ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1976 Christopher Sykes
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I Just Have To Post This Picture of Freddie! Return to archive
December 2nd, 2004 12:07 AM
Barney Fife It was taken on the pop show The!!!!Beat in 1966.

Dig the intensity. Lots of perspiration coming off of that brow.

If you're a Freddie Fan (as any guitarist who likes blues should be, you can get the DVD here:

http://guitarvideos.com/dvd/13014dvd.htm

I got it on VHS years ago on a tip from my buddy Don O. in Texas who is the world's number one fan of Freddie King.

Review from: http://guitarvideos.com/reviews/13014.htm

This is almost too good to be true. It certainly ranks with the most important film/video discoveries in blues history. In 1966 a Black music variety show called The !!!! Beat ran for 26 segments and was shown in about a dozen major cities in the U.S. where there was a large blues and soul market. It was intelligently and tastefully done with live performances (no lip-synching) from some of the best Black artists on the scene at that time. Little Milton, Etta James, Joe Tex, Don Covay, Al “TNT” Braggs, Bobby Bland, Jr. Parker, Ike and Tina Turner and Freddie King were just some of the featured performers and Freddie became a regular guest, making several appearances at the behest of the show’s gregarious host “Hoss” Allen from WBAC, one of the most popular deejays on the continent. Allen was usually the only White face to be seen on the show, so it really was a revolutionary piece of work.

A TV show, put together by Blacks for a Black audience (every hip White kid on the continent was watching it too) in 1966 and it seemed even too good to be true back then. It blew the hell out of American Bandstand, Hullabaloo, and Shindig, that’s for sure. And to top things off the live band on the show was led by none other than Gatemouth Brown and he was at his peak, providing ass-kicking support for all the guests and really stretching out on their own whenever they got the chance. Gatemouth really looks like he’s enjoying himself on this video, a collection of winning performances by Freddie King and what’s extra special is that most of the 14 tunes are of the obscure (somewhat) variety such as Funny Bone, Sitting On A Boat Dock, She Put The Whammy On Me and San-Ho-Zay. Watching and listening to two of the greatest Texas bluesmen of all time work out together is such a rare treat that you’ll find yourself watching this over and over again. Crank it up full volume and do the Boogaloo in your living room. Hoss Allen’s a real treat as a host too (whatever happened to him?) and the 60 minute tape closes off with 3 tunes recorded in 1973 at a concert in Sweden. This tape is absolutely mandatory viewing and a treat for the eyes and ears. 6 bottles for the video of the year.
December 2nd, 2004 05:14 AM
J.J.Flash Thank you "peça rara" for the tip. I know I should have more knowledge about Freddie King. I know that Keith always enjoyed his stuff.

Cheers!
December 2nd, 2004 10:49 AM
mac_daddy nice post - thanks.
December 2nd, 2004 01:18 PM
Nasty Habits Excellent post.

That picture is wailsville!
December 2nd, 2004 04:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot Freddy is the fuckin' BOMB!

I have a couple of radio show boots of Freddy that are, in the words of Nasty Habits, "wailsville".

BB is only about the 3rd best "King", IMO. Freddy and Albert are way better.
December 2nd, 2004 05:08 PM
jpenn11 Great video. The picture is missing the impressive Clarence Gatemouth Brown, who was the house guitarist.

Watch the host shake Freddie's hand. I feared for Freddie as it looked like the host was going to rip off his arm or separate his hand from his arm.
December 8th, 2004 11:54 PM
Barney Fife Thanks for the positive responses. Here's a picture of Freddie teaching Eric how to play guitar:

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood