ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Royal Albert Memorial in London
Thanks Ruby Tuesday

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hendrix Tribute Disc (nsc) Return to archive
12-06-03 07:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Prince, Clapton 'Power' New Hendrix Tribute
By Wes Orshoski

NEW YORK (Billboard) - A Jimi Hendrix tribute disc being spearheaded by the rock icon's half-sister Janie Hendrix will feature a previously unreleased Stevie Ray Vaughan medley, as well as newly recorded covers from Prince, George Clinton and Bootsy Collins, Eric Clapton , Musiq and several others.

Titled "Power of Soul," after Hendrix's song of the same name, the disc will benefit the United Negro College Fund.

Due May 4 by Los Angeles-based Image Entertainment and in conjunction with Experience Hendrix, the album contains a 1983 live Vaughan medley of "Little Wing" and "Third Stone From the Sun," Musiq's cover of "Are You Experienced?," Eric Gales doing "Foxy Lady" and Prince's reimagination of "Red House" as "Purple House."

There will also be tracks from Sting, Santana, John Lee Hooker, Earth, Wind & Fire, Chaka Kahn with Kid Rock guitarist Kenny Olson, Sounds of Blackness, George Duke, Cee-Lo and Robert Randolph and the Family Band.

"Power of Soul" is certainly not the first Hendrix tribute. Aside from smaller, more independent celebrations, Warner Bros. in 1993 issued a high-profile Hendrix tribute, "Stone Free," with covers from Soundgarden, the Cure, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Seal and Belly.

"A lot of the tribute albums that have come out have concentrated on Jimi's rock side. This is really more of the soul, R&B feel," Janie Hendrix told Billboard.com. She said it's a project she's envisioned all her life, noting that it was in R&B that Jimi really paid his dues. "He was in chitlin-circuit bands and playing with Diana Ross (news), the Isley Brothers, Little Richard, all them. So, I'm just trying to shed that light, too."

All songs, with the exception of Hooker's previously issued version of "Red House," are new. Janie Hendrix said she had approached Hooker about recording a new cover, but he was physically unable to because of his declining health. He died in 2002.

She added that a major Hendrix DVD is in the works for late next year, but declined to give details.

Reuters/Billboard
12-06-03 01:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yes it does sound great.

HOWEVER!!!!

As with all the other "tribute" CDs out there, I have a feeling this one will be as lame as all the rest.

This disc is for a nice cause, and I hope it does well.

The problem that I find with "tribute" CDs is that most artist who participate find imaginative ways to take cool songs and make them boring. There are usually one or two worthwhile tracks and ten or twelve boring tracks.

There is a reason for this. Most good songs only sound good one way...the way they were originally done. If you do these songs with different arrangements, time signatures, or whatever, you usually end up degrading the song. The other option is to do the song like the original. Not much point in either way, IMO. Ruin a song, or do karoke, yawn.

Of course there are notable exceptions on these discs as well...but I'm not gonna spend $15.00 for a couple of cool cover songs and a pile of crap.
12-06-03 01:17 PM
glencar That what Kazaa is for!
12-06-03 02:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
Wow, sounds great.

It probably isn't a bad disc. But what I'm more concerned about is that f**king Ronaldo. How does he rate? How come he gets to hang out with that beautiful floozy? Life is so unfair. All he is is a soccer player.
12-06-03 02:40 PM
glencar The best in the world.
12-07-03 12:03 AM
Steel Wheels Miss U, I do apologize. Never do I read what you write due to these amazingly hot photos of that broad that catch my all American eye.
12-07-03 12:08 AM
glencar That's Luciana Morad in her posts. Miss U looks a bit different.
12-07-03 07:48 AM
caro I have the '93 tribute album, Stone Free. I rather like it, although none of the songs is really amazing.
I thought Living Colour doing "Crosstown Traffic" was very cool. I used to love Cure's "Purple Haze"...I relistened to it today, and was kind of disappointed. But I still do like the Cure...does anyone else here?

There's also a Seal/Jeff Beck cover of "Manic Depression" on the album, and Seal seems to try to sound exactly like Jimi. He's got it all down : the articulation, the way he stresses some words, etc. And IMO, it works quite well : not that it's better than the original; it's just more "absorbed", a little less excited. So that would be a good example of a cover that resembles the original and is still interesting - simply because Seal's really a good singer.
12-07-03 07:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
Don't worry about him; he's gone.

Well I guess he is. I hope you know I was just joking. Ronaldo is THE MAN!!! Even though he doesn't look as good as Luciana.
12-08-03 05:56 PM
icydanger Stevie Ray Vaughan's coverings are always great, Prince is funky crazy Eric Clapton "sunshine of my life", Hooker bluesy and and... looking forwards to this.

many talented musicians do great live interpretations of Jimi's songs, soul taking songs...
Ben Harper, Keziah Jones ... Luther Allison used to also.

"power of soul" fits the aim of the CD
yes, i like the Cure, too, say them last summer.