ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick with Alexis
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Mods & The Rolling Stones Return to archive
11-29-01 02:33 PM
Cardinal Ximinez I'm reading this book by Terry Rawlings called "Mod: A Very British Phenomenon". Very interesting. I'd always known that The Who & The Small Faces were big with the Mods. And, of course, Rod "The Mod" Stewart. But what about the Stones?

Ronnie Wood was in a big Mod band called "The Birds". This book has some outstanding early pics of Woody playing with the Birds(I'd never seen these pics before), and some of the Promo photos done for the Birds fan club.

Here's a quote from some old time Mods about the Stones:

"The Who, The Small Faces were the big names, but also the Rolling Stones. Nobody could really make out what they were. They were a cross between Mods and Rockers-you couldn't really catagorize them. They were totally individual, but they used to wear Mod clothes. You've only got to look at those early pictures, and they were wearing bang-up-to-date Mod clothes, but with really dodgy hair. They never really got it quite right, but we liked the fact that they were individual. Grown up beatniks!"

"The Rolling Stones played R&B but mixed it up with Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley material. They built up a big, big Mod following. Eventually, the Mods went off them. Their fist single was a dodgy cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On", which wasn't particularlly good. I think that turned a lot of them off."

"We fucking hated The Beatles, and we only liked the Stones up to a point."

There's some other Stones info in the book, but mostly it's stuff that's in other books as well. I just thought those quotes above were kinda interesting. So are the pics. Next time you are at Barnes and Noble, check it out.
11-29-01 04:35 PM
Cardinal Fang Hey Cardinal X!

Before I begin, I hope your "Stones" are better.

Does this book say anything about what ever happened to The Birds lead singer Ali MacKenzie? Or does anyone else know? If you have not ever heard any of The Birds stuff, it's pretty good actually. If you like early Kinks/Who you will like them. Really, really CRUNCHY. I really like MacKenzie's vocals too. Sounds almost EXACTLY like Roger Daltrey My Generation era except with even more attitude. It's NO WONDER that Pete Townshend got them signed to Reaction Records and even gave them "Run, Run, Run" (which I.M.O. The Birds version is better than The Who's) You know what else? On the new Ronnie Wood album Ronnie does a cover of "Leaving Here" which is a song that The Birds also covered. (so did The Who)

This is a band that Joey should probably also check out. There was a really good OFFICIAL comp. that came out a couple of years ago called (something like) "Collectors Guide to Rare British Birds" I'm pretty sure it's still in print too. I got mine used for $6.00.

On an unrelated matter, you mean us Cardinal's are NOT supposed to be getting blow jobs? I must of missed that meeting. (or meating) Also, we were supposed to be putting the coke in THE WINE? I was putting it some place else. NOW you tell me.

Later, Cardinal Fang

11-29-01 07:32 PM
Cardinal Ximinez Yeah, and from the look on your face in your avatar, I know EXACTLY where you were putting the coke!

Cardinals getting no head? Not on my watch. I say we can have all we want.
11-29-01 09:39 PM
Lacride As far as I remember, we've never considered the Stones as Mods! My first contact with the "British Invasion" here on the Continent (Europe): Stones, Alexis Corner, Lulu, Yardbirds, Manfred Man, Zombies, Kinks, Animals, Pretty Things an so on, years 63-64. Just a few later, came the Mods (Who, SFaces, Just Us and Move, Status Quo...). Most of these guys are a bit younger. I belong to the Mod-Generation (born in 50). I'm a GREAT Stones Fan, from the first second, but in my eyes, the boys had absolutely nothing to do with Mods and they didn't consider themselves as Mods! Go back to "Quadrophenia" (both LP and film): Pete Townshend made a very accurate psychological portrait of the Mods.
11-30-01 10:35 AM
Cardinal Ximinez No, the Stones certainly were not Mods. And I think the quotes from the above Mods bear that out. The Mods LIKED the Stones, but didn't consider them a Mod band.

This book I read also had some quotes about how a Mod hobby was to go to Stones gigs and start punch ups. These brawls went a long way in helping the Stones establish a "bad boy" image. The Stones were banished for many years from the Marquee Club because of all the trouble during their shows.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.