ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Strokes Last Nite Return to archive
12-07-03 07:47 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well i got to see my favourite US band last nite and i wasn't dissapointed, despite all the pre-show problems!

Firstly, the train journey in London was 3 hours longet than usual because some selfish bastard comitted suicide off a bridge and hit our train. The train went over him. The police came, ambulances came, helicopters came, the lights went out and we had to get a replacement driver because the current one was too traumatised by the suicide. I'm not suprised, the body did fall in front of him.

Anyway, i will never go to The Alexandra Palace again. It is a lovely old building but it is too far away from Central London. It is not an arena venue at all. The Strokes plaid in what i could only describe as "a really big hall" No seats.

It was a nightmare getting home. The supposed free shuttle bus service from the Palace to the tube station wasn't in action and none of the buses seemed to be stoping. By the time we finaly got to Victoria station, we had missed our last train. The next one wasn't untill 5.35am! They were about to shut the station too. SO, i paid �75 to get an ilegal taxi ride back to where i live.

ANYWAY, THE GIG! They were fucking brilliant. So load too. I still have tinitus in my left ear! Just getting to see them in real life was amazing and they played their FIRST EVER cover version. The Clash song "ClampDown" Great rendition too!

Favourite quote from the gig was when Julian said "Thanks for spending this fine evening with us five fags"

Alex
12-07-03 10:31 AM
glencar We had trouble getting back to Central London after the Stones Twickenham show. They close The Tube way too early. But it sounds like the Strokes were fun at least. I liked what I saw in Hartford, CT last year.
12-07-03 10:33 AM
Phog HTM,

Sounds like an interesting evening, to say the least. Glad you got to see the Strokes. Despite all the hype (and backlash) I think they're a great rock band. Their new album is pretty fucking nice. Cheers!!
12-07-03 11:00 AM
Factory Girl Alex!!!

I'm sorry you were traumatized!!

What songs did they play??
12-07-03 11:25 AM
Honky Tonk Man I wasn't truamatised, just pissed off!

Im not too sure of the running order, but they didn't play "Is This It" (the song, not the album) or "Meet Me In The Bathroom". I think they played pretty much everything else though. Julian also did a duet with this girl. I have no idea what the song was! I can't remember what they opend with, but they ended with "Take It Or Leave It"

Alex
12-07-03 03:20 PM
Factory Girl LOL, Alex. Who was the girl he dueted with-was she a (known) singer or just some chick??

PS. I hope Jules doesn't have same taste in chicks as his drummer. Even old dudes at my work don't think Drew Barrymore is cute!
12-07-03 03:53 PM
glencar I find Drew Barrymore incredibly stoopit but still kind of cute.
12-07-03 03:55 PM
Factory Girl The old men tell me she droops.
12-07-03 05:09 PM
Honky Tonk Man I got the impresssion she was a member of the audience. Maybe she was hanging around backstage and Julian took a shine to her. It didn't seem like anyone in the audience had heard of her.

I don't think much of Drew Barrymoore either. I would describe her as "flabby" Though "droopy" will do.

Alex
12-07-03 05:14 PM
glencar I got the impresssion she was a member of the audience.

Just like Courteney Cock in that Springsteen vid!
12-07-03 05:21 PM
Factory Girl Oh, let Jules play. Besides, I'd much rather he play with girls.

Yes, Alex- "Droopy Drew" it is. She wasn't even good ehough for Tom Green! Yikes!
12-07-03 05:35 PM
glencar She dumped him though.