ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 34 years ago today on a cold californian night... Return to archive
12-06-03 07:07 PM
Monkey Woman Altamont, the free concert, etc.

Here's the article from the RS.com timeline:

The Altamont Raceway is chosen as the venue just 24 hours before the concert is due to begin. San Francisco authorities had refused to grant permission for the band to play in the Golden Gate Park and the replacement venue � Sears Point Racetrack � pulled out at the 11th hour. Santana kicks off the day�s entertainment, which also features Jefferson Airplane, the Flying Burrito Brothers, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. By midday, a crowd of 300,000 gathers to see the show, but from the very start there�s an atmosphere of foreboding, which often breaks out into violence during the day. The Hells Angels, who were hired as security, are indiscriminately beating audience members with pool cues. The Stones had a more sanguine and forgiving perspective of the Hells Angels, based on the more peaceful British chapter of the Hells Angels present at the Hyde Park gig. They were advised by The Grateful Dead that it would be better to �employ� them on this occasion rather than having them just turn up. When the Airplane�s singer/guitarist Marty Balin leaps into the audience to save a fan from a beating, he too is punched to the ground. Darkness falls before the Stones finally hit the stage and launch into �Jumpin� Jack Flash.� Mick has to continually stop the show and ask for the Angels to move from the front of the stage and stop beating up members of the audience. Halfway through �Under My Thumb,� people on the stage see the glint of a gun muzzle aimed at the stage. Hells Angels immediately chase the would-be assailant, 18-year-old Meredith Hunter, through the crowd. Hunter is beaten and stabbed repeatedly. He later dies through his injuries. The band is ignorant to all these events, and restart �Under My Thumb.� With the final chords of �Street Fighting Man� the band race off the stage and into a waiting helicopter. With the concert at Altamont, the summer of love and the innocence of the Sixties officially comes to an abrupt and tragic end. The Maysles� film remains a harrowing reminder of that day.

http://rollingstones.com/news/indexdtl.php?newsID=197

It's not the best Stones memory but someone had to post it. R.I.P. Meredith Hunter.
[Edited by Monkey Woman]
12-06-03 07:13 PM
glencar Over at Shidoobee, Exile started a thread about how Sonny Barger says that Hunter shot a Hell's Angel in the arm.
12-06-03 07:19 PM
SHINE A LIGHT watch the film,yes he had a gun...but i'm afraid i do not recall the bit about an "angel" getting shot??

"what a shame" (charlie, watching the film with mick j.)
12-06-03 07:21 PM
glencar Nor do I. Sonny Barger claims it happened but he's fairly unstable.
12-06-03 07:27 PM
J.J.Flash Yes my sweet Light, Charlie said: "Oh dear, what a shame".
12-06-03 07:29 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i just love your wording..."fairly unstable"...uh,yeah!!!
12-06-03 07:36 PM
SHINE A LIGHT is this "exile" person a friend of old sonny's???

"way to go, sonny" ( charlie, again to mick and the screen)
12-06-03 07:36 PM
glencar No, Exile's a friend of mine!
12-06-03 07:41 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
glencar wrote:
Over at Shidoobee, Exile started a thread about how Sonny Barger says that Hunter shot a Hell's Angel in the arm.

Anyway, it really does not matter my friend. Meredith had a gun no matter how good was his intentions. Meredith was in front of the stage and B.S. or not, he could hit Jagger. But I am not saying he deserved that brutality.

Shine, check your PM!
12-06-03 07:47 PM
glencar I agree with you, JJFlash.
12-06-03 07:48 PM
SHINE A LIGHT jjflash, check yours too!!!
12-06-03 07:53 PM
SHINE A LIGHT certainly, no one ever deserves violence of any kind. now i'm wondering...what ever became of poor old sonny???
12-06-03 07:55 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Anyway, it really does not matter my friend. Meredith had a gun no matter how good was his intentions.

Yes, it's the problem with guns. Whatever your intention it looks bad. Though it's obvious from witness testimonies at the time (see Stanley Booth's book) that Hunter only pulled it after being hassled by some Angels (perhaps because he was a black guy with a white girlfriend) and must have felt in fear for his life. Bad inspiration...
12-06-03 07:59 PM
Monkey Woman Sonny is alive and not well but still bad-mouthed. I think he had a tracheotomy at some time in recent years, due to throat cancer, wich he got through decades of smoking.
Here's a lesson for you, kids, no matter what kind of bad-ass you are, tobacco will make you ill. (Unless you're Keith Richards of course!)
12-06-03 08:04 PM
glencar
12-06-03 08:04 PM
gypsy Sonny is a pussy.
12-06-03 08:27 PM
SHINE A LIGHT MW.. if i may ask... where did you get that info about sonny?? no one should have cancer....smoking is really a"nasty habit" in all ways.
12-06-03 08:30 PM
glencar I read on the Shidobee thread(I think it was there) that he's very sick.
12-06-03 09:47 PM
gypsy Sick or not...he's still a pussy.
12-06-03 09:47 PM
Gazza he won't be a sad loss to mankind.
12-06-03 10:15 PM
Steel Wheels Some years ago I was in an office in Hollywood and there was a Sonny Barger project in the works. What a boring project I thought at the time...and still do!
12-07-03 08:28 AM
nankerphelge There was a recent interview of him on a Hell's Angles documentary on the History Channel. He did have a throatectomy (sorry, I can't spell tracheotomy).

He had to push it shut to get the air go move up his throat so he could talk. Sorta like playing a trumpet!

www.sonnybarger.com
12-07-03 08:40 AM
Monkey Woman Hi, Shine a light. I saw the info on Shidoobee, like Glencar. It was in a thread a few months ago, can't exactly remember when.
12-07-03 09:51 AM
glencar Even Sonny Barger has a website? Holy cow!
12-08-03 12:53 AM
parmeda
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Sick or not...he's still a pussy.

Amen!

I'm a Stones chick, the hubby is a Harley dude.
I can't begin to tell you how many 'heated' conversations the he and I have over this waste of human flesh...
12-08-03 11:46 AM
glencar Sonny Barger is somebody's hero? Really?