ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I used to think the 81 tour was tame until.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 2nd, 2004 08:59 PM
rocker I got my discs today! The only thing i had to judge it off of was "Still Life" and "Lets Spend the Night Together" Movie. Boy, are those cleaned up and slicked up productions compared to the real thing! These bootlegs rock, and they are just as raw as the 78 tour! i epsecially like "Down the Road Apiece"

Thanks Voodoo Wonderman man!

Keep Rockin,

Rocker
December 2nd, 2004 09:36 PM
telecaster Rocker. '81 Tour was the last, as joey and I call it,
"shot and a beer tour." The last great rock n roll tour

There is some great music there

Guitars loud, bourbon flowing like a river, Keith singing backups, drunk fans, not the yuppie fans of today, oh my..

December 2nd, 2004 09:57 PM
Soldatti The '81 tour was the last time that the Stones were a DIRTY ROCK GROUP, almost no back-up band, fast songs, funny clothes, Keith on jeans...
December 2nd, 2004 10:03 PM
Steel Wheels I totally dug the extreme sloppiness of the entire thing - Jagger's hoarse voice, the booze dripping from everything, the fast paced performance of every song.

I loved the Stones, no matter what year.

December 2nd, 2004 10:03 PM
rocker the only bad thing on this tour was micks silly football costume, has to be his worst wardrobe for a tour
December 2nd, 2004 10:18 PM
Steel Wheels The 73 outfits were God aweful.

The 81 pay-per-view was the first non-Steel Wheels concert I saw. At first I did not like the performance. It was too fast, and each song sounded the same.
December 2nd, 2004 10:55 PM
Zack The opening Philly show is the most outrageously, hysterically sloppy show by any group I've ever heard.

Ronnie cared more about losing his ring than the performance, and Keith hit more bum notes than in his entire career previously. When he picked up the wrongly-tuned guitar for Satisfaction, and it came out, just wrong, it's fucking hilarious.

It's the most fun listen of just about any Stones show I've got, to hear them struggling so after all those years. Drugs were prohibited backstage at the time, but the Jack wasn't. I think that's why it all came out, er, drunkenly.
December 2nd, 2004 11:21 PM
BILL PERKS 81 WAS THE HIGH POINT OF THE STONES CAREER..I'D RATHER LISTEN TO THAT TOUR MORE THAN ANY OTHER..THE BAND WAS STILL LIVIN ON THE EDGE AND IT SHOWS IN THE MUSIC
December 2nd, 2004 11:29 PM
steel wls I missed the 81 tour. The movie Lets Spend The Night Together got me hooked. I remember watching it every time HBO played it. I love Still Life. Besides Stripped, its my favorite live cd. Going To A Go Go (great video), and Time Is On My Side are great.
December 3rd, 2004 12:34 AM
Madafaka I've told you here once, 81/82 tour was the B E S T! Stones sounds raw!
December 3rd, 2004 02:29 AM
marko Well indeed that is!82 was bit more mellow sounding.But
still raw.Not so fast as 81.
But,best summer tour for me,82.
December 3rd, 2004 08:07 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Drugs were prohibited backstage at the time

says who..?
December 3rd, 2004 09:03 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

says who..?

wasnt Ronnie using but had to keep it on the d/l for fear of being booted? thought I read that somewhere.
December 3rd, 2004 09:08 AM
nankerphelge They toured in '81??
December 3rd, 2004 06:17 PM
69 Chevy I went to both of those Philly shows. The Eagles jersey Jagger wore went over well with the crowd. I believe Journey got booed off stage the first show. Tickets were about 20 bucks and the field was GA.
December 3rd, 2004 08:34 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I've told you here once, 81/82 tour was the B E S T! Stones sounds raw!

Agree Madafaka, that tour was fan-tas-tic but the 72-73 was better!
December 3rd, 2004 09:38 PM
glencar
quote:
69 Chevy wrote:
I went to both of those Philly shows. The Eagles jersey Jagger wore went over well with the crowd. I believe Journey got booed off stage the first show. Tickets were about 20 bucks and the field was GA.

I think tix were $30 but it was a lot of money back then in any case. And yes, Journey got booed heavily but they managed to complete their set. Steve Perry came out & said, "Thanks for making us have the #1 album in the country!" Booing was a reflexive action. I just got these CDs last week myself & they sound mighty good. I was miles from the stage but I remember seeing all these shoes up on stage & Mick doing some "housekeeping" in the middle of the show. Great fun.
December 4th, 2004 06:04 AM
Zack
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

says who..?

I believe virtually everything I read.
December 4th, 2004 06:34 AM
F505
quote:
rocker wrote:
I got my discs today! The only thing i had to judge it off of was "Still Life" and "Lets Spend the Night Together" Movie. Boy, are those cleaned up and slicked up productions compared to the real thing! These bootlegs rock, and they are just as raw as the 78 tour! i epsecially like "Down the Road Apiece"

Thanks Voodoo Wonderman man!

Keep Rockin,

Rocker

100 per cent correct!
December 4th, 2004 04:09 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Rocker. '81 Tour was the last, as joey and I call it,
"shot and a beer tour." The last great rock n roll tour

There is some great music there

Guitars loud, bourbon flowing like a river, Keith singing backups, drunk fans, not the yuppie fans of today, oh my..

word.

well said brother. I miss the R&R attitude of that tour.
December 5th, 2004 09:39 PM
corgi37 I still havent forgiven the ass-holes for not touring Oz in 81-82. It was absolutely unforgiveable. Because i tell you, they would have just simply taken over the country. It would have been awesome. Kiss toured here around 1980 or so, and it was the biggest thing at the time. Oh, maybe Fleetwood Mac in late 70's. The Stones would have topped them all.

LSTNT was actually re-titled "Time is on our side" for Aussie release. I saw it at the Forum theatre with my beloved ex-girlfriend (NOT: The Forum was a cinema back then, then a religious evangilist centre, and now a live-theatre. Jet played there not long ago).

I like Jaggers football get-up from that tour. It was just an expansion on the jump suits of the 70's. Plus, it gave him something the Yanks could identify with. Did he wear a different top for each state they played? You know, like a local team and all.

Beats the hell out of the 89 gear!

December 6th, 2004 07:45 AM
marko Beats the hell out of the 89 gear!

HELL YEA it does!Beats the tour as well.But 1989 wasn´t SO
BAD as people think!I have wondered too,why they did not
come to down under in 81-82 tour,or even 89-90,they were in
Japan in 1990.
December 6th, 2004 08:57 AM
peterdv helll, this one the 81, God how i wished many times that i could have been there, but being for Belgium, age 11..never heard of the Stones before, made this not possible..

honestly, best yr-tour in Stonesland ever, raw dirty,a lot of f**k ups, up tempo (not a lame as they play now)

81 ..hmmmmmmmmmmm

Peter
December 6th, 2004 09:48 AM
Factory Girl Which '81 tree is this? I rec'd nothing yet.
December 6th, 2004 10:23 AM
Gazza The first one, I presume (hartford, Chicago, Philly, San Francisco)
December 6th, 2004 10:29 AM
Factory Girl thanks, G. I'm good on that one.
December 6th, 2004 11:17 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
thanks, G. I'm good on that one.

and info on parts 2 + 3 are here (scroll down to the bottom of the paage)...

1. Martha sent 11/20; rec'd 11/24
-----> a. Violentkind rec`d from Martha 11/29
----------> i. Bruni sent 12/3
----------> ii. jpenn11 sent 12/3
----------> iii. Factory Girl sent 12/3
December 6th, 2004 11:54 AM
marko But FG you need Kansas City as well,12/14.81 show.
December 6th, 2004 02:10 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
marko wrote:
But FG you need Kansas City as well,12/14.81 show.

the 12/14 gig, and the 4 discs of ride like the wind, should be on the way to her - she should receive them any day, according to the tree structure i copied and pasted above...
December 7th, 2004 06:44 AM
Jack of Hearts I remember the last show of that tour, in Leeds with Kieth left stage in a solo on YCAGWYW and a person with spliff leaned out of a tree to pass to Kieth, much to the amusement of the crowd.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood