ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick with Alexis
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones not sell as before (The 12.000 Mick�s copies didn�t surprise) Return to archive
11-27-01 09:30 PM
Fedepeti Stones and mick�s last charts are very bad

No Security (UK, # 67 // USA, # 34)
Goddess (UK, # 44)

While others increase their sales the stones they lower them
Others old artist in example:

Beatles Anthology 1 (1995)
Beatles Anthology 2 (1996)
Beatles Anthology 3 (1996)
1 (2000) (20 millions worldwide)
All went No. 1 (4 No. 1 in 5 years)

McCartney�s compilation "Wingspac" went No. 5 in th UK and hits # 2 in USA. This album sell fairly "Driving Rain", by "Flaming Pie" hits # 2 in the UK and USA in 1997

Elton get high records sales with the 1997 single and spend at # 1 much weeks
His Last Album Hits Top 5 in the UK, Top 15 in USA (gold award)

Dylan Got Two Top 10 albums in the last 4 years (the last peak # 5 his best since the 70s)

Rod Stewart last two albums "Humans" and "Greatest Hits" go top 10 in UK

Sting "All..." (UK # 3) // Pink Floyd (UK / USA # 2) // Bee Gees (his last two albums hits # 2 and # 5) and others hits albums or singles.

Mick only went # 44 (with 12.193 copies in the first week)
No Security only went # 67 (USA # 34 in only 2 weeks at Top 100)
Bridges hits # 3 in USA but is the second shorty studio album stay since 1965 (Metamorphisis is the first)
In the UK was # 6 (minor peak position of any studio album in UK)
The Last UK Number one single was in 1969 (except Mick and Bowie in 1985)
The Sales and Charts Speak alone...

The Stones not sell as before

I expect what "Goddess" enters at the top 15 in the USA and with much lucky at the top 10.
11-27-01 10:43 PM
yellow1 This is all very nice but you seem to have missed the fact that most of this stuff is greatest hits material. You "conveniently" forget McCartney's horrendous performance with the recently released "Driving Rain"...I think it was #46 in the UK on its first week and then dropped out entirely...
11-28-01 07:45 AM
Mathijs Nice charts, but aren't there some mistakes?? I am not one to keep tracks of official sales, but didn't Angie, Miss You and Start Me Up go No. 1 in the UK (as in the USA)?

Wasn't Rod Stewert sacked by his record company due to minimal sales of his last few albums? Sting's last album did well, but he released two albums before that went completely unnoticed. Elton John's Rose of England (brr...) sold millions (30 mil I believe) but his last few albums didn't do anything, as I recall correctly??

11-28-01 09:38 PM
VOODOO No Security was the 3rd
11-28-01 10:01 PM
VOODOO No Security was the 4th Stones live record in the 90's for the Stones that is why it did not sell well.

How many live Stones records do we need? I am a die hard Stones fan but even I did not buy No Security (It was given to me months later)

It'really not fair to compare the sales of No Security (The 4th Live record from the stones in the 90's) to the Beatles Antholgy. For christ sakes it had the first new Beatles song (Free as a Bird) in 25 years on it. It was billed as the Beatles reunion. It was a pop culture landmark while No Security was just another live Stones record. Is it any wonder that the first new Beatles music in 25 years was a worldwide blockbuster?

The Beatles are the most popular act in the history of entertainment. Even the mighty Rolling Stones are not as popular as the Beatles but then again nobody is.

As far as Jaggger's solo record goes it's exactly that a solo record. It's not the Stones. For some reason people don't take Jagger as a solo artist very serious. Don't forget Primitive Cool sold even worse than his lattest solo record. But the next Stones record Steel Wheels (9 million sold) was the second biggest studio record the Stones ever had.

The new stuff by the Stones has sold quite well around the world. Steel Wheels 9 million Voodoo 8 milion Bridges 4.7 million.

The Stones have been around for 40 years and clearly they do not appeal to 17 year old girls like the many disposable boy bands and mediocre rock bands that mtv gives us on a daily basis. Besides why would you want the Stones to compete on that level anymore? How silly would it be to see the Stones trying to sell records to the Britney Spears or Limp Bisket crowd.
Nobody is even going to remember hacks like limp Bisket in 6 months anyway.

But the Stones are still a force and of the older rockers they are the biggest sellers today.

Another point is that the Stones NEVER could compete with the likes of the Beatles as far as sales go. They are not a pop group that appeals to as big of a crowd.
11-29-01 04:29 AM
Diamonds Disease I just don�t get it. Is it really important to you people, how well stones records do in the charts?? Just enjoy the fact that you people got better taste in music then the mainstream.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.