinyl kills Izzy rulezzzzzz Steven Tyler wanted to write song songs with him a while back but it never materialized. He was also gonna fill Johnny Thunder's shoes in the NEW YORK DOLLS reunion tour but backed out.

December 6th, 2004 10:26 AM
gimmekeef Izzy still around......?....hey my own book is coming out soon....12 pages of my best Rocks Off posts..hoping to sell at least 5 copies....
December 6th, 2004 11:39 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
Izzy,however,certainly is a true disciple of the old Stones/Faces debuachery of excess. The JuJu Hounds first album is great in it's sloppy rock and roll spirit.

For those who say that Izzy is some kind of poser I would strongly recommend that you take a good long look at what is passing for rock and roll these days. Izzy is cool and he's got it down.

RIffhard nailed my sentiments right there. Izzy is the real deal. I dont know what members at this website listen to but, if your a true fan of Stones/Faces/Wino's rock, then you are doing your ears and your R&R soul an injustice by not checking out Izzy's solo records. Esp, the Ju Ju Hound album and 117 Degrees.

too bad hes such a recluse. I've got an Izzy bootleg that rocks so frickin hard. He really needs to get back on the road.

he did manage to get out for a night last year to check out Rich Robinson (of the Black Crowes) solo gig

I concur also with Riffhards praise of the Georgia Satellites and SheRats praise of the Yayhoos. Too many people dismiss the Satellites as being a one hit campy number - KYHTY. But they were a true rock and roll kick ass band. Their live shows were the most fun you could have. Rick Richards is an amazing slide player whose talents even out do Woody at his slide playing best in the Faces days. And Dan Baird is a solid riffmeister on the telecaster. The combo was pure Stones!

sadly the Satellites rarely play together anymore. And Izzy is adverse to touring. But do check out the Yayhoos. Good old rock and roll featuring Dan Baird from the Satellites and Roscoe Amble from Steve Earles band.

December 6th, 2004 11:44 AM
Saint Sway OK. Listen hard.

my advice to Rocks Off members that need some Stones/Faces/Wino's rock-n-roll to hold them over until the next dissapointing Stones album finally gets released is to get their asses out to their local record store and pick up any - or all - of these kick ass records by bands mentioned in the above posts:

Izzy Stradlin 'The Ju Ju Hounds'
Izzy Stradlin '117 Degrees'
Georgia Satellites 'The Best Of'
Georgia Satellites 'Georgia Satellites'
Georgia Satellites 'In The Land Of Salvation & Sin'
The Yayhoos 'Fear Not The Obviouis'
Rich Robinson 'Paper'

now go out, pick up any of those CDs and fix yourself a cocktail or seven and crank your speakers and rock out like you havent in years

you're welcome,
Saint Sway
December 6th, 2004 03:27 PM
SheRat
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
OK. Listen hard.

my advice to Rocks Off members that need some Stones/Faces/Wino's rock-n-roll to hold them over until the next dissapointing Stones album finally gets released is to get their asses out to their local record store and pick up any - or all - of these kick ass records by bands mentioned in the above posts:

Izzy Stradlin 'The Ju Ju Hounds'
Izzy Stradlin '117 Degrees'
Georgia Satellites 'The Best Of'
Georgia Satellites 'Georgia Satellites'
Georgia Satellites 'In The Land Of Salvation & Sin'
The Yayhoos 'Fear Not The Obviouis'
Rich Robinson 'Paper'

now go out, pick up any of those CDs and fix yourself a cocktail or seven and crank your speakers and rock out like you havent in years

you're welcome,
Saint Sway

Thanks, Saint Sway. I'd not heard about the Robinson album.

I also highly recommend Izzy's third record "On Down the Road" which I believe you can only get as an import, but it's still pretty good.

[Edited by SheRat]
[Edited by SheRat]
December 6th, 2004 03:52 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
SheRat wrote:

Thanks, Saint Sway. I'd not heard about the Robinson album.

I also highly recommend Izzy's third record "On Down the Road" which I believe you can only get as an import, but it's still pretty good.

well be sure to check Rich Robinsons record out!! Based on your post above - and your interest in late night drunken 'Shuffle It All' jags - I'd say you'd probably love it!

Rich is not blessed with his brother Chris's pipes - but who is?. But Rich is blessed with the ability to riff a telecasater like Keef. And the songs are really good! He's a great songwriter. Quality stuff. Good mix of rockers and laid back retro stuff.

I found an import version of Izzys ODTR online once. But it was like $30. Which is nuts. I dont know why he doesnt release his records in the States anymore?
December 7th, 2004 03:35 PM
Honky Tonker Izzy was at Ronnie's Atlanta show in the early 90's with the guy from the Georgia Satellites. They didn't play but were at the bar at the Roxy. The GS's were a great bar band as earlier posted. They did "Don't Lie To Me" by Chuck Berry as well as other Stonesy covers and many Stones/Faces/Humble Pie sounding originals.
December 7th, 2004 03:50 PM
duck People please check out izzys last 2 cds. river and on down the road. They are expensive but worth the 35 dollars, and in my opinion are better than the first 3. The band can play anything, rock,country rockabilly,surf,reggae,metal and acoustic. Core band includes izzy and rick richards from georgia satellites,duff from gnr Ian mclagen and taz bentley.
December 7th, 2004 04:08 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Honky Tonker wrote:
Izzy was at Ronnie's Atlanta show in the early 90's with the guy from the Georgia Satellites. They didn't play but were at the bar at the Roxy. The GS's were a great bar band as earlier posted. They did "Don't Lie To Me" by Chuck Berry as well as other Stonesy covers and many Stones/Faces/Humble Pie sounding originals.

Honky Tonker you were at that show?! Sowas I. I lived about a half mile from the Roxy in Buckhead. Coincidently,that's about half a mile away from the former "Hedgins Bar" as well. That is where the Ga. Sats used to gig every Friday night for a couple of years. Did you ever go there? Lots of fun going on at that joint boy let me tell ya!

I did not see Izzy or Rick at that show,but I did see Paul Stanley from Kiss in the beer line about three people behind me! I'd say that was probably a learning experiance for him. LOL! After the show I got to hang with Mac,Bernard and Chuck Leavell for awhile. Ronnie was there too,but only for a quick meet and greet for VIPs and their friends. Got a picture with him and a quick handshake. Izzy and Rick are friends of Ronnie and Keith to this day.

Great show huh?

Riffhard
December 10th, 2004 12:19 AM
Snappy McJack Izzy! Izzy! Izzy!
December 10th, 2004 03:11 AM
padre Yes, people! Georgia Satellites were the best three-chord rock band since The Faces and I rank Land of Salvation and Sin and thier 1st album right alongside Exile and Sticky Fingers. They were true Chuck Berry disciples.
One thing that differed them from Stones/Faces copycats were that they got their kicks obviously from the same roots as The Stones (Berry, Waters,etc), not from The Stones. That's a big difference.
Rick Richards has an amazing slidetone and Dan Baird's lyrics tell actual stories in the same way Mr.Berry did. If I'd have to name three true disciples of Chuck Berry, they'd be Keef, Dave Edmunds and Dan Baird. Lyricwise I'd include Bon Scott.
The Georgia Satellites did reform without Baird a few years back. They were a good-rocking barband, but missed Dan's wits. Just like Ronnie or Keith with their solo stuff.
The Georgia Satellites have a small but very enthusiastic and faithfull fanbase in Finland and I'm proud to be a part of it!
Oh, and Izzy's pretty cool, too.
December 10th, 2004 03:43 AM
Mathijs >He is a total recluse though, along the lines of *gasp* >Axl or George Harrison. We wont be hearing much from him, >would be skeptical that someone could even write a >biography about him but it could be interesting,

Actually he is not that big recluse, for the last 10 years he's bee doing shows on and off. He played Scandinavia two years ago, did some shows in the US too. He played with Slash and Duff last year in LA, and been a guest on the Snakepit and AC/DC tour several times. Only thing is he is keeping it small scale, and normally there's hardly any fanfare around his shows.

Mathijs
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood